Fuel Pump Access Panel

Just a question on this....Does anyone have measurements on the ideal location of where to cut this access panel opening?

Here is where I did it. The cuts are highlighted in red. The penciled circle with the hole in the upper left is were the sending unit is. Need to cut further to the right then the left for access to the fuel lines.

GN_FuelPump_11a.jpg

Cutting via a cut-off creates a lot of steel dust, hence the newspaper to contain it. Also blew off the top of the tank when done with an air hose.

I also recommend that the tank be dropped down some via the front retaining bolts. Don't need to remove the bolts, just loosen as far as possible to give more room between the truck floor and the fuel lines.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Here is where I did it. The cuts are highlighted in red. The penciled circle with the hole in the upper left is were the sending unit is. Need to cut further to the right then the left for access to the fuel lines.

I plan on cutting a 14x10 rectangle out which seems to be pretty close to what you have marked on the picture.
Also plan on going to the junk yard and cutting out a 15x11 panel out of another gbody and using that as the new cover with retaining screws and weather stripping.
My question is what area do I need to be extra careful with possibly even sliding a steel plate in between the trunk and gas tank after I make the less critical cuts?

View attachment 256793

Cutting via a cut-off creates a lot of steel dust, hence the newspaper to contain it. Also blew off the top of the tank when done with an air hose.

I also recommend that the tank be dropped down some via the front retaining bolts. Don't need to remove the bolts, just loosen as far as possible to give more room between the truck floor and the fuel lines.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I plan on cutting a 14x10 rectangle out which seems to be pretty close to what you have marked on the picture.
Also plan on going to the junk yard and cutting out a 15x11 panel out of another gbody and using that as the new cover with retaining screws and weather stripping.
My question is what area do I need to be extra careful with possibly even sliding a steel plate in between the trunk and gas tank after I make the less critical cuts?

> My question is what area do I need to be extra careful

Mostly to the right where the fuel lines are. If nervous (understandable), drop the front tank bolts and lower the tank a few inches front & back. I too used a piece of sheet metal under the trunk pan. Did the same when I drilled the retaining screw holes. I didn't worry about cutting the harness on the left side as I was replacing it.

For the hatch I used a piece of sheet metal from an '85 Buick Regal truck lid (hey, I'm all OEM :cool:). Being mostly flat used body caulk to seal, 6-32 machine screws, and 6-32 speed nuts to retain. Then a sheet of 3 or 4 mil plastic over it so that the trunk carpet doesn't stick to the caulk.

Put the trunk carpet back in place and it looks factory. Just need to be careful of where the screws protrude and by how much.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Completed this today...used a Dremel Saw Max which allowed me to control the depth of the cuts. The strainer looked really bad so I put a new one in and so far no stalling.

Attachments

• IMG_20150622_132720.jpg
    IMG_20150622_132720.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 208
Get a large mouth funnel and duct tape it into your shop vac hose. Place in front of the flying steel filings. Makes clean-up a whole lot easier.

When I changed the fuel pump sock I noticed some brass colored shavings in the tank.....I'm assuming they are from the fuel pump....any thoughts on that?

Was a welder for 40 yrs and did a lot of cutting (wizzers) and grinders. If your going to use one of these in the confined trunk are get a large mouth funnel, attach a strong shop vac to the spout end with duct or any tape and place the opening where the metal is flying to. Bring the spout in as close as possible and the filings will get sucked in instead of flying all over the trunk area as well as a lot of the metal dust that is definitely going to be there. Please use a pair oof goggles and dust mask also. Hope this aids in your cutting. I don't have a digital camera to show you the set up. Hope you understand my blabber.

My Fuel Pump turned out to be the issue I was having. Thanks to this panel, the job took all of 10 minutes with 16 gallons in the tank.

Yep, that's also why I did a panel. Where 'o where does one store 18 gallons of Ultra 93 in order to drop the tank.

RemoveBeforeFlight