Eagle Cranks

Someone explain the advantage of the rods to me. I could see if our rods were a weak point, but I don't remember anyone who had rods issues....

:confused:

Originally posted by TransAm WS6 420
Someone explain the advantage of the rods to me. I could see if our rods were a weak point, but I don't remember anyone who had rods issues....

:confused:

The stock rods have proven to be pretty tough, but obviously forged rods would be stronger..... I think it's just a matter of having the piece of mind.... A lot of guys would much rather over build their motor..... Kind of like those guys that are running 10's with a Stage block:)

The stock rods are cast. Not that great for keeping it togther. The stock rods have no locator dowels for the rod caps and it make is almost imposible to resize the rods precisely and to assemble them and have them stray round. Everyone call eagle.

So has anyone called and gotten the latest on this? Or are we still going with.....what ever the release date is one them now...;)

Release date on what? The cranks are at eagle now ready to ship. Stock stroke only int balance. The rods are not even in the works yet.

Neal

Oh Ok..I must have missed that. Is there a site offering more info? How bout price?
Thanks

Double L.... You must have missed page 1 :D Cheapest so far is Summit at $531.00 and I am pretty sure the shipping is free.

Yep summit is the deal. I can buy it for 525.00 from Eagle plus shipping but the summit deal is great. They only charge that service fee. They don't have any in stock as only one has left eagle so far.

Hey guys this is what i call info. I talked to the guy that is "the man" in Mississippi on buick machine work ( Jeff) and he talked to Eagle and said exactly what has been said here all day looks like . The buick cranks are at their place and ready to be shipped and I'm glad to hear it. Mine will be here shortly and I will probably run stock rods, if Eagle comes out with some rods that will be great. I would like to say that we should all thank Eagle and Tim there for makin this possible for giving our cars a great lift and a bright spot in our hobby .

thanxs Eagle and your staff for this product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanxs everyone now lets all run some 9s

Randy (The Redneck)

Originally posted by CallMeMud
Double L.... You must have missed page 1 :D Cheapest so far is Summit at $531.00 and I am pretty sure the shipping is free.

Yes I did miss page 1...:( Man its been a rough week !:rolleyes:

Howdy,

I couldn't help but notice that these cranks are internally balanced, how does that affect the balancer and flexplate needs of the motor if I was going to drop it into a stock 4.1 or 3.8? Any other complications that prevent this from being a balance and swap type deal?

Thanks,

These are internal balanced cranks which means

1.) you need to purchase an aftermarket internally balanced balancer ($300-$400)

2.) you need to purchase an aftermarket internally balanced flexplate ($200)

You can not use the stock balancer and flexplate with this crank.

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
Howdy,

I couldn't help but notice that these cranks are internally balanced, how does that affect the balancer and flexplate needs of the motor if I was going to drop it into a stock 4.1 or 3.8? Any other complications that prevent this from being a balance and swap type deal?Thanks,

We have used Eagle [and other aftermarket cranks] for years and most are NOT a "drop-in" piece. Other than balance, we often have to touch up the journals and thrust surface. We have been in contact with Eagle over the many months of development of this crank have discussed many of the particulars with them.

Since no one has yet tried to install a Eagle Buick crank in the field, we expect this to be a learning experience. We prefer to internal balance like most race motors, but will explore the possibility of external balance like the stock cast crank. If not, the only Buick turbo internal balancer is from BHJ and is over $400.

OUCH!

That fact alone might drive me back to my orginal intention of using a stock turbo cast crank. I'm sure used ones are not floating around of that balancer or flexplate. The machine work I was expecting so thats not all that surprising but the cost of the balancer alone is more than if I would have to replace my entire rotating assembly with new balancer and flexplate and a used turbo crank. So the balloon has burst on this wonderful idea.

Thanks,

balancer

I have (1) new BMS neutral balance (internal) balancer for sale. According to the parts guy @ GM dealership, they are still available from GM. Sorry don/t have the part #. Around $300 @ GM.

Would that be 25500172 , Stage II Competition Hub? GMPartsDirect has them for $231.42 + $46.28 S&H.

Tom