First timer. TA-49 @ 15 psi = 14.0 @ 96

Went to the track yesterday for the first time with my 87 GN. It was hot, mid 80's and pretty humid. I was still hoping for a bit faster times. All runs were pretty consistent, the best one went like this:

60' - 2.01
594' - 8.43
1/8 - 8.98 @ 81.6 mph
1/4 - 14.0 @ 96.6 mph

o2 mV were in the 760s and 0KR for all runs.
Launched at ~ 5 psi of boost
Boost at 15 psi
Fuel pressure at ~ 60 psi
TC unlocked

Mods to the car are:
K&N
TA-49
Strech stock laction IC
RJC power plate
009 Injectors
Hot wired walboro
3 in DP, no cat, 2.5 inch duals
TT 93 oct chip
adj FPR
275/50/15 Nitto DRs @ 30 psi
right side air bag

Engine has 120K, unrebuilt.

Any comments?

Went to the track yesterday for the first time with my 87 GN. It was hot, mid 80's and pretty humid. I was still hoping for a bit faster times. All runs were pretty consistent, the best one went like this:

60' - 2.01
594' - 8.43
1/8 - 8.98 @ 81.6 mph
1/4 - 14.0 @ 96.6 mph

Boost at 15 psi
TC unlocked

Mods to the car are:
K&N
TA-49
Strech stock laction IC
RJC power plate
009 Injectors
Hot wired walboro
TT 93 oct chip
adj FPR
right side air bag

Any comments?

Congratulations on getting to the track.
I would expect you to be able to run in the 100 plus range with your mods.
It looks like you are making around 275HP which is what these cars should make stock.
Considering your mods you should be able to run more boost and pick up some MPH. IMO the low timing and boost are killing the power.
What is the elevation for the track?

Also if you have not already
you should consider changing out your valve springs and timing chain.

Track elevation is at or near sea level. I'm in Michigan. Valve springs and timing chain are planned. Maybe alky as well over the winter. Why do you say the timing is low? The chip is a turbo tweak 93 octance chip. Next track visit I'll bump the boost a pound or two. Do you suggest also advancing the timing a bit? How much of a gain would locking the TC add? Seems like this combo should be a low 13 on straight 94. Maybe worn springs are holding me back that much?

Also coolant temps at the start of each run were around 210, at the end they were 225 - 228. Is this typical? As I said it was 85 degrees yesterday.

Thanks for the additional information:

-The timing is low on almost all street chips
This helps you run a little more boost on your set up.
For example I can run 17psi on my junk with crappy California 91

-I am concerned with your coolant temperatures.
They seem very high for your car's combination.
I am a little worried that you have a blown head gasket.
Can you check the oil on the dip stick, look at the water in the radiator and get
back to us?

Keep in mind your water pump and or radiator could be under performing as well.
Have you ever put a 160 thermostat in the car?

My combo is very siimlar to yours only stock turbo and injectors. I just took mine to the track for the first time last weekend , weather station said over 4000' and the car went 13.1@100mph leaving at 5-6lbs boost with a 1.80 60' time.
I have the Red Armstrong 93 chip and am making around 19lbs. boost.

60' - 2.01
594' - 8.43
1/8 - 8.98 @ 81.6 mph
1/4 - 14.0 @ 96.6 mph

Boost at 15 psi
TC unlocked

Mods to the car are:
K&N
TA-49
Strech stock laction IC
RJC power plate
009 Injectors
Hot wired walboro
TT 93 oct chip
adj FPR
right side air bag

Any comments?
Why is your fuel pressure so high? At idle with the vacuum line OFF it should be at like 42lbs or so.

Why is your fuel pressure so high? At idle with the vacuum line OFF it should be at like 42lbs or so.

Ditto.

I went 11.53 with that turbo with smaller injectors with my fuel pressure at 46 psi with the line off.

Just went out to the garage. Oil looks like oil. Coolant looks like coolant. Lots of deposit build up inside the radiator though, a radiator should probably be added to the to do list. However, there was no fluid in the over flow, which I know that there was not to long ago, even cold. I have not installed a 160 deg stat, I'm not sure what is in there.

I also thought fuel pressure was high at 60 psi with only 15 psi of boost. Scanmaster does not indicate rich though with o2 mV being in the 760s, albeit with a narrow band sensor. I set the fuel pressure to 42 psi before going to the track with the vaccum disconnected, with it connected it reads approx. 35 psi.

Ditto.

I went 11.53 with that turbo with smaller injectors with my fuel pressure at 46 psi with the line off.
WOW, is there any way you can list your MOd's... im running the same turbo, with #50's, stock ic with dutt neck(front mount on its way:biggrin: ) 3inch DP, RJC Power Plate, Walbro Fuel Pump with Hot wire Kit, After Market FP Regulater, Reds 93 Chip, 160 Thermostat, High Flow Water Pump, And True Art Car 9 inch Converter, Hot o2, and im sure im leaving something out.......... i still havent ran the car, i got an exhaust leak that i need to fix before i take it down to the track.... what do you think??? sorry for high jacking the thred.......:biggrin:

60' - 2.01
594' - 8.43
1/8 - 8.98 @ 81.6 mph
1/4 - 14.0 @ 96.6 mph

Boost at 15 psi
TC unlocked

Mods to the car are:
K&N
TA-49
Strech stock laction IC
RJC power plate
009 Injectors
Hot wired walboro
TT 93 oct chip
adj FPR
right side air bag

Any comments?
good run for 15 psi need to launch harder i went 12.98 at 104 on straight 94 octane then i went to alky injection and went 11.60's on 93 and meth. i launch at 10 to 13 psi and 25 psi of boost timing 27/25