new ebay headers

It would be real nice if some TR vendor out there, would buy all these headers up, and massage them to fit properly, then add a reasonable cost to them for the work.

Good idea, also the only way I would buy a set. Guarantee their fit and sell them for $325.00

Just helped a fellow gn friend put his tranny and engine together and he had a poston set of jet coated headers and i was jealous of the fit compared to what i had with my chinese set from ss but the cost was 1.5 times more
(650) compared to (275) so i don't feel to bad for all the work and yes i had to have my downpipe moved had to put flex pipe on till i got it to the muffler shop.

Why would someone put a set of headers on a mostly stock Turbo Buick??

You can easily go well into the 10's with the stock headers and crossover.

The drivers side had a huge crack in it, and rather than pulling it to weld, he saw these things on ebay, and thought that it would be a better idea:rolleyes: . After installing these, I'll just keep saving for a set of headers from Mark for my own GN.

you don't think a aftermarket set of header would help a stock car?

I do you really should try doing some backpressure tests pre-turbo to see if there is a gain from losing the stock pos headers.

That part of why they crack is because of they are restrictive and have poor flow area's

yes a stock headers can run in the 10's but at what boost level? a aftermarket set of headers may make getting in the 10's a little easir by not having to run as much boost to over come flow throught out the engine. cause what goes in must come out.

this is just my thinking from a simple guy in nc

Actually there are headers out there that hurt performance over the stockers.

Unported weld slag and 3 bolt flange area Postens, the Hookers.... well they get better once you're in the 9's. :eek: :biggrin:

Most welded stockers aren't POS. :smile:

remember

the guy that started this thread picked up 2 mph with nothing more than a header swap. If thats true then they're worth it IMO:smile: (unless thay crack and fall apart:eek: ) Ross

I just ordered a pair of TA headers from gbodyparts.com (who I guess gets them from Nick?). After weighing all the options I just didn't want to risk having to goof around with eBay headers that didn't fit right. I also prefer to pay (some would say over-pay but it's all relative) people who support the hobby, who have been around a while and who I know I can count on to resolve any issues I might have with them. Plus I can't help but think the old adage 'you get what you pay for' applies in this case. I know some people have had good luck with the 'ebay headers' but it's not a risk I want to take.

I'm not really looking for performance gains, though I hope to see some benefit from them. I'm tired of having my driver's side header repaired and my passenger side header simply will not seal anymore. I replace the gasket on that side twice a year. The last trip to the welder (just last year) to have the driver's side fixed resulted in him burning through it in 3 spots and slag on the inside of the header. It was partially his fault, but the thing was such a mess from being fixed so many times I don't blame him 100%. He didn't want to touch it but I insisted because I was in a bind. It leaks again. I'm done with the stock ones.

Jim

There is what, 3 places selling the same ones? I can tell you I would not buy one from the guy that uses the "Not rinky dink made by chink" moniker, pretty classless.

There is what, 3 places selling the same ones? I can tell you I would not buy one from the guy that uses the "Not rinky dink made by chink" moniker, pretty classless.

I guess there are 3: gbodyparts, ArizonaGN and I presume directly from TA Performance. I just went to Brian because he's a familiar 'face' in the hobby and set up a nice website that made it easy to order.

I don't know who made that statement - it's disappointing that people post stuff like that. My decision had nothing to do with where they're made. It's the hit or miss quality of the JDM headers and lack of resolution when you do have a problem that concerned me.

Jim

I guess there are 3: gbodyparts, ArizonaGN and I presume directly from TA Performance. I just went to Brian because he's a familiar 'face' in the hobby and set up a nice website that made it easy to order.

I don't know who made that statement - it's disappointing that people post stuff like that. My decision had nothing to do with where they're made. It's the hit or miss quality of the JDM headers and lack of resolution when you do have a problem that concerned me.

