Eagle Cranks

Howdy,

Was the stage II NASCAR stuff internally balanced or externally? I know they still make selected pieces of that engine.

Thanks,

hub

Price sounds about right. List for $300 plus. My wholesale price was $281.
I believe all Stage stuff is internally balanced.
I would part with my new one for $150.

Anyone have a rough estimate on what it will cost to internally balance an entire motor? Since this crank is a "internally balanced" i'm guessing to balance the whole rotating assembly internally compared to externally, could be a little more costly?

:confused:

Normally there is no difference in labor/price for internal or external balance. If "heavy metal" is need to internal balance, that would cost additional.

Since we have not seen or worked with the new Eagle crank, could only speculate on what is needed. Hopefully, by this time next week we will have had the opportunity to check out one of them.:)

Howdy,

Lee, can I be first in line for the $150 damper, you wouldn't happen to have an internal balance flexplate too would you, till the results are in on the amount of work it takes to get one of these cranks feilded? I am very, very interested in these cranks since it will turn my engine from a time bomb to something I can beat on with no hesitation.

Thanks,

Can't the stock flexplate be modified to be neutral balance? I'm thinking that I read that in the Power Source Manual.

Lee, I emailed you on the hub.

tyvm,
Tom

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Normally there is no difference in labor/price for internal or external balance. If "heavy metal" is need to internal balance, that would cost additional.

Since we have not seen or worked with the new Eagle crank, could only speculate on what is needed. Hopefully, by this time next week we will have had the opportunity to check out one of them.:)

Thanks for the reply Nick. :)

I spoke to local machine shop that does a lot of the balancing for race motors in my area. There is no difference in the price for an external balance vs. an internal balance. However, I was warned to pre-mount the crank with your rods, pistons, etc..to check clearances issues with the pistons, that could require modifications to the crank for it to work properly before you give the go ahead to balance the rotating assembly. It would suck to balance it, and then have to have the crank modfied to make it work and then have it rebalanced. Basically double the cost.

This particular machinist mentioned he had seen some inconsistence's with eagle cranks in the past, and would preassemble the rotating assembly to confirm everything was right.

I am by no means, suggesting there will be this particular problem with this crank, but would rather be safe and richer, then sorry and poorer. ;)

If you are racing the car faster than 10s, you should just pick up a BHJ balancer, and JW Flywheel and make the car NHRA Legal.

I believe if you are in the 10's, NHRA wants you to have the SFI legal balancer and fly wheel. Not completely certain on that.

Alex,

You are correct, they do not look to hard out here unless you are in the bottom 10s of faster though.

Originally posted by John Wilde
I am thinking about trying one in a stage 2 4.1 block.
I think with 260CI I will still make over 1200hp and
thats if I stay with the PT-88. Who makes good narrow
journel rods????

John, I remember seeing a thread on here a while back about narrow journal rods, but I can't seem to find it with the search feature:( I'm pretty sure Carrillo makes the narrow journal rods as well as Oliver.....

Alex,

You are correct, they do not look to hard out here unless you are in the bottom 10s of faster though.

John,

Funny this subject just came up. I was talking with Orlando(local buick guy that has went 10.0@134) and he has all stock stuff.(balancer, crank, rods, etc..) I mention this crank to him, and were talking about the additional cost to do it right, and he mentioned Moroso(our local track) has not really bothered him about his balancer or flywheel.

So I guess unless you are running 9's or faster, or you have a SOB for a tech guy @ your local track, you could get away with the stock stuff.

Originally posted by blackshoebox
John,

Funny this subject just came up. I was talking with Orlando(local buick guy that has went 10.0@134) and he has all stock stuff.(balancer, crank, rods, etc..) I mention this crank to him, and were talking about the additional cost to do it right, and he mentioned Moroso(our local track) has not really bothered him about his balancer or flywheel.

So I guess unless you are running 9's or faster, or you have a SOB for a tech guy @ your local track, you could get away with the stock stuff.

Just hope you don't get azgn (Woody) as a tech guy:eek: ;)

Wow, I am getting tag teamed by the brothers! =)

Alex,

It is your call, but since you are think about going the to Eagle Crank your flywheel and Balancer will work when you and Steve go stage or TA in a couple years!

Steve,

I thought Dan told me when he worked at precision that Cunnigham was going to make a forged replacement rod.
He was not in when I called DLS to confirm.

John, Cunningham would probably be the ticket as I know a lot of the Stage guys like Cal Hartline use their rods....

Steve,

I just spoke to Greg Cunnighman (70 yrs plus)
he said that his rods are $180 each.
These are great rods but we are looking at $1080
a set! I think we need to get eagle to make some
for us!

I just talked to ATR. $795 for 4340 forged. None in stock, but alledgedly 1-1.5 weeks if I order them.

Can anyone comment on this product and ATR's reputation as far as delivery times, etc?

Any vendors likely to stock them?

tyvm,
Tom

Who is the builder of the rods ATR sells?
If they are from Oliver, Carillo, Cunnigham or
some one of theru calibur that is a good deal.

Steve,

I just spoke to Greg Cunnighman (70 yrs plus)
he said that his rods are $180 each.
These are great rods but we are looking at $1080
a set! I think we need to get eagle to make some
for us!

John, yep I agree we all need to get on the phone and call Eagle so they make those rods!