Headliner

Hey all, My father has a mint 87GN with t-tops. The headliner is starting to sag and I was wondering if anyone knew someone who will redo it with the original material. Original as in the fabric that is in the car now. Thanks for the advice!

BTS

Sorry but you won't be able to get original material...even if you could find some you wouldn't want it...the foam backing would be deteriorating...I got some from Jax Seat Covers...matches about as good as it gets...

bought one of gbody abs liners for my t-top 86 some time ago; fit and color are dead solid perfect and the abs backing makes the install a lot forgiving than the fragile oe foam.

I have a hard top also, it's not too hard to do, just takes some patience. But if theres a next time for me I'm going with the abs plastic recovered headliner.

I meant was there anyway to use the original fabric that is in the car now. Could it be cleaned of foam and reused to preserve the apperance. The car has less than 20k on it and is 100% original (except tires) and I would hate to use a fabric that deviated from GMs color and texture.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Scott

I meant was there anyway to use the original fabric that is in the car now. Could it be cleaned of foam and reused to preserve the apperance. The car has less than 20k on it and is 100% original (except tires) and I would hate to use a fabric that deviated from GMs color and texture.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Scott

No You can't reuse it. The original material has the foam as part of the material. Over time. the foam disintegrates, and the material sags. The only way to repair it is to replace the material. For what it's worth, I used the Jax kit also.

Steve

Did mine myself as well. Bought the material off of ebay, perfect match. 3M adhesive spray, wire brush and duct tape. Just be careful with the little clips but you can buy replacements for those as well. Contacted an upholstery shop and they wanted $300 to do it I think. Did it myself for $75.

If you have the ABS Board, I have an unopened kit for $35 for a T-Top that I never ended up using. PM me if interested.

The guys are right...don't use the original material. I have the ,87 GN T-Top, here's what I did, and it came out great:biggrin: . I went down to a place called "JoAnn's Fabrics" with my sunvisor, found some gray material with the foam backing, it matched the sunvisor almost perfect. Went home, pulled off the old material from the original foam backing board, cleaned it, patched up some little holes and tears in the board with thin cardboard pieces (glued them over the defects, won't show through the new fabric) sprayed on some #77 3m adhesive, put on the prior cutout new piece, and it held just great. Be sure test the type of adhesive you have by spraying on the back of the foam board in a small place...some spray adhesive will eat a hole in that foam board big time:eek: (remember the scene in "Alien" when that creature's blood ate through the spaceship floors???) This happened to me, so I had to go get another type of spray adhesive that would not eat up the foam board. The directions on the can have warnings that it can eat through various foams...just test to be sure. I had an extra foam board to test the adhesive on, so this is how I made sure I had the right adhesive. Anyway, my wonderful wife helped me get the new assembly up and it looks great. The fabric cost me $6.00 for a square yardtwo years ago. Talk about getting this done cheap! It's still holding as of today. Just be careful of what type adhesive you use or you'll ruin it.

Bruce '87 Grand NationalB]

The guys are right...don't use the original material. I have the ,87 GN T-Top, here's what I did, and it came out great:biggrin: . I went down to a place called "JoAnn's Fabrics" with my sunvisor, found some gray material with the foam backing, it matched the sunvisor almost perfect. Went home, pulled off the old material from the original foam backing board, cleaned it, patched up some little holes and tears in the board with thin cardboard pieces (glued them over the defects, won't show through the new fabric) sprayed on some #77 3m adhesive, put on the prior cutout new piece, and it held just great. Be sure test the type of adhesive you have by spraying on the back of the foam board in a small place...some spray adhesive will eat a hole in that foam board big time:eek: (remember the scene in "Alien" when that creature's blood ate through the spaceship floors???) This happened to me, so I had to go get another type of spray adhesive that would not eat up the foam board. The directions on the can have warnings that it can eat through various foams...just test to be sure. I had an extra foam board to test the adhesive on, so this is how I made sure I had the right adhesive. Anyway, my wonderful wife helped me get the new assembly up and it looks great. The fabric cost me $6.00 for a square yardtwo years ago. Talk about getting this done cheap! It's still holding as of today. Just be careful of what type adhesive you use or you'll ruin it.

Bruce '87 Grand NationalB]

+1

Hey I used the info about using materials from Johann's Fabric store to replace my original T-TOP headliner tonight and it looks great. The grey headliner available at the store is a bit lighter grey but I used it and the #77 spray adhesive from 3M. Thanks for the info. Cost about 20 bucks total.

I had one redone in my Park Ave, along with A-pillars for $150.00 from local interior man, did a great job and well worth it to me,(I'd screw it up in a heartbeat) looks brand new again.

Kevin.