Lost compression at drag strip

Anyone have any good preferances on what kind of engine bearings to use? Im about to work on it & need some opinions,, thanks

Sounds like you decided to go through it. I have had good luck with Clevite 77 bearings.

yeah absolutely, i wasnt going to but after getting so far in i decided to pull it & go thru it all.. Thanks for the info!

I like the federal mogul A-series bearings. What ever brand you go with, order the rod bearings for a 95 buick park ave with a 3800. They're wider and drop in with no mods.

ok will do, how about a cam choice if i decide to put a new bumpstick in it, going with 980 springs so any idea on a cam that would work well with those??

I'ld go 206 roller with accompanying springs, etc and be done with it.

wish i could, i cant afford roller so i have to stick with flat tappet so mayb 1or 2 sizes over stock & the 980's?? & also what brand is best? Comp, crane, edlebrock??

If you are stuck on a flat tappet then 206/206 or there abouts would do fine. You'll need to see the spring specs for the cam to make sure the 980s are correct. You may need to go smaller ie; stock to match the spring pressure. You might want to talk to Bison to see if he has any secret small flat tappet grinds that would work with your combo. Oh and he might be able to help you identify your turbo since that is going to be a factor too. Write up a signature with your mods, that will help.

Ok thanks, i cant afford to go roller so i have to go flat tappet.. Some people say the 980's work well with the stock cam. my first time inside this v6 so pardon my inexperience here lol.

ok so engine is going back in & i cant get the motor mounts to line up & the bell housing lined up at the same time! What am i doing wrong fella's..??

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had that same problem. In my case the transmission rotated as I jacked it up to meet the engine. To solve the issue, with the engine as straight as I could get it, I was able to engage 1 dowel into the trans. bellhousing. Then, I jacked up or down the trans (forget), allowing it to rotate on the dowel until the other dowel alligned and popped into place with the motor.

Definitely try to get the trans and engine mated before the motor mount bolts.

A pair of bolts w/ the heads cut off are good "guide pins", and easier to engage than the block dowel pins.
In any case, DO NOT use the trans bolts to pull the trans up to the block.

Chuck is it any easier to remove the trans & set the engine on the mounts & then put the trans back up to it?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app