Interesting turbo/dyno test tonight= bigger isnt always better

If you guys are still doing this in late Winter I'd like to see you slap on the Borg Warner 76-70 and 83-74 turbos to see if these are worth it for us to convert over to. :cool:

Since you started this, how many pulls do you think you have made on this car.
Did you encounter any issues that caused you to make any other changes to the car like trans issues, headgaskets, or that sort of stuff? It has had a tough time.

Ive counted 116 pulls that were logged with this combo maybe more but thats all i counted and some were before this specific testing. A few didnt log and some got dropped into the wrong folders. The trans has several hundred WOT ratio changes on the 2-3 and probably a quarter as many 1-2. It sees WOT very often when driven. I pulled the pan last week to switch vb's (BR to KC) and there was no clutch material at all in the pan. I could have re-used the oil if i wanted. I went though 5 gallons of methanol in about 3 months and it only has a single 15gph nozzle. I have logged an indicated 8885 miles since i first started the engine in Oct of 09. Actual mileage is higher because i had a tire that is 27.3" tall on it for most of that time and never adjusted the speedo gearing to account for it. Unbelievably the engine still has the same plugs in it i installed on the initial start up. Ive never even pulled one of them (AC CR42TS). They were gapped at a tight .030 when i installed them over a year ago. Maybe i should replace them or at least close the gaps down some since they are probably eroded to well beyond the initial .030. I never intended to take this cheap shortblock as far as it has gone or give it the beat down it has received. Anyone who wants to buy the BR vb with recalibration, plate, and other items related to the calibration (boost valves/accum springs, etc) ill let it go for $400 shipped and include instructions on what to do to duplicate it in your own trans.

Very interesting results all the turbos with the exception of the pt53 I assume are billet wheel turbos?

The only ones that had billet wheels were the 6265 and the 6262. Both of those were BB cartridges also. The 6265 was an air cooled cartridge. Im sure if i could have gotten the boost up to 28-29 wit the 53 it would have made at least 470hp even with the considerably smaller turbine.

If you guys are still doing this in late Winter I'd like to see you slap on the Borg Warner 76-70 and 83-74 turbos to see if these are worth it for us to convert over to. :cool:

Ill test anything anyone is willing to send in. Im throwing together anothe rshort block with a better set of heads on it in the next month or so and will be able to use it for testing with these higher hp rated turbos to see what it takes to get the #'s out of them. When i do ill be looking at how much boost it takes to reach 600whp. Ill probably limit timing to 19 or 20* or something even lower to really make the compressors/turbines work and show their potential. Id go beyond the 600whp but i wouldnt feel to comfortable flogging an unknown or otherwise stock bottom end like i have with this one.

If they all make within 1% of each other then the logical conclusion would be choose the one with the best spool right? So in theory either a BB turbo or one with the garret housing would be best for most street cars at or below this level. Is this correct?
You would have to weigh the cost to performance gain. In reality with this torque converter you dont really have to think about spoolup on anything less than an HPQ/GTQ if its a 3 bolt. Not much gain even with a BB cartridge. The 6262BB was the quickest spooling but only by about a tenth to full boost. Another thing to keep in mind is that this is from a dead punch with no boost building. If these were launched at a drag strip with 8-10psi the difference would be even less. There is also room for a much more aggressive timing curve on the ramp in if better fuel was used. More spoolup time could be trimmed.

which turbine housing were you looking for?

B

I think its a THB3-76. Ive seen a couple different variations of the 76 trim wheel though. Some are slightly smaller on the exducer than others.

might have been the 69 trim.

I think I have a thb3-76. I will look in the morning.

B

my setup is:

stock block/heads
stock intercooler
60 lb injectors
tt chip/alky
alky injection
pte 61 turbo
3 inch dp and exhaust

I know its not at its full potentional and where does it need to improve at? Keep in mind this is in a truck.

The 62 trim made boost very easily and could have been cranked over 40 psi. The later design ex wheels in Precision housings offer the lowest backpressure. However this reduction in backpressure does not correlate into extra power until the backpressure is great enough on the other turbos compared to cause a drop in boost from inadequate wastegate spring.
Do you think the 62 trim will make more power than a 76 in a precision housing at 35psi(if the motor can use it)?

my setup is:

stock block/heads
stock intercooler
60 lb injectors
tt chip/alky
alky injection
pte 61 turbo
3 inch dp and exhaust

I know its not at its full potentional and where does it need to improve at? Keep in mind this is in a truck.
not the place for this, make a new post...otherwise this thread will be 30 pages

my setup is:

stock block/heads
stock intercooler
60 lb injectors
tt chip/alky
alky injection
pte 61 turbo
3 inch dp and exhaust

Start a new thread and ill respond.

Do you think the 62 trim will make more power than a 76 in a precision housing at 35psi(if the motor can use it)?
Too be honest i dont have a clue or should i speculate but if i was looking at running any of those 60+mm compressors that hard id be looking at a 65 trim wheel minimum. The old journal 6776 has been approx. 140mph trap speeds at full weight. I dont know how fast the 62 trim has been but im sure 135+ would be easy around 30psi if the engine was up for it. If i had Q16 in there and more injector id let it ride at 35psi. I hit 100% DC for a few frames on the unknown boost pull i made with the 6262. To get the most out of a turbo you will be working it hard and none of these compressors were out of steam on any of the tests i did.

Bison, what size are the injectors you are using? I see that you hit the 100% duty cycle with the Meth .

When the TA49 was tested it was listed as 385hp at 26# of boost,however it was stated that it was limited by the torque converter and avalibale boost.There have been lots of threads on here saying this turbo has been in the 10's.So my question is,with your car,what would you change to get the hp up to the 450+ range with the TA49?

When the TA49 was tested it was listed as 385hp at 26# of boost,however it was stated that it was limited by the torque converter and avalibale boost.There have been lots of threads on here saying this turbo has been in the 10's.So my question is,with your car,what would you change to get the hp up to the 450+ range with the TA49?

I would change ex housings,camshaft, and add 2* of timing to better utilize the 44/49 turbo. At 28-29psi with a Precision ex housing it would be in the 420whp range Dont be deceived by the dyno #. Even where the 44/49 has gone tens it was done with high boost and lower rpm than this application. A stock cam with high boost and a tall slick is how they got it done.