How much power with a 60-1?

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I did a bunch of dyno tests on turbos today with the engine in my black car. The 6680, 60-1, and 6265. I'll be doing a thread in a couple weeks that summarizes all of the results. The results will surprise some and the potential with smaller compressor wheels is rarely seen here. One thing I'll say is that the 62 compressor wheel will support 9 sec power at lower boost than most would think. This thread is for the 60-1 though. What can it do? Post your thoughts about uncorrected wheel hp. I ran it for all it was worth on a 9:1, 234ci, gn1 race port, and a version of the 218 cam. Alky was minimized here and the charge air temps were in the mid 50's. Shop temp was about the same.

I think you and me both know what 60 is really all about ..others give up and go for big .. Never netting low et's .. But if stock turbo's have been in the nines .. Why not a 60 ?

600-615 uncorrected but falls off hard @ 5400 rpm

Bison, did you do any testing on the 6262 dbb yet?

I haven't done anything with a 6262 on this engine. I would expect 630-640whp@ 27psi

One thing I'll say is it peaked lower than the others. It fell off from 5200 on but not as hard as one would think. With 3.23's and tall slick and a converter adjustment this thing would embarass many running 6776, 6766, 70gtq/hpq. Keep in mind I went 10.60 with a junk engine with this same turbo

bison,
I know there are many different configs on the 60-1. How is yours set up? (3 bolt, 4 bolt, p-trim, etc, compressor housing)

Eric

I haven't done anything with a 6262 on this engine. I would expect 630-640whp@ 27psi

Holy ****!!

mph calculator puts my trap at 600rwhp @ 27psi so I'd say your right on that going by std #'s. That would be capable of 133mph or 9.90's.

bison,
I know there are many different configs on the 60-1. How is yours set up? (3 bolt, 4 bolt, p-trim, etc, compressor housing)

Eric
It's an old t-netics 60-1. Large shaft T04s style. All 60-1's were 76 p trims tmk. It has an old compressor cover from the mid 90's. I have a precision 3 bolt .85 on there. It's a hybrid of mine. Back in the day t-netics wouldn't sell one with a 3 bolt. Either an on center or a tang 4 bolt was available. This .85 3 bolt likely outflows the .96 on center. I haven't proven it but those on center housing flow like crap.

Holy ****!!

mph calculator puts my trap at 600rwhp @ 27psi so I'd say your right on that going by std #'s. That would be capable of 133mph or 9.90's.
Yup. Remember when I said THS was a 9.3-9.4 class? Well it isn't. It's a 9.2 class. I wonder if it will evolve in the next couple years?

Ok, didn't know if it was the T-netics Cheetah style, where they marry the 60-1 compressor side with various turbine sides.
Thanks,
Eric

I will go with 675 HP and 715 TQ since you said you ran it for all its worth...

Bryan

this should be good, i have a 60-1 with stage 5 wheel and was wondering how far it can be pushed

I did a bunch of dyno tests on turbos today ........... This thread is for the 60-1 though. What can it do? Post your thoughts about uncorrected wheel hp. I ran it for all it was worth on a 9:1, 234ci, gn1 race port, and a version of the 218 cam. Alky was minimized here and the charge air temps were in the mid 50's. Shop temp was about the same.

According to the 60-1 map, the max mass flow is MUCH lower than the PR you ran it. (I am sure :cool:)
So, . . . . I am going to say . . . with the compressor out of breath . . . peak 603WHP/575TQ, 5500 rpm, 5% slip.
Having said that . . . it is still WAAAAAY of the map. LOL!
After you post the numbers, we will see how clueless I am. :tongue:

Attachments

• 60-1.jpg
    60-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 629
My car was running 10.5 at 126 back in the early 90's with a 60-1 Four bolt turbo. the math puts it at about 550RWHP
at my weight. The cam was a 206-206 hyd roller.

Post your thoughts about uncorrected wheel hp. I ran it for all it was worth on a 9:1, 234ci, gn1 race port, and a version of the 218 cam. Alky was minimized here and the charge air temps were in the mid 50's. Shop temp was about the same.

I know, I know ,I know.........

Wait, I have the inside scoop so guess I can't spoil it.

With all do seriousness, the real eye opener is the power and abuse this engine is taking, as well as the transmission and everything else Bison had is hands on. I vote to expand the turbo's your testing to something near the 70mm range.

Allan G.

I know, I know ,I know.........

Wait, I have the inside scoop so guess I can't spoil it.

With all do seriousness, the real eye opener is the power and abuse this engine is taking, as well as the transmission and everything else Bison had is hands on. I vote to expand the turbo's your testing to something near the 70mm range.

Allan G.
I'd like to get a 6768 on here.