Just how good was/is the V1 intercooler? Owners step in.

I'll see if I can help here before Sherm' jumps in to rain on my parade:p

1. A larger pipe size should cut down on flow resistance,but will take a tick longer to fill and create back pressure - boost.
2. As was pointed out to me a long time ago,"wind chill" is an effect that occurs due to moisture evaporation from human skin.
It doesn't affect this situation,as far as I know.
3.More boost pressure means denser air which is harder to move and has more momentum than ambient air which will cause most airflow anommilies you see to be exaggerated over what you would see at ambient air pressure levels - 0 boost.
That's why the larger pipe flows with less resistance.
It's like moving 50,000 cars down a 20 mile stretch of 4 lane highway in one hour as opposed to doing it on a 2
lane highway.
You see this at rush hour around a lot of cities.

I AM SURE HE WILL HAHA

1. A larger pipe size should cut down on flow resistance,but will take a tick longer to fill and create back pressure - boost.

A OK makes sense but wouldn't that depend on how much you need to flow

2. As was pointed out to me a long time ago,"wind chill" is an effect that occurs due to moisture evaporation from human skin.

A - I have heard that before BUT how does a heat exchanger work--doesn't a rad sweat Why do I need a rad then or intercooler for that matter.

3.More boost pressure means denser air which is harder to move and has more momentum than ambient air which will cause most airflow anommilies you see to be exaggerated over what you would see at ambient air pressure levels - 0 boost.

A - More boost and or resistance also means more heat. Where does it end.

It's like moving 50,000 cars down a 20 mile stretch of 4 lane highway in one hour as opposed to doing it on a 2
lane highway.

I AM SURE HE WILL HAHA

A OK makes sense but wouldn't that depend on how much you need to flow

A - I have heard that before BUT how does a heat exchanger work--doesn't a rad sweat Why do I need a rad then or intercooler for that matter.

A - More boost and or resistance also means more heat. Where does it end.

lane highway.

Your first question was covered in my point #3
Your second .point is interesting,but what kind of rad?
Steam heating or automotive?
Your last question would seem to suggest that you should get a good I/C that can handle the boost levels your going to see.Too small and forget it ...... or turn the boost down/get alchy' injection.
So far,the cars aren't producing any more boost than the available I/C's can deal with.

I was at a site and found some pics' of what I'm talking about with air entering the cores of the different style I/C's.
It illustrates what I was talking about earlier and what TTipe talked about in his seminar at the 2011 BPG avialable on YouTube.
Here's the site link:

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/tanks.htm

Here's some pics' of what I'm referring to.

tube_and_fin.jpg
bar_and_plate_and_fin.jpg
plate_tube_and_fin.jpg

You can see how the air piles up around the openings to the passages through the core for the ambient air to ass through.
As the air speed attempting to pass through the core increases,the turbulence will increase as well,making it harder for the air to flow through.
That's just basic flow theory and why we port match anything that passes air,exhaust,etc.

I don't have any scientific data to contribute other that ET. I ran a V2 back when i ran TSE years ago. I ran low 9's with the V2 with 2.5" pipes. I changed to a Lonnie Dequick V1 with the bigger pipes with the TSE combo. Along with some other most have parts to go faster at that ET such as going from a 62mm thottle body to a 70mm, and going from a 3" down pipe and exhaust to a 3.5" down pipe and exhaust.I saw no ET gain from any of these changes.Both intercoolers saw 20 to 25 degree rises.

I now run limited 8.5 with a stageII with a 76 mm cast wheel turbo and my V1 . Best ET 5.45 in the 1/8 8.56 1/4 still with only a 20 - 25 degree rise.

Steve,it sounds like your old combo was optimized for where you were at the time,not for where you are now however.
Do you remember the thickness of the V2 core you ran at the time?
It was pointed out to me earlier that there was changes to the core thicknesses as Tony progressed over time.

Sorry i don't remember the core thickness. I don't remember it being overly thick. V2's are very under rated. My old one is on Dave Day's car now. Wish i had it back.

I run a V2.

CAS tony dequick V2 core is 13"H 23"W 3" deep
And for size Reference ...
Cotton FM............. 15"h 27"w 3.5"d
Pte FM ............ 11"h 18"w 4.5"d
RJC-475..... 17"h 27"w 4.75"d (I was told by someone that has one, cant confirm)
ATR-fm ....... 6.5"h 27"w 3.25"d

Last edited:
And for size Reference ...
Cotton FM 15"h 27"w 3.5"d
Pte FM 11"h 18"w 4.5"d
RJC-475 17"h 27"w 4.75"d (I was told by someone that has one, cant confirm)
ATR-fm 6.5"h 27"w 3.25"d

Thanks for the info'.
That RJC is a big unit....of course it's meant for TSM/TSO style cars.
I guess that's why Jason said it's basically not street car friendly.

John the GNX design was not screwed up. It had to package in the same volume as the stock unit, running another couple of pounds of boost and still deal with spark knock on 93 octane fuel which varies a lot. Why not increase the cores ability to deal with more air at a higher pressure /per unit of time and deduct from the core's long term heat rejection capability. These are obvious tradeoff's. That is part of the science which allowed the car to run how it did in a stock locate package.

Thinking about this more,TTipe makes a valid point.
In engineering,you sometimes have to make trade offs to get things done within certain constraints.
Of course the trade off turned out to have an Achille's heel that did annoy some owners as evidenced by the letters received by GM about it,as stated by TTipe himself.
I guess you can't please all the people all the time.

I have a big black CAC and it works hard.

Its a CAS V1. I wonder how many folks have been in the 8's with one.