motor rebuilt should i prime the pump

papamacksaw

hello again rebuilt turbo motor what is the best way to start this motor someone told me shoot oil down the cylinders then crank over by hand ...others say prime using priming tool in cam sensor hole what is the safest way to not blow up my motor before i even drive it thanks ken

i would imagine priming it through the cam sensor hole is the best way. when i rebuilt my engine i pack the pump gears and all the holes around the gears with vasoline and filled my oil filter completely with oil. then i cranked it over a few times and started her up. this worked well for me. hth!

I just cranked my rebuilt motor up 2 nights ago. I loaded up the oil pump with bearing lube, filled the oil filter up and disconnected the computer. I cranked 3 or 4 times then hooked the ECM back up & started it. It built up to 70 psi in about 4-6 seconds.

best thing to do is to put oil down the upper oil cooler line then use a priming tool in the cam sensor hole. prime the motor with the drill and turn the motor over by hand. once you get oil out of the pushrods your good. i could never get oil out of the pushrods on my car after priming it for like 4 days straight then i fired it up and oil came out of them once all the lube came out.

small block chevy priming tool from summit or jegs. works great thru cam sensor/ dist hole. use a 1/2 drill with a push button lock and let it run

u can also get the primer at autozone under there rent a tool program.

anybody not using a priming tool (through cam sensor hole) is nuts!!
you never know if there is something not right, and firing up a dry engine is disasterous! turning it over a few times is not the ideal " prime"... use a oil priming tool!!!:mad:

small block chevy priming tool from summit or jegs. works great thru cam sensor/ dist hole. use a 1/2 drill with a push button lock and let it run

I completely agree ;) . I actually used mine earlier today :D . Guys, there really isnt any reason not to have one... They are so cheap for the insurance that they give you...

if you atre using it once. you will probably use it again. no since in not owning one. that saves you the hassle of the parts counter at the auto parts chains.

i can see it now.

consumer would ask--''i would like to rent an oil pump priming tool"

parts store employee would say "whats an oil priming tool????we dont sell paint to prime oil pumps.."

i am however fortunate enough to have some knowledgable people at my parts stores.

you never know if there is something not right, and firing up a dry engine is disasterous! turning it over a few times is not the ideal " prime"... use a oil priming tool!!!:mad:

i know its not the most ideal thing but when i did it, i soaked my lifters for 2 days(engine started up next day), assembly lube everything, coated bearings from weber, grease on valve stem and pushrod tips, packed oil pump, filled filter to brim. lifters pumped up in no more than 10-15 secs. i figured it did a pretty good job!

what would u do if u had to prime a distributorless engine or one without a cam sensor hole like ours? like my friends 88 reatta with a 3800.

there are holes in every block that you can use to pressurize the oil system. the most common hole is the oil sending unit hole.

Like i said this is great stuff screws on the oil sending port and spray in .

ph_11173.jpg

Don't need to prime the pump or fill it with junk BUT PRIME THE ENGINE.

I have seen many engines primed with the starter motor and do just fine but the tool is so cheap - so the engine biuld cost another $15.

One good thing about starter motor prime is that the engine is turning over - something I do by hand as I run the 1/2 drill.

If you use a high speed 3/8 drill, let off every 30 or 40 seconds and let the drill run with no load to help it cool down.

+1

Hell yes my good man!!!!!

i know its not the most ideal thing but when i did it, i soaked my lifters for 2 days(engine started up next day), assembly lube everything, coated bearings from weber, grease on valve stem and pushrod tips, packed oil pump, filled filter to brim. lifters pumped up in no more than 10-15 secs. i figured it did a pretty good job!

what would u do if u had to prime a distributorless engine or one without a cam sensor hole like ours? like my friends 88 reatta with a 3800.

I'm sure there is some way to "properly prime" that engine. those 10-15 sec. period, regardless of how much you soaked your lifters, greased the valves, packed the pump etc. could kill your cam especially!

that is just not right! call me in 10k miles.

I'm sure there is some way to "properly prime" that engine. those 10-15 sec. period, regardless of how much you soaked your lifters, greased the valves, packed the pump etc. could kill your cam especially!

that is just not right! call me in 10k miles.

whats ur number...its been 15000 miles so far:biggrin: