Great track day yesterday....new best on pump gas

Amelio

went down to Silver dollar yesterday....the weather was perfect low to mid 60's and it was not crowded at all. I wanted to make some passes to see how my new converter performed since getting reworked. I installed a new PTC last season took it to the track at the end of the year and the car slowed down a lot. Took the converter back out and sent it back to PTC. They made some adjustments and the car has felt great on the street.

I wanted to see what I could get the car to do on pump gas only since thats how I roll on the street....I have an alky system but need to get a controller. So my first pass I left soft basically no boost stall maybe 1 psi just a shake down run it ran 12.42 @109 this was 17psi

I reviewed the log and it was clean so I gave it a few degrees and left at 6psi....the car hooked did a 1.60 60' and 11.80 @112.5 still at 17psi I was very happy at this ponit!

reviewd the log still clean and gave the car a lil more timing.....this time I wanted to leave hard...I was able to hold 10psi but as soon as I let the brake go the tires went away real bad........

Made another pass this time the only adjustment was dropping the air pressure in my tires.....10psi launch again same problem blew the tires off.

At this point I was thinking it was the track because some other guys were having problems too....made another pass did not change anything lowed my launch boost to 7psi when I left it slightly spun but I drove through it with a 1.78 60' and a 12.0

I was done it just was not gonna hook...either way I was very happy....I think that 10psi launch would have been 11.6ish if it stuck....but still I am tickled for an 11.80 on pump gas @17psi:)

You should be pleased, great runs and great description of your runs. Only thing better would've been video and better than that would've been riding shotgun.
Congratulations on the great day!! Have you posted your modifications anywhere?
Thanks,
Joel

You should be pleased, great runs and great description of your runs. Only thing better would've been video and better than that would've been riding shotgun.
Congratulations on the great day!! Have you posted your modifications anywhere?
Thanks,
Joel

Thanks I am very happy with the car....I do have video I just dont know how to post it lol!

I try to give good descriptions because thats how I learn from other members so I try to do the same I enjoy helping.....

as far as riding shotgun i rode in the pass seat for 2 runs....the wife wanted to make a pass....she has never before so I backed the boost way down and pulled timing...it was hilarious!

Thats another thing I love about these cars is with minor adjustments they can be very docile or set to kill......she was nervous everytime it spooled she would lift......ran a 14.8 still pretty good for a first time...had she stayed in it probably would have went through at 13.8 or so the boost was as low as I could get it.

As far as my combo nothing speacial......

stock short block just studed and girdled with a decent set of pistons
stock heads and intake ported and polished by champion...bigger valves
210/215 roller cam
SLIC 1 1/2 with big neck TE-66
55# injectors twin walbro 340's (only use one with this low boost)
200r4 with all the goodies and a 3200 NL stall PTC converter

A bunch of other small stuff and and suspesion mods nothing crazy thats the meat and potatoes.

I dont run a lot of boost just because I wanna keep it simple and safe....the car is fun power everything a great sound syste and a/c...its a fun street car!

Thanks for the details, sounds like a great day had by all. Great that she drove it at the track! Fun stuff.
I just got my first GN (1986) and in the middle of going through everything before I take her out for her first real drive. She was in a barn for the last 18 years and has 17588 miles. I'm going through all the obvious stuff to try to avoid a meltdown on day one. I am just about there. I am ordering new intercooler couplers as mine are falling apart, I pulled the intercooler to clean it and noticed the couplers are done for. No oil in the intercooler though. I just dropped off the rims for new tires, she still had the original goodyear eagle GT's. Today I replaced the wastegate and turbo vacuum hoses. First thing I did was swap out the powermaster for vacuum, the accumulator ball was shot and figured why fight with it after all i read. I've got a little on and brakes are the most important part really. Will be fun car but much to do after sitting for so long. Registration sticker on the windshield is from 1995. LOL

Joel

very nice....make sure to check and re-check evrything especially your vacum lines....I would also look into your fuel system and check over all the wiring critters love to eat that stuff!

The vacum breaks are great I converted mine a few years ago....have not had an issue since.

Post up some pics of you ride

Will do
No evidence anywhere of criters yet, the barn had many cars and many rodent traps

I think i will need to replace all rubber items sooner or later

Will do fuel filter tomorrow and based on posts i should do the fuel pump. Will burn through some fuel first as yhe tank.is fairly full

Will get some pictures as soon as i get it outside again

Thanks for the info
Joel

sounds like a cool find....once you get the car freshened up the real fun will begin ;)

Congrats! 11's at 17psi is a great street car. I'm sure the alky makes it nuts.

Congrats! 11's at 17psi is a great street car. I'm sure the alky makes it nuts.

Its not on alky that was just pump gas.....17psi is about all I can get away with so I wanted to see how fast the car is just the way it sits. It responded really well to the timing increase......Like I mentioned it would have gone a lil faster had it hooked on the 10psi launch. Either way I am happy with it....I do plan to get the alky working and run around with 20psi but question it at the same time because it does not hook at 17psi and thats only gonna get worse with more boost:cool:

damn,,,,,,well down here in the south we have been having some nice warm weather.
The winter forces me to do things to the car that I put off. If the weather was nice all the time it would be very hard for me to get myself to do the major projects. Right now,I'm working on a stroked 4.1 production block.

Any rear suspension work? What part of GA are you in? I'm southwest of atlanta. Sounds like you got her dialed in well in street mode. TURN UP THE BOOST!!!! lol What tires were you running?

Its not on alky that was just pump gas.....17psi is about all I can get away with so I wanted to see how fast the car is just the way it sits. It responded really well to the timing increase......Like I mentioned it would have gone a lil faster had it hooked on the 10psi launch. Either way I am happy with it....I do plan to get the alky working and run around with 20psi but question it at the same time because it does not hook at 17psi and thats only gonna get worse with more boost:cool:

I know. I just saw alky in your sig and was getting excited:)

Congrats nice set up.You guys are soooo lucky,nothing but cold,rain and snow up here:rolleyes: .Ok back out to the shop:D

Any rear suspension work? What part of GA are you in? I'm southwest of atlanta. Sounds like you got her dialed in well in street mode. TURN UP THE BOOST!!!! lol What tires were you running?

I live in Loganville which is about 45miles north west of Atlanta....

I run Eibach springs all around with Competition Engineering shocks, I have South Side upper and lower rear control arms with a set of bags thats it for rear suspension. I never really had a true street tune setup...the last time I ran it on only pump gas was the end of last year when I put the new converter in.....it only ran 12.4 but I new something was wrong when it only trapped 108 mph plus it had no timing in it . Thats when I pulled the converter out and sent it back. The car has run 11.54 on 19 psi but that was using 110 in the tank plus it was not as aggressive on the tune because I only had a scan master. I also had the old converter in it and the car would not spool and get outta the whole which is why I bought a new one.

I would at some point like to put the car in the 10's I know it will do it with some tuning and the boost around 22-24psi on alky or fuel....right now I am happy with the car the way it sits and I am going to leave it alone because its simple...just put gas in it from the pump and it runs great.

I am going to concentrate on dialing in my vette this season so I'm gonna give the Buick a rest.;)