Need some install help for XFI

You can run the vac line into the car, or you can tap into the existing wire on the stock harness (foam connector). I just didn't want to take a chance with a vac line chaffing/pinching and my XFI not read manifold pressure. I also wasn't drilling holes through my floorboard either.

Does that connector simply unplug and can be re-routed to the Caspers box? I have to get out to the garage and look at it yet. Had my little boy tonight so I didnt have a chance! Thanks for the awesome info guys!

I never had a MAP sensor so mine didn't 'belong' anywhere. The instructions said to mount it away from engine heat and vibration, which doesn't make much sense to me. I'm pretty sure they're designed to live under the hood.

I have Casper's adapter/harness but it was too bulky for my liking. There's a lot to jam up behind the glovebox already without introducing that thing.

Jim

the harness is already there factory and adding the adapter doesn't take up much more room
if anything it only creates more slack besides its under the glove box with the lower trim panel holding it off the footwell area when reinstalled
what else do u have back there anyways???
xfi is under my pass seat and gn to xfi adapter is located where stock ecm once was

i like the fact that my wife no longer has her feet all over the very VERY important map sensor:eek:
-dan

Attachments

• 108119-320.jpg
    108119-320.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 514
Another question I have is, I have to sending units for the oil pressure and fuel pressure, I believe these are the same sending units. With the fast sytem, should I just use the oil pressure sender in place of the stock switch for the dummy light? I was thinking of mounting the fuel sender in place of my electronic fuel sender for my gauge but I was looking at them and I think they are both the same. Should I just use the existing sender and hook it up to the fast and not run a guage? If you guys think I should leave my gauge, where is a good place to install the one for the FAST system? Also I have the harness for these from FAST but I can figure out how to install it and where it would go?

You can replace the stock idiot light sender with the oil pressure transducer but it will require an adaptor as the transducer is smaller 1/8" NPT.

I am going to assume you currently have an electric Autometer fuel pressure gauge. You are correct that the senders do LOOK the same but don't try plugging it into the XFI - they are NOT the same!

The harness I think you are referring to plugs into where the stock EGR harness goes. You do have to move the jumper in the Caspers adaptor box to enable this feature.

the harness is already there factory and adding the adapter doesn't take up much more room
if anything it only creates more slack besides its under the glove box with the lower trim panel holding it off the footwell area when reinstalled
what else do u have back there anyways???
xfi is under my pass seat and gn to xfi adapter is located where stock ecm once was

i like the fact that my wife no longer has her feet all over the very VERY important map sensor:eek:
-dan

I keep my stash back there :p

It just seemed like it was bulky, thats all. There's already a lot of junk to tuck up there and adding another adapter just added to it. I have it, it's just tucked away in a drawer somewhere. I was having some tuning trouble and thought maybe it was to blame so I took it out. Maybe I'll put it back in some day - like when I install that under seat harness. That's very nice!

Bent6 said:
You can replace the stock idiot light sender with the oil pressure transducer but it will require an adaptor as the transducer is smaller 1/8" NPT.

I am going to assume you currently have an electric Autometer fuel pressure gauge. You are correct that the senders do LOOK the same but don't try plugging it into the XFI - they are NOT the same!

The harness I think you are referring to plugs into where the stock EGR harness goes. You do have to move the jumper in the Caspers adaptor box to enable this feature.

It depends on which Autometer sender he has. The ones that come with the electric fuel pressure gauges (#2246) will work fine. They're 0-5V (actually .5V to 4.5v) linear transducers. I tapped into mine for my XFI. Set up the AUX input as follows:

Sender is 0 PSI at .5 volts; 100 PSI at 4.5 volts.

Using the formulas in the FAST software:
Sensor gain is 25.000
Sensor offset is -12.500

It logs farily accurately this way. I didn't use Casper's logging harness since I already had the pressure gauge installed, but if you have that kit then it's that much easier. I did all the wiring at the XFI box instead.

Jim

The sender's are NOT the same. The Caspers unit uses a 12 volt input. They both have the same output. So yes, you can splice into the signal wire of the Autometer sender. To keep things clean, I would still run everything through the EGR plug. Keep in mind you will need to swap the plugs in the adaptor harness. It tells how in the directions. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

It depends on which Autometer sender he has. The ones that come with the electric fuel pressure gauges (#2246) will work fine. They're 0-5V (actually .5V to 4.5v) linear transducers. I tapped into mine for my XFI. Set up the AUX input as follows:

Sender is 0 PSI at .5 volts; 100 PSI at 4.5 volts.

Using the formulas in the FAST software:
Sensor gain is 25.000
Sensor offset is -12.500

It logs farily accurately this way. I didn't use Casper's logging harness since I already had the pressure gauge installed, but if you have that kit then it's that much easier. I did all the wiring at the XFI box instead.

Jim

You must have done a little "custom wiring engineering" if you made it work. I meant that you can't just plug the XFI harness into the Autometer sender - it will damage the sender. I thought it would since they use the same 5v reference voltage but like he says above - the input voltage is different. By the time I figured this out I had fried the Autometer sender.

As far as his question about keeping his gauge - IMO you really don't need a FP gauge if you use the XFI to log the FP - you only need to monitor FP if you have a fueling problem anyway - one less gauge cluttering up your dash.

The sender's are NOT the same. The Caspers unit uses a 12 volt input. They both have the same output. So yes, you can splice into the signal wire of the Autometer sender. To keep things clean, I would still run everything through the EGR plug. Keep in mind you will need to swap the plugs in the adaptor harness. It tells how in the directions. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

My bad. I assumed that the Autometer sender was getting 12V from the gauge. It's actually getting 5V reference from the gauge.

Bent6 said:
You must have done a little "custom wiring engineering" if you made it work. I meant that you can't just plug the XFI harness into the Autometer sender - it will damage the sender. I thought it would since they use the same 5v reference voltage but like he says above - the input voltage is different. By the time I figured this out I had fried the Autometer sender.

Yes, you're right - the autometer uses a 5V reference, not 12 as you'd get if you plugged it into the harness.

As Cal mentioned, I used the output of the Autometer sender as the input for one of the AUX channels on the XFI box. I did NOT use Casper's harness. If you don't want to buy the whole logging kit, you can just get Autometer's sender and use the 5V off of the Casper XFI adapter for the reference voltage. The XFI logging kit does make for a much cleaner installation though. I just wasn't really interested in logging oil pressure, and already had the Autometer sender so I didn't get the kit.

Jim

Ok yes I do have the Autometer sending unit so that t work but I do also have the ones for the FAST system. The labels are a little worn on them but I believe the oil and fuel senders are the same? Another thing, does the FAST system automatically adjust for issues with fuel pressure or oil pressure? I'm really wanting to clear some gauges out of the cabin of the car. I have a brand new mechanical oil pressure gauge. I agree on not really needing the fuel pressure gauge, what do you think about getting rid of the oil pressure gauge and just using the FAST system? BTW, I do have the FAST FUEL/OIL harness. What exactly do I have to do to the CASPERS Box for this to work?

Cal, I will also try giving you a buzz tomorrow. I am no pro at this so everything to help me learn is great!

Thanks again for all the great info guys!!! -----Jeremy

Ok yes I do have the Autometer sending unit so that t work but I do also have the ones for the FAST system. The labels are a little worn on them but I believe the oil and fuel senders are the same? Another thing, does the FAST system automatically adjust for issues with fuel pressure or oil pressure? I'm really wanting to clear some gauges out of the cabin of the car. I have a brand new mechanical oil pressure gauge. I agree on not really needing the fuel pressure gauge, what do you think about getting rid of the oil pressure gauge and just using the FAST system? BTW, I do have the FAST FUEL/OIL harness. What exactly do I have to do to the CASPERS Box for this to work?

Yes - the FAST/Caspers fuel and oil senders are the same.

The FAST system doesn't make any adjustments for fuel or oil pressure - it only monitors and/or logs them.

I don't run a fuel press gauge on my street car but I do prefer to keep an oil pressure gauge. You wouldn't be able to see what your oil press was unless you always had a laptop riding shotgun.

The Caspers adaptor box should have come with instructions to enable the harness. It's a small jumper that either enables the logging or EGR. I don't remember exactly where it is or how it's marked - Cal can hook you up on that.

TurboJimmy, thanks for the help on the drill and tap sir! You da man! I do appreciate the help very much! Now another question I have is, I am not using the stock sender for the oil pressure dummy light and stock boost solenoid, can I cut these to get them out of my way and cap them off or will that casue a problem? Or will these wires come in helpfull in the future if i decide to install more monitering devices for the FAST system? Also, will these being loose cause any faults with the car? The car is starting two really come together and hopefully she'll finally fire up here shortly! WOO HOO!

TurboJimmy, thanks for the help on the drill and tap sir! You da man! I do appreciate the help very much! Now another question I have is, I am not using the stock sender for the oil pressure dummy light and stock boost solenoid, can I cut these to get them out of my way and cap them off or will that casue a problem? Or will these wires come in helpfull in the future if i decide to install more monitering devices for the FAST system? Also, will these being loose cause any faults with the car? The car is starting two really come together and hopefully she'll finally fire up here shortly! WOO HOO!

No problem. I got them back in the mail today.

I just left the plugs hanging, it shouldn't hurt anything to cut them out but it doesn't hurt anything leaving them where they are either.

Jim

I would not run the MAP sensor into the car. If something happens to the line going to the MAP, you're screwed big time.

Get yourself a AEM MAP sensor and a plenum spacer. Drill the plenum spacer to 1/8NPT and screw the MAP sensor into it.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I would not run the MAP sensor into the car. If something happens to the line going to the MAP, you're screwed big time.

Get yourself a AEM MAP sensor and a plenum spacer. Drill the plenum spacer to 1/8NPT and screw the MAP sensor into it.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I actually thought about doing that too, BUT any higher and the vacuum block tears up the hood liner. I have already had to replace the hood liner once because the darn spacer made the plenum too high. That was with factory motor mounts too. Now I'm running HR Mounts and I'm scared to put the hood on!

Do you have a picture of that set up? Or do you know where to get a plate? Also how about a block off plate for the vac block on top of the plenum? I'm going to run it this way for no but I like that idea and will do that in the future.