Just how good was/is the V1 intercooler? Owners step in.

The Radius Kid

With all the talk about different I/C designs/configurations these days,I often wonder how capable they were?
I know guys used them to the mid/high eights,etc.
Compared to what's out there now,I wonder where they sit on the list today.
Any thoughts?
Inlet temp numbers,etc.?
BTW,Tony is still out there today,doing specialty rads,IIRC.

Charge air temps 25-30 degrees over ambient at 110lbs/min/30psi boost observed so far. Planning on going to 135lbs/min at 40+psi and collecting data next spring. So imo pretty damn good

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Dave Fiscus is still running one. He's been 7.7's with it

Really?
I had no idea he was running one still.
I thought he and Tony Gomes had "scaled it back a little"....LOL!
They'll know what I'm talking about.
From the link I posted:

" The most efficient method of Charge air heat entrapment is folded fin, because louvered fin configurations &/or very close fin per inch ratios can be utilized, resulting in higher surface areas to "grab" the heat. Note that these also cause the greatest pressure drop. It really comes down to manufacturing quality & specifications between folded fin & extruded tube efficiency as they can give similar results. Some folded fins have holes to break up the air flow, some have louvered fins to channel the air & some are flat but they usually have higher fpi. ratios. Extruded tube dividing walls are either flat or have ridges running length ways for increased surface area.

One last thing to remember is the strength & repairability of the cores. The weakest core by a very big margin is the plate & fin core, we get allot of these through our workshop (including oil coolers of the same construction), but they are relative easy to repair as they mostly crack in the centre of the end tank concertina. They have to be hydrogen brazed as the heat from TIG welding is too concentrated, usually resulting in a weep at one/both ends of the welds. Bar & plate cores are weaker than tube & fin & the other worry is that Garrett paperwork says that it is acceptable to have leaks in the core, as long as it doesn't exceed 4 psi drop from 30 psi in 15 secs !!! We may have had a leak in a tube & fin core over the years, but no new intercooler has ever left our shop with a weep, let alone leak. Bar & plate cores are very difficult to repair leaks anywhere on them, but tube & fin are only hard when the leak is in near the centre of the core. This advice is from our shop, that is one of the few set up too repair properly as well as fabricate new assemblies - in fact there is not another shop set up anywhere near as comprehensive as us, for repairs !

COOLING CAPACITIES (following are two very contentious paragraphs)

As a general rule, with a level playing field (manufacturing quality, both fpi's, tube size, thickness, & a hundred other variables), bar & plate intercooler cores dissipate more BTU's than plate tube & fin & then tube & fin cores - per square centimetre. Please stop, go back & read that sentence again, as it is the most often asked question, but the most misquoted answer of all time. Please also note that it is very easy to change just one specification of a core to make it better than the other two, & it must be remembered right now that heat dissipation is only one parameter of overall intercooler performance. If there is enough area & volume available, I quite often recommend a tube & fin core to do the job, as it will get the temperature down too within very close of the other two, but at less pressure drop & less chance of leakage.>>>>>

It seems that it is not as simple as picking one parameter and dwelling upon that.

I also notice that Spearco now is offering extruded tube ics...perhaps there is something to the technology after all. :) "

It seems that the whole bar and plate vs. tube and fin thing isn't as clear cut as most would have you believe.
The way i see it,the bar and plate dsign may flow a bit better internally,but the ambient airflow flow across the core will be worse at speed because of the outside shape of the tube.
An opening with square corners won't flow as much as an opening with rounded corners ... basic fluid mechanics.

Cal: any idea what kind of outlet temp' he's seeing?
Pressure drop across the core?

Really?
I had no idea he was running one still.
I thought he and Tony Gomes had "scaled it back a little"....LOL!
They'll know what I'm talking about.
From the link I posted:

" The most efficient method of Charge air heat entrapment is folded fin, because louvered fin configurations &/or very close fin per inch ratios can be utilized, resulting in higher surface areas to "grab" the heat. Note that these also cause the greatest pressure drop. It really comes down to manufacturing quality & specifications between folded fin & extruded tube efficiency as they can give similar results. Some folded fins have holes to break up the air flow, some have louvered fins to channel the air & some are flat but they usually have higher fpi. ratios. Extruded tube dividing walls are either flat or have ridges running length ways for increased surface area.

One last thing to remember is the strength & repairability of the cores. The weakest core by a very big margin is the plate & fin core, we get allot of these through our workshop (including oil coolers of the same construction), but they are relative easy to repair as they mostly crack in the centre of the end tank concertina. They have to be hydrogen brazed as the heat from TIG welding is too concentrated, usually resulting in a weep at one/both ends of the welds. Bar & plate cores are weaker than tube & fin & the other worry is that Garrett paperwork says that it is acceptable to have leaks in the core, as long as it doesn't exceed 4 psi drop from 30 psi in 15 secs !!! We may have had a leak in a tube & fin core over the years, but no new intercooler has ever left our shop with a weep, let alone leak. Bar & plate cores are very difficult to repair leaks anywhere on them, but tube & fin are only hard when the leak is in near the centre of the core. This advice is from our shop, that is one of the few set up too repair properly as well as fabricate new assemblies - in fact there is not another shop set up anywhere near as comprehensive as us, for repairs !

COOLING CAPACITIES (following are two very contentious paragraphs)

As a general rule, with a level playing field (manufacturing quality, both fpi's, tube size, thickness, & a hundred other variables), bar & plate intercooler cores dissipate more BTU's than plate tube & fin & then tube & fin cores - per square centimetre. Please stop, go back & read that sentence again, as it is the most often asked question, but the most misquoted answer of all time. Please also note that it is very easy to change just one specification of a core to make it better than the other two, & it must be remembered right now that heat dissipation is only one parameter of overall intercooler performance. If there is enough area & volume available, I quite often recommend a tube & fin core to do the job, as it will get the temperature down too within very close of the other two, but at less pressure drop & less chance of leakage.>>>>>

It seems that it is not as simple as picking one parameter and dwelling upon that.

I also notice that Spearco now is offering extruded tube ics...perhaps there is something to the technology after all. :) "

It seems that the whole bar and plate vs. tube and fin thing isn't as clear cut as most would have you believe.
The way i see it,the bar and plate dsign may flow a bit better internally,but the ambient airflow flow across the core will be worse at speed because of the outside shape of the tube.
An opening with square corners won't flow as much as an opening with rounded corners ... basic fluid mechanics.

Cal: any idea what kind of outlet temp' he's seeing?
Pressure drop across the core?
Looking at the reduced open frontal area( sometimes 70%) on some fast cars in the last few years the airflow over the core has to be a compromise at some point. I used to think more air through the open area was better but the recent performance I've seen says otherwise. Like the open frontal area causes reduced aero and reducing it helped aero a lot and didn't do much of anything to the intercoolers performance on those cars. The cross sectional open area across the core tubing is likely more important than having less cross section with more aero inside the core. If the cores pressure drop is at its minimum for what it can be for a give btu drop per lb of air then more aero in the core won't help though it could create a more compact unit that weighs less. Many variables to look at.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

i run one in my 86 but i spray alky and measure temp at plenum
....at just under 30psi my temps are usually 60 to mid 60 degrees

Looking at the reduced open frontal area( sometimes 70%) on some fast cars in the last few years the airflow over the core has to be a compromise at some point. I used to think more air through the open area was better but the recent performance I've seen says otherwise. Like the open frontal area causes reduced aero and reducing it helped aero a lot and didn't do much of anything to the intercoolers performance on those cars. The cross sectional open area across the core tubing is likely more important than having less cross section with more aero inside the core. If the cores pressure drop is at its minimum for what it can be for a give btu drop per lb of air then more aero in the core won't help though it could create a more compact unit that weighs less. Many variables to look at.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Maybe I didn't state my point clearly?
My concern is the ability of the cooling air to get between the rows and scrub away heat.
I'm thinking the square tubes of the bar and plate design present more "obstruction" for the air to enter between the rows due to their sharp corners at the entries to the gaps as opposed to the round faces of the tube and fin which should be more friendly to airflow at higher ambient air speeds/flow rates through the cooler.
It is known that turbulence adds frictional heat,but why preheat your cooling air before it crosses the core?
IIRC,slower air flow through the core helps the air absorb more heat,to a point?.

Last edited:
This is where I'm left wondering something:

How well would the V1 work as a high 10 second,93 octane street car?

Something tells me this would do it pretty well.:cool:

Maybe I didn't state my point clearly?
My concern is the ability of the cooling air to get between the rows and scrub away heat.
I'm thinking the square tubes of the bar and plate design present more "obstruction" for the air to enter between the rows due to their sharp corners at the entries to the gaps as opposed to the round faces of the tube and fin which should be more friendly to airflow at higher ambient air speeds/flow rates through the cooler.
It is know that turbulence adds frictional heat,but why preheat your cooling air before it crosses the core?
IIRC,slower air flow through the core helps the air absorb more heat,to a point?.
John I'm going to keep the fire going. 1) I see no data from anyone relating boost pressure in, boost pressure out, ambient air temp in and air temp out in the same testament. Evidence to me is a least 2 thermocouples and 2 pressure transducers and the data logs relating the 4 variables. 2) Hopefully V1 would be good if not the best since its a huge heated mass. You may recall that I had something to do with the V6 turbo Buick & TTa back in the day. How is it that I saw letters from GNX purchasers who had been beaten by folks with stock (or supposedly stock) intercoolers in their GN's and the GNX buyers were upset. If I was running a guy with a GNX with my stock intercooled GN I would let the GNX person babble on about his car at infinetum so his intercooler was soaked. Now lets run. The GNX intercooler had a higher core fin count but did not reject heat as well as the stocker. Bottom line intercoolers can/are purpose built. Sometimes the "big dog" can be beaten ( at least by the testament of owners and not by any data) if you take him off his front porch. The intercooler works in conjunction with the rest of the powertrain so its synergy. 3) I have seen engineers favor bar and plate (which I do) and clearly state such. I have also seen others favor extruded tube. I have seen reasons that support both cases. An intercooler has end tanks as well and their design is part of the solution. Text book heat exchanger equations give general direction to a solution, however complicated work energy and heat transfer equations are required to give a more accurate solution. Design Of Experiment is the method I would choose to conclude a discussion such as this, but again a strict purpose or function must be defined (1 pass, hot lap, street,.etc) 4) I saw a persons comment about extruded tubes vs bar a plate. If the air is worked somewhat you may transfer heat

John I'm going to keep the fire going. 1) I see no data from anyone relating boost pressure in, boost pressure out, ambient air temp in and air temp out in the same testament. Evidence to me is a least 2 thermocouples and 2 pressure transducers and the data logs relating the 4 variables. 2) Hopefully V1 would be good if not the best since its a huge heated mass. You may recall that I had something to do with the V6 turbo Buick & TTa back in the day. How is it that I saw letters from GNX purchasers who had been beaten by folks with stock (or supposedly stock) intercoolers in their GN's and the GNX buyers were upset. If I was running a guy with a GNX with my stock intercooled GN I would let the GNX person babble on about his car at infinetum so his intercooler was soaked. Now lets run. The GNX intercooler had a higher core fin count but did not reject heat as well as the stocker. Bottom line intercoolers can/are purpose built. Sometimes the "big dog" can be beaten ( at least by the testament of owners and not by any data) if you take him off his front porch. The intercooler works in conjunction with the rest of the powertrain so its synergy. 3) I have seen engineers favor bar and plate (which I do) and clearly state such. I have also seen others favor extruded tube. I have seen reasons that support both cases. An intercooler has end tanks as well and their design is part of the solution. Text book heat exchanger equations give general direction to a solution, however complicated work energy and heat transfer equations are required to give a more accurate solution. Design Of Experiment is the method I would choose to conclude a discussion such as this, but again a strict purpose or function must be defined (1 pass, hot lap, street,.etc) 4) I saw a persons comment about extruded tubes vs bar a plate. If the air is worked somewhat you may transfer heat
We have the hot and cold boost data and temps logged with calibrated sensors but it is proprietary and won't be posted on the Internet. The bulk of the unit should be a big part of the choice. If we are able to keep charge temps to near ambient with a smaller lighter unit then there's no point in adding 30lbs of weight at about the worse possible point for a drag car and the fact that the cooling system will need a lot of work to offset the radiator air flow.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

John I'm going to keep the fire going. 1) I see no data from anyone relating boost pressure in, boost pressure out, ambient air temp in and air temp out in the same testament. Evidence to me is a least 2 thermocouples and 2 pressure transducers and the data logs relating the 4 variables.

I did these tests on several intercoolers quite a few years ago and posted them on this sight. If they aren't here, then they disappeared when the board was reset. I'm out of town until December but will see what I can dug up when I return

John I'm going to keep the fire going. 1) I see no data from anyone relating boost pressure in, boost pressure out, ambient air temp in and air temp out in the same testament. Evidence to me is a least 2 thermocouples and 2 pressure transducers and the data logs relating the 4 variables. 2) Hopefully V1 would be good if not the best since its a huge heated mass. You may recall that I had something to do with the V6 turbo Buick & TTa back in the day. How is it that I saw letters from GNX purchasers who had been beaten by folks with stock (or supposedly stock) intercoolers in their GN's and the GNX buyers were upset. If I was running a guy with a GNX with my stock intercooled GN I would let the GNX person babble on about his car at infinetum so his intercooler was soaked. Now lets run. The GNX intercooler had a higher core fin count but did not reject heat as well as the stocker. Bottom line intercoolers can/are purpose built. Sometimes the "big dog" can be beaten ( at least by the testament of owners and not by any data) if you take him off his front porch. The intercooler works in conjunction with the rest of the power train so its synergy. 3) I have seen engineers favor bar and plate (which I do) and clearly state such. I have also seen others favor extruded tube. I have seen reasons that support both cases. An intercooler has end tanks as well and their design is part of the solution. Text book heat exchanger equations give general direction to a solution, however complicated work energy and heat transfer equations are required to give a more accurate solution. Design Of Experiment is the method I would choose to conclude a discussion such as this, but again a strict purpose or function must be defined (1 pass, hot lap, street,.etc) 4) I saw a persons comment about extruded tubes vs bar a plate. If the air is worked somewhat you may transfer heat

To me,your analogy just illustrates what I've talked to you about before.
Air is the cooling medium as well as the charge that needs to be cooled ... hence the term "air to air".
It *sounds* like they screwed up on the design of the GNX I/C by trying to pack too much cooling ability in a core that didn't allow for adequate airflow across said core.
This is why I've always loved front mount I/C's.
For me it's all about the implementation and the results.
The numbers are just where you start.

I did these tests on several intercoolers quite a few years ago and posted them on this sight. If they aren't here, then they disappeared when the board was reset. I'm out of town until December but will see what I can dug up when I return

That would be good.
Thanks Cal.

Thanks for offering to attempt to locate and perhaps make available hard data.

Some data from some IC calculations.....

Total Volume:
Height x Width x Depth = the total volume of the intercooler, which is an indirect measure of the internal surface area of the intercooler. The larger the volume, the larger the heat exchange surface area, the more heat we can sink out of the air in an extremely short period of time (the 100 milliseconds or so that the air spends inside the core). Obviously the bigger the volume, the better the cooling and the worse for pressure drop.