Ever been beat by a Mustang? Let's hear about it

Notch_n_ator

In honor of the upcoming Ford vs Buick event, I figured I'd post this question.

Ever been beat by a 'Stang? Were you surprised, what were the mods on both cars? ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to run a few GNs when my car gets put back together. Still working on last years winter project :eek: :p

i beat a modified 93-96? mustang GT....in my stock buick park avenue ultra

does that count? :D

Wait till I get mine running (finally!) :) I'm not one of them 'Stangers that are blinded by Vorturd, I figured out that turbos are better :cool:

I guess I got beat ONCE last year. l I had to let off because my grill was facing his door when my tranny shifted to second:D Normally most stang drivers know better,guess this guy had a big bowl of Wheaties or something and was feeling froggy.
I like stangs,even had a 68 fastback 302 4 spd a few years back, but anyone can get a Mustang, takes a special breed to drive a 3600lb black brick.(I'd still like to get another Mustang,easy to tweek up)

I happened to educate a GN owner on my way to Englishtown for the GN vs Mustangs shootout 2 years ago. He didn't expect me to shoot by him at 70 like he hit reverse with a T-76 screaming. He was a cool guy with a very clean GN. I spent most my time looking at all of the GNs in the parking lot.

I was seeing mustangs everyday on the street and in the shop and it was a nice change. In my mind, the GN is a legend and I had to have one. Eventually, it will get a built shortblock, P&P heads & a big turbo to rundown some of my mustang buddies.

lets see...

raced a few old ones, haven't lost yet
raced a lot of 5.slows, haven't lost yet
raced a lot of new gt's, haven't lost yet
raced an 03 cobra, won that one

i did run into a new mach one when i had 500 lbs of friends in my car, pump gas, low boost, street tires. it was pretty close but he pulled on me off the line and i didnt' have time to run him down. but after that i beat a few mach 1's at the track.

Originally posted by denn454
lets see...

raced a few old ones, haven't lost yet
raced a lot of 5.slows, haven't lost yet
raced a lot of new gt's, haven't lost yet
raced an 03 cobra, won that one

i did run into a new mach one when i had 500 lbs of friends in my car, pump gas, low boost, street tires. it was pretty close but he pulled on me off the line and i didnt' have time to run him down. but after that i beat a few mach 1's at the track.

How did you beat the Cobra??? They can run faster than a 12.97 stock w/ a good driver :confused:

Originally posted by Notch_n_ator
I like GNs except for the sound of the engine :p
That spooling sound is what I like the most!:)
I don't have a GN but I have been beaten by Mustangs; '03 Cobras on the street (twice) and a supercharged early-mid '80s fox body at the dragstrip. That guy gave me the worst ass-whipping ever, about 1 1/2 seconds.:(

How did you beat the Cobra??? They can run faster than a 12.97 stock w/ a good driver :confused:
"With a good driver" is the key there. They are hard to drive, I've heard. I beat the only one I've raced at the track. He went 13.9 @ 108, must've missed a shift or something. 60 ft wasn't too bad, better than mine.

I hammered on an 03 Cobra last year, He even got a good jump on me, but not enough for the TE45A. Typical Stanger, he turned off the first chance he had. Will they EVER learn?:D
Ray

Hey, not all 'Stang owners will run away after a whoopin, some take it like a man. I've never been beat yet in my stang, but then again I've only raced about 4-5 people (83 Transam, 350, holly double pumper, alum. heads, 12:1 comperssion, etc; Honda ;) ; some riced out Mazda truck w/ airbags, that was EZ ; some stripped S10 w/ no interior, no windows, or anything :eek: , etc)

But, I haven't raced anything to fast though. Whenever I get my car running, I'm heading to the dragstrip.

First time ever running a car I ran a 9.7 @ 73mph in the 1/8 :( It was then I parked the car, pulled the engine, sold the AOD (stupid stock torque converter). Now I have another engine in it (previous owner put some dumb flattappet Compcam in a roller block! :eek: that explains why it ran so sluggish), etc. Now w/ the twin T3s and some other stuff, it should run :cool:

The fastest Cobra that I have seen run was a 12.8 on Drag radials. He said he had cams, intake, exhaust, a pully and one other thing that I can't remember.

Of course where denn454 and I race, at over a mile above sea level, a 13 second car is a fast car and a 12 second street car is a REALLY FAST car.

Originally posted by 6 beats 8
I hammered on an 03 Cobra last year, He even got a good jump on me, but not enough for the TE45A. Typical Stanger, he turned off the first chance he had. Will they EVER learn?:D
Ray

Damn, I would hope you would have destroyed him with that setup. It would have been like me racing a near stock GN with my GT. I would have needed buses to measure the lengths.

All things change once the mods start. I have seen 03 Cobras with pulley and exhaust mods run mid 11s in the low 120s. With Kenne Blowers, which only takes a few hours to install, they run 10s on pump gas with nothing more than the blower, injectors, chip & sticky tire. It is definitely the modern day GN except the engine, rear & transmission have the parts to handle more than double the hp they come from the factory with.

They've had an 03 Cobra w/a turbo IN THE 8s and never even lifted a valvecover before then. To my knowledge it's still holding up ;)

I have a pretty mean GN and My 93 Cobra is still faster, Took down many of GN's with it, some gave up while the tires were still in the air!

Originally posted by twin 93 svt
I have a pretty mean GN and My 93 Cobra is still faster, Took down many of GN's with it, some gave up while the tires were still in the air!

What are the specs on the Cobra? :)

I haven't been beaten by a Mustang yet.....but I only put 2k miles per year on the car and only get to the track a few times a year. So the opportunity to run into one is pretty rare even though they are everywhere.

Nothing really makes me worry much at the stoplight drags except for the '03+ Cobras, Supras and of course other TRs. I've gotten revved at by a couple different '03+ Cobras but the stars haven't aligned in such a way that I've lined up with one. I do know, after watching them at the track, that stock appearing ones would give me a run for my money.

My next 'fun' car purchase will likely be one of those. My uncle is bound to come up with one one of these days (sells rebuilt salvage cars - my GN is one). He had a triple black droptop '03 earlier this year but I don't want another Mustang convertible (BTDT).

Welcome to the board Notch.

Jim