Jim

IF I had to go with headers thats where I would go :biggrin: I am old and tired of making things "fit" :eek: :cool:

Jim

No I was talking about the 3 Ebay Header sellers. One uses the "forget the rinky dink made by chink" slogan and they are the same chinese headers as the other 2. :eek: :mad:

Just a tasteless may to advertise, that is for sure.

No I was talking about the 3 Ebay Header sellers. One uses the "forget the rinky dink made by chink" slogan and they are the same chinese headers as the other 2. :eek: :mad:

It is definitely a tasteless way to advertise. I thought one of the TR vendors said that. I should have known better - the TR vendors are a classy bunch :biggrin:

Jim

Ya know it made me laugh for a second, then I thought about it and realized that is really disrespectful. :mad:

In my last post I said I'd get a set of headers from Mark, my mistake, I meant either Nick or Brian.........Been placing so many orders I got the vendors mixed up:eek:

These "eBay" headers are worthless pieces of junk IMO. After struggling with the car for around 5 hours to pull the old stockers off and get both new ones put in, the crossover will absolutely not go in. The Stock downpipe had to come out just to make room to see if the crossover would fit. Drivers side part of crossover fits fine, but passenger piece hits the frame, the a-arm, and doesn't even come close to lining up with the drivers side. Oh and the clamps that are supplied with them do not come close to holding the pipes together tight. The guy paid around $240 shipped for them, and now will have to have an exhaust shop make those crossover pieces work, cut&weld the stock downpipe, and they will probably charge at least $150 for that. The guy would have been better off buying a set like the T/A headers and installing them himself. By the time he's done with it, he'll have that much into these headers.

My .02........Stay away from the eBay headers

In my last post I said I'd get a set of headers from Mark, my mistake, I meant either Nick or Brian.........Been placing so many orders I got the vendors mixed up:eek:

These "eBay" headers are worthless pieces of junk IMO. After struggling with the car for around 5 hours to pull the old stockers off and get both new ones put in, the crossover will absolutely not go in. The Stock downpipe had to come out just to make room to see if the crossover would fit. Drivers side part of crossover fits fine, but passenger piece hits the frame, the a-arm, and doesn't even come close to lining up with the drivers side. Oh and the clamps that are supplied with them do not come close to holding the pipes together tight. The guy paid around $240 shipped for them, and now will have to have an exhaust shop make those crossover pieces work, cut&weld the stock downpipe, and they will probably charge at least $150 for that. The guy would have been better off buying a set like the T/A headers and installing them himself. By the time he's done with it, he'll have that much into these headers.

My .02........Stay away from the eBay headers

how did you manage to get he pass side header off without removeing the downpipe anyway? Also you mention that the crossover is hitting the a arm on the pass side. that sounds like the motor mount is sagging and old.

my 3 inch THDP fit so i would think the stock downpipe would fit with no hassels

I unbolted the stock downpipe at the elbow and pulled it toward the inner fender. I believe I pulled the manifold out underneath the turbo. The crossover wasn't able to go fully into the passenger header because it was hitting the a-arm at the bushing and at the frame. That crossover piece looked to be welded wrong because it didn't come anywhere close to lining up with the drivers side piece.

As for hitting the a-arm it may be due to an old motor mount, that GN has around 99k miles on it, and nearly everything looks stock. (even the crossflow muffler:eek: )

how did you manage to get he pass side header off without removeing the downpipe anyway?

I take the passenger side header off all the time without removing the downpipe. It would obviously be easier if it weren't in the way, but it is possible to remove and install the header with the downpipe there.

Jim

IF I had to go with headers thats where I would go :biggrin: I am old and tired of making things "fit" :eek: :cool:

True i'm tired of making things fit but the cost was a determining factor and the fact that i've taken my stockers off twice its actually less of a hassle, i personally have over 2k on my new headers and really think they will outdo my stockers performance and from a quality standpoint due to thier age and no weld is gonna prevent future cracks also my cost total with downpipe redone and bung welded in not done on mine was 400 smackers and that included a case of budweiser.:biggrin: