Glowing headers

Quick89

Motor back together!! Wants to stall when started cold. Once producing some heat idle is ok. EGT is 1500 to 1600 at idle with the headers glowing red. Have checked fuel pressure and used propane to detect any vacuum leaks, plugs are normal in color and compression test is ok. If lifter preload was excessive and the valves were not seating could this be the cause? Any ideas, maybe do a leakdown to determine if they were seated.

Originally posted by Quick89
Motor back together!! Wants to stall when started cold. Once producing some heat idle is ok. EGT is 1500 to 1600 at idle with the headers glowing red. Have checked fuel pressure and used propane to detect any vacuum leaks, plugs are normal in color and compression test is ok. If lifter preload was excessive and the valves were not seating could this be the cause? Any ideas, maybe do a leakdown to determine if they were seated.

HOLY****!!1 1500-1600 egt at idle?!?!?! Be careful.... I get 1490 EGT at 28psi for about 5sec (130mph).

I agree with 87 national 1500 to 1600 at idle i never seen that with my car only at a wot pass.