motor rebuilt should i prime the pump

gotcha, i guess i can understand it with all the cam lobes disappearing on people!

I rebuilt the top end of my first buick engine, and did'nt prime it. The cam went flat within a few thousand miles. I did the turning engine over with starter, but when I started it, there was all kinds of noise for the first 20 seconds. It disappeared, but i'm sure that lead to my early cam failure. The cam that was in there went flat shortly after I bought the car it was in.:mad:
I guess it was doomed from the beginning...

I worked on a stage engine the other day, when we primed it with the tool, only one side primed. It has an external oil pump "duttweiller" on it, but had a stock oil pump gasket. The gasket was blocking the oil feed hole, took a while to figure it out:eek: then when we fixed that, turned out it still would'nt prime because it had the wrong roller lifters in it:eek: so if we would have just started it without checking oil pressure and flow with the tool, we would have wrecked a very expensive stage engine:eek: i've learned my lesson:D

Starting and engine without running the oil pump first (with a pressure gauge attached) is CrAzY!!!! It takes so little time and you can make, borrow or rent a priming shaft anywhere!!!!

Pack your oil pump gears and pockets with assembly lube and turn the pump with a priming shaft once the engine is assembled. Don't waste your time filling the oil filter or the cooler lines, the pump will take care of all that.

Priming the engine will not prevent cam lobe destruction. The cam lobes and lifters need to be carefully coated with the moly lube. The oil will not wash that lube away or enhance the lube either.

Dave

Pack your oil pump gears and pockets with assembly lube and turn the pump with a priming shaft once the engine is assembled. Don't waste your time filling the oil filter or the cooler lines, the pump will take care of all that.

Priming the engine will not prevent cam lobe destruction. The cam lobes and lifters need to be carefully coated with the moly lube. The oil will not wash that lube away or enhance the lube either.

Dave

so u pack the pump first and then spin the pump up? is that because if u dont pack the pump u would be dry running the pump? im only 21 years old, i have many things to learn:D

i was actually just about to type the same thing about wiping cam lobes out. the first thing u do when starting up is breaking the cam in. plus arent the lobes splash oiled?

Packing the pump helps prime the pump. The pump will suck oil almost immediately if you pack it........and it helps lube the pump too!

If you haven't had a pump apart before, you need to pay close attention to gear end play. I shoot for .003 end play. I measure using plastigage and adjust with special gaskets offered by TA Performance.

i dont know if its necessary to prime the engine, but, it is very important to verify that there will be oil pressure when the car starts up. I usually do this right after i tighten the motor mounts. spin the pump over with a priming tool and make sure the oil pressure is over 70. If its over 70, its good to go. if not pull it all back out.

the engines are assembled with assembly lube so there isnt going to be a dry start.

you do not start a new engine without priming first, no matter how much assembly lube you used!!

I prime my motor before every start with the Preluber, it gets around 45psi for 10 seconds. :cool:

It used to take 3 seconds to calm an old rod knock when starting it up normally, 6 seconds after an oil change. :eek:

where do you get a preluber? I would like to invest in one! another cool thing ricers use is a turbo timer. Keeps the motor running for a minute or so after they park, to let the hot oil circulate out of the turbo etc.

whats up Jeremy? i dunno if i'll be in town, my son graduates basic on the 4th so we'll be going to texas on the 29th or 30th. the motors out of my car now gonna try and get back over holiday break.

I prime my motor before every start with the Preluber, it gets around 45psi for 10 seconds. :cool:

It used to take 3 seconds to calm an old rod knock when starting it up normally, 6 seconds after an oil change. :eek:

I do that on my 455. Plan on adding it to the GN. I never have to start the motor dry. The one I use is a Masterlube, Moroso also makes them.

i agree prime the engine before you start i used a 3/8 drill and prime it untill i see oil presure on an after market gauge 70 psi set your cam sensor and fire it up i just started mine yesterday everything is great no leaks runs stong good luck

go to the parts store and buy a 2 SBC oil pump drives and weld them together or you can tape them together @ the joints. ( they will lock end to end) then use a 3/8 drill and have fun. I primed my motor a few to many times and killed my drill but i knew that motor was well lubed. It was the only motor on a first start that didn't have some sort of valve/lifter tick.

takes a few seconds to do and couple save a bunch of time from having to remove the engine again.

where do you get a preluber? I would like to invest in one! another cool thing ricers use is a turbo timer. Keeps the motor running for a minute or so after they park, to let the hot oil circulate out of the turbo etc.

We are selling a complete kit that includes all the hoses and fittings needed if you are running the oil cooler in the radiator. Won't work with front mount intercoolers though unless you can come up with a place to mount the Accusump.

Check it out at........ ACCUSUMP PRE-OILER KITS

Attachments

• accu1.JPG
    accu1.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 151
Pre-luber looks interesting :rolleyes: Always, always, always prime the engine before you start it or you'll be making a trip to the parts store for bearings and possibly cam/lifter kit. It only takes a few minutes to prime, half a day to pull the engine again :mad:

Prime Prime

always prime before its time to hit the key and fire it up :cool: :cool: :i bought a after market oil presure gaugeand it came with the 3/8 fitting to screw into your oil presure port then screw the gauge into it and get a small block chevy primeing tool and watch the gauge you should see 70 plus with a drill when you see that then you no when you fire up that new motor what you are going to have before you even start it up i just built 3 109s 10 second peice a stock set up and a 950 hp motor that icant wait to let loose at the drag strip so good luck and always prime that great little engine before its time it will thank you as well when you mash that gas pedal cool: