Jay Carter Alky kit tuning question?

Spoolin Around

The Crazy Cannuck!
:D I have just installed my JC alky kit and need to know how to tune for best performance. How do I set the turn on boost # on the hobbs switch? How many turns from screw all the way in? Also has anybody wired a light to indicate pump is running and how? All help is greatly appreciated. I am currently using a .20 jet and left the hobbs switch set as it came. I filled the alky tank and ran 4 good WOT runs at 20# boost and all seemed fine, except when I looked in the tank the alky was almost gone. How long does the tank last?

Hmmm....with the 0.020 jet, heck, even with the 0.030 jet the alky should last a long time. I use a MityVac pressure/vac pump to set my hobbs switch. I pump up the MityVac to around 12lbs, I made a test light by soldering leads to a 12v auto parking lamp. I turn the screw on the hobbs switch until the light comes on, by the way, you can hear the switch click once the pressure threshold is met. Did your kit come with the brass check valve between the pump and the spray nozzle? Sounds like you are losing alky to siphoning.

Mike

Wasnt there anything in the directions on it? There must be some baseline to start at.
Did you wire in a light to indicate it is on? you should be able to correlate that with your boost gauge.

:) This is what I am trying to figure out, I have no instructions that say how to tune it. Can someone explain in detail how they hooked theirs up and tuned please...
Brad

Hook up...

My tank is located where the charcoal canister was (the cc is now down on the frame).

Hose from the tank goes along the bottom of the radiator. The pump is between the bottom of the radiator and the intercooler shroud. Hose goes up to the check valve (do you have one?)then the braided line goes to the NOS nozzle on the back of the up pipe. I wired the fused 12v lead to the battery, I attatched the hobbs switch to the hard line coming out of the a/c accum. Tee'd into the map sensor line for boost reference. Be sure to take precaution for the power lugs on the pump if you install like I did. They are exposed and could short out, I used tape to insulate anything exposed down there. If you run a 20* or lower timing chip start out around 13-15lb turn on point. I had the best results with the 0.030" jet and 23-24lbs of boost. I ran isopropyl alky, but have since switched to 70%denatured, 30% DI water, and I'm happy with it.

Mike

I run the ATR 14" cold air kit with a Kenne-Bell scoop so I have no room on that side for the tank. I installed mine on the rad fan shroud so it would be easy to fill and mounted the pump and Hobbs switch stealth under the rad support,attached to the Kirban frame brace. I have hooked it up basically the same way you have, power to bat, ground to frame, check valve in correctly and hobbs teed into the same map sensor as you. Do you know roughly how many turns that yours is turned out, full 360 degree turns from turned in? My boost is set for 20# and I am running ethyl alcohol, denatured @98% is states. I will most likely dilute with some H2O. What kind of chip are you running? I am running a Jay Carer street 93, but I have a Red Armstrong 108 chip. I wonder how it would run on alky? Any suggestions. Thanks
Brad

That red 108 chip might be a little to much to run with alky.Red makes some aggresive chips.Becareful.If you try it start with low boost and work your way up.

I am using a plate with the kit but I set it too come on at 17 lbs. I used a .016 jet the light I hooked up at the pump those wires dont get hot till the switch turn them on.I have run the car up to 28 lbs on a JC 110 chip. but be careful.