Need someone to weld my heads to the block

I have re-used the Cometics THREE times and removed the rivets and cleaned each layer, then sprayed Copper-Coat. This last tear-down on a 14 bolt StageI, the #2 cylinder was split (again) and the head gasket was perfect. Not going to use them again, though. Just call me paranoid. One issue with the copper-Coat was a breif scare on first oil change. There was copper dust in the oil. I cut the filter aprt and there wasn't any bearing material in the pleats. So we concluded it was the copper coat on the gasket that overhangs into the lifter valley. At next oil change it was gone. But at first I thought I lost a cam bearing. On tear-down all the bearings looked new. (first time EVER for that with this engine:p) The cylinder wall was split becasue there was a crack in the hose going to the MAP sensor for the Alky system. First time it saw 22 psi boost it knocked HARD. Found the problem and fixed the hose, but the damage was already done. It still ran 10.12 @136 on 22 psi, pump gas and dual nozzle alcohol, and a split cylinder wall. Pushed water out of it durng each pass. (go figure) I thought it was the Cometic leaking, but it looked brand new ('cept for the copper coat) and there was ZERO leaking past the gasket. So, with 6 studs per cylinder, smooth deck, and smooth TA heads, a Cometic will hold enough pressure to make a 3" spit in a cylinder sleeve. (.090" iron) The block is being sonic checked to see if there is a real thin spot in that area. A Darton sleeve will be used this next time.

Quick question for everyone running cometics:
Are you installing them dry or prepped up with copper spray or something similiar. Are you experiencing a lot of failures?

Hey Kevin, when my Cometics were put on the 1st time they went on dry with no issues and no block prep at all (before I owned the car), when I rebuilt the motor the sealer coating on the Cometics was coming off when I was cleaning them so I sprayed them on both sides with copper spray before I put them on...Did not put anything between the layers.

Hey Kevin, when my Cometics were put on the 1st time they went on dry with no issues and no block prep at all (before I owned the car), when I rebuilt the motor the sealer coating on the Cometics was coming off when I was cleaning them so I sprayed them on both sides with copper spray before I put them on...Did not put anything between the layers.
I was just curious what everyone was doing. Toms car has taken a beaten all year with a few mishaps and has not had any cometic failures...installed dry. Clays car had a cometic failure early on and they were sprayed...I installed them dry the next time around and they have help up fine.

I was just curious what everyone was doing. Toms car has taken a beaten all year with a few mishaps and has not had any cometic failures...installed dry. Clays car had a cometic failure early on and they were sprayed...I installed them dry the next time around and they have help up fine.

tuning issues ???

Quick question for everyone running cometics:
Are you installing them dry or prepped up with copper spray or something similiar. Are you experiencing a lot of failures?
Dry with a small amount of silicone around oil drain back holes. Oil tends to get between the layers.

That is exactly what I built for my car. Here are a few pics of the plate. This is just a prototype, though it works great. I need to make a few changes to the design. THe nozzles have a .015" hole on the side of the nozzle. I aimed the holes down each runner.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/192814-alcoholic-twins-turbos.html

Maybe drill the EGR tower to supply methanol to each port. Then it could also spray into the exhaust ports to act as a flame thrower to spool the turbo.............Maybe I better quit thinking........

Use piston squirters to spray alcohol. Control volume with NOS jets. Still have to use a methanol compatable Nitrous solonoid. Getting easier as I type. <<grin>>

What about something like this..... 1000 HP 454ci AFR 315cc

I was looking at different nitrous systems and came across this article.

That system has been around for awhile. It think it would work OK, but the residence time needed to cool the intake charge just may not be there, being so close to the valve. The adaptor would allow a two stage Alky system, though. Might be the best way to run dual fuel. Gas to get up on boost and methanol when under boost. Small, stock injectors and LOTS of methanol when under boost. Wonder how many pistons I would burn trying to re-invent the wheel?:eek:

its the block thats where all youre problems are.check the deck i bet you it aint square or true.been there done that.

its the block thats where all youre problems are.check the deck i bet you it aint square or true.been there done that.

For sure. A straight Deck, Heads. I did some cross Scatches on the Deck to run the SCE Titans. Going on 4 years. No re-Torqueing and 30+ psi of boost on Pumps Gas..:eek: Don't blame Gaskets. But I can say I did not really like the Cometics though...Love SCE.. I am sold on them.

Joe

Anything is possible I suppose at this point. I had my block set up on a single pass cutter for Cometics, but no joy. I am willing to guess that it is a problem with too cold of plenum temps before a pile of methanol gets sprayed in.
I would see 60 deg F in the plenum before meth. The curse of cool air and a big front mount I guess....

Bryan,
What are you torquing the heads to? Bolts or studs? And were you running alky when it blew?

Ed

After reading through all the posts, i wonder if the problem is not so much the alky causing a lean condition but the rails themselves...I know a local MAGNA member around me had a problem leaning out #1 and he solved it by running Champion rails dual-fed....I'm currently in the process of dual feeding my Champ's right now. Just seems like at your boost levels, the fuel itself could be causing some of the lean condition...just my $.02

So what new gaskets are you guys goin to use to replace the junk Cometics ??

These have always worked good for me.

D

Sorry, i couldn't resist!

Attachments

• IMG00433.jpg
    IMG00433.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 361
Bryan,
What are you torquing the heads to? Bolts or studs? And were you running alky when it blew?

Ed

Heads are torqued to 85 lbs. ARP Bolts.
I was running ALKY and just at 15lbs of boost with no knock doing some tuning. The head gasket hasn't " Blown " to where I am losing compression. My cooling system is being pressurized and blowing coolant out of the overflow. I am going to re-torque and try some sealant tabs before I pull the heads.

Bryan