Importing an import.

dfast1

Power Stroked
I know most do not like imports but now that i live in Okinawa, Japan I have access to several nice cars that are very cheap. I can get a Mark 4 Supra for around 5 grand! Even a soarer which are twin turbo Lexus for around 6 grand. So far no one can tell me what are the rules for importing them. The have to be certified crash tested and have different glass and side impact beams nd other odds and ends. Can i ship it back as a show car and then only drive it a couple thosand miles a years? I went to Nhtsa.dot.gov and it sounds like i can. Can anyone help? Thanks

i know you can but.......

the model has to be one we did not have here(at least the sub model) example, if you wanted to bring in a skyline gtr, you can. but if you want to bring in a ferrari testarossa, you can't reason? we had this model here. they define this as "signifacant madel" and yes, you can do no crash mods(still has to pass epa) and they limit you to x miles yearly. you also need to post a bond upon arrival equal to the value of the vehicle, then have it comply(no right hand drive). i am sure that you can find an exporter in japan that is familiar with these laws, big caveat here! if all else fails, call the dot directly. get stuff in writing. (oh, forget the lancer evo,supra, wrx and type r intergra's....you will never get them here as they are too well known) i almost had a ralleye golf imported a few years ago, seems the euro cars are easier to get in. however there is a loophole that you could exploit. if you read the laws carefully it says that if this is your own personal car(over 1 year ownership) you get a 1 time exclusion. no fuss no muss no restrictions(except epa stds of car's year it seems) the show car clause is that, show car/race car only. you will not get title to the vehicle and it would be branded for off road use only. the 1 year no mods allowance is called carnet, it allows you to bring a car in for 1 year, no restriction(even epa) how ever it must be gone in 1 year or they confiscate it and crush it!(and you lose your bond)
check with you guys at the base lemon lot, they may know more about it. this does not mean that you can't sell the jap engines and tranny's to the many eager ricer's here and make big bucks!ra

Has to be shipped using a bonded importer (or ICI, independent commercial importer) and will need to proceed directly to a gray market emissions lab ( to try to get the vehicle to meet federal emissions). Also, cannot be less than 2 years old. And you live in CA, the gray market lab (or you) will then proceed to the Referee for final certification.

Thanks for the info NICKG. So you think i have a better chance importing a skyline insteaad of the Supra? I would also have to swap the steering to the left hand side. That would be a lot of trouble. Does the military have any loop holes that can help me out?

FWIW.. You might post this on the www.syty.net board as there was a guy that worked for the ppl who import the skyline. Motor-x or something like that. Anyway, he hasnt been on the board in a while but he is prolly still around as he is into the syty stuff in a big way.

You might post this question over there and see if he comes out of the woodwork to give you some helpful info.

HTH

Originally posted by dfast1
Thanks for the info NICKG. So you think i have a better chance importing a skyline insteaad of the Supra? I would also have to swap the steering to the left hand side. That would be a lot of trouble. Does the military have any loop holes that can help me out?
Can you bring 2,,,please:D :D :D :D

Motorex is the ONLY company that can LEGALLY convert a Skyline and make it legal for registration in the US. Cost: $15-20k. Plus the cost of the skyline. Not sure about a Supra, but I'm sure that after you went through the headache, you'd be better off to just buy one here.

Have you tried your legal office? I don't know if they could help but I am sure they can lead you in the right direction. HTH