Headliner

I had one redone in my Park Ave, along with A-pillars for $150.00 from local interior man, did a great job and well worth it to me,(I'd screw it up in a heartbeat) looks brand new again.

Kevin.

I thought about that as well having a Pro doing the Job. But I can`t see myself leaving the car at a shop for the day...:rolleyes:

Brother JB, I fully understand, big difference between a dusty PA and a TR to who we let touch anything on ;) Check with your local people for who can be trusted with your "Baby" and have faith, there's gotta be someone we can trust :eek: isn't there? :confused:

Kevin.

I just ordered one from Gbody parts and got it a couple weeks ago. I havent put it in yet, but it looks absolutely awesome. Color is good as far as I can tell (in the garage, you know?) and I've heard they fit well.

But I'm sure you can find places to redo the original. There is a place out my way that does it. M&M auto glass.

Find a shop that does upholstery, they will be able to help out. Call a body shop you trust and ask them who does their upholstery...

They can re-use the cloth and the backing, they just removed all the old foam and glue, then put a new layer of foam and glue it together.
It wont last nearly as long as the ABS backed one I just got from Gbody parts though, so thats why I went the way I did.

I just ordered one from Gbody parts and got it a couple weeks ago. I havent put it in yet, but it looks absolutely awesome. Color is good as far as I can tell (in the garage, you know?) and I've heard they fit well.

But I'm sure you can find places to redo the original. There is a place out my way that does it. M&M auto glass.

Find a shop that does upholstery, they will be able to help out. Call a body shop you trust and ask them who does their upholstery...

They can re-use the cloth and the backing, they just removed all the old foam and glue, then put a new layer of foam and glue it together.
It wont last nearly as long as the ABS backed one I just got from Gbody parts though, so thats why I went the way I did.

That is the key: the length of time it will last. I did my wifes wh-1 with original fabric & a great board. No one seems to post how long it took to get the glue off the old board. That is the key to making the new glue & material adhere for the length of time. It is time consuming. If you have a few hours to properly strip it,use good 3m adhesive & have a good heated controlled enviorment it's great.
Her car head liner dropped in 100* heat 3 years later. Not much but enough. I probably missed a small spot of glue.

The color is a good match & they do fit well. You may want to order 3 rear headliner clips when you do the job unless you have a good bit of patience. No need to drop the front trim out.

I would assume that no matter what route/vendor you go with,the old foam has to be removed from the board? If I went with material from the fabric shop,would you have to glue another foam backing on or can you spray the material directly to the board?

The material (foam)is already on the fabric just use a good quality 3m or other adhesive spray glue..
The prepped is the key take your time try to get all the old foam off .I did many of these hadnt had any issues with them sagging again. I also spray glue on back off fabric and on the board and let the glue set up for a few minutes and it sticks very well . If you have cracks in board witch im sure a you will use duct tape or hvac foil tape to add support . I used both and they both well great... Its not that hard
I give it 3 wrenches out of 5....lol good luck

I would assume that no matter what route/vendor you go with,the old foam has to be removed from the board? If I went with material from the fabric shop,would you have to glue another foam backing on or can you spray the material directly to the board?

Not if you buy the one from Gbody parts, its ready for installation. :D

If you are comfortable with removing the old headliner, but not comfortable with the headliner material, remove it yourself and take it to a upholstery shop. Most of the labor is the R&R of the headliner. I had a Monte SS years ago and just brought in the headliner... saved about $100... yeah, high, but this is Washington DC, EVERYTHING is high!

When the guy did mine, he used a Scotchbrite pad to remove ALL traces of the old foam... that is the key part of the install. Also, lay the material on the board, and fold half of the material back over itself. Spray the board AND the back of the fabric (now turned over), let the adhesive set if it needs to, and carefully fold (using great care of course) the material onto the board, taking time to ensure proper fit. Once it grabs, not too much you can do with it, so take your time. Extra hands are helpful to hold it up while you work it into position. After one side is complete, fold it over and repeat, trim, and reinstall. Not really too difficult.

Thanx guys,I pulled the board out yesterday and will tackle the fabric when the weather warms up a little.Also where do you get those Oh so wonderful clips that hold the back trim panel near the back window? Haven't tested the theory yet,but are they really necessary?I'm sure they were designed by the same rocket scientist who came up with the design for windshield moulding trim clips!:mad: