new logger and need help

turboChrisaj

Hi I have been reading for a year while restoring my 1986 gn but now that its almost done and warm weather is here so I took it out for a drive but it starts to buld boost to 8 to 10 pis and fells like it hits a wall and loses all its power. Its all stock other then a 3.5 downpipe and 2.5 to the tails with flowmasters, tps booster with leds and napa ecm with power logger. I have read a lot on this and replaced all the growns, coil pack ,wires,pulgs and all new vaccum lines and I tryed a maf trans with 3.5 maf and that made it wores and it was poping at the same point it hits the wall with the stock maf. all hole fuel system is stock a well but I will have a gauge on the fuel rail buy the end of the week to see where thats at. if anyone can help me out i will apprectate it a lot. He are my logs and when it drops off its the car not me but i do lift when it dose it. thank u chris

Attachments

• to get gas.dat
    488.1 KB · Views: 66
  • first run to day rd and back with hard run up the drive way.dat
    445.6 KB · Views: 99
turboChrisaj said:
. all hole fuel system is stock as well

Here is your problem. Fuel system has to be first. Period. Get a good intank pump like the racetronix pump that is a complete assembly(new sending unit/hanger, wiring etc)
Make sure your fuel regulator is functioning properly. I had an old school adjustable one on a locals car that was acting stupid today. I suggest an Accufab regulator.
Clean fuel filter
Also a Hotwire kit for the fuel pump. Also add an extra ground from the body bolt where the Hotwire relay mounts over to the frame where the bumper bolts to it.

These are the bare minimums required to start making some HP with your turbobuick.

ok I will try to start with that. Sorry I forgot to say I have a hotwire kit on it now and a new napa pump in it. I was going to get a 340 0r 255 fuel pump but I went with the new style oem cause I have stock injectors and thought te 340 would be way over board for the stockers lol

turboChrisaj said:
ok I will try to start with that. Sorry I forgot to say I have a hotwire kit on it now and a new napa pump in it. I was going to get a 340 0r 255 fuel pump but I went with the new style oem cause I have stock injectors and thought te 340 would be way over board for the stockers lol

It may be. You need a gauge to verify what the fuel pressure is doing when you into boost.
Case in point: today, I am working on an 86 GN , new 255lph pump, Hotwire, grounds, clean fuel filter etc etc. I go to boost it and it absolutely falls on its face. Fuel pressure gauge shows pressure actually dropping!! How can this be when we have all this badass fuel system?? The last thing was an old fuel regulator that was sticking. Watching the fuel pressure gauge stuck under the windshield wiper was the only way to see exactly what was going on. That napa pump is probably not cutting it. Also the wires inside the tank could be deteriorated.

Thank u I will order a new pump and reg. what pump should I go with and should I get a the fuel pressure gauge that hooks to my power logger so that it will log that as well and not go with a gauge in the car? Where is the best place to buy it all? Thank u chris

Thank u for the help I got it all coming so I hope to have it all in by the end of the week and hope it will let me get into boost. I can't wait lol lol

Hi I just put the new 340 pump in and the accufab fuel pressure regulator on and hot wire kit and now my fuel pressure goes to 60-100 and loads it up and I have turn the screw out all the way and it dose not change to pressure at all. Did I get a bad regulator? I hope not and I just missed something. If anyone can help or had this happen to them let me know. Thank u chris

It will go to 42 psi with the key off and when u start the car it lowest it 65 psi not sure why it's doing that

turboChrisaj said:
It will go to 42 psi with the key off and when u start the car it lowest it 65 psi not sure why it's doing that

What does it go to when you first turn the key but don't start the engine?

When I first turn the key on it shoot up to 100 then comes down to 42 or 43 but when I start the car it shoot back up to 100 then to 70 or 80 then the car loads up.

turboChrisaj said:
When I first turn the key on it shoot up to 100 then comes down to 42 or 43 but when I start the car it shoot back up to 100 then to 70 or 80 then the car loads up.

I am willing to bet you got a line crossed at the tank. The return line and the vent line are pretty close in size and people have mixed them up before. That or the fuel return line is kinked somewhere. With it coming back down to 43 before you start the car tells me that is what the regulator will hold in the line.

Do u happen to know off the top of your head what line is what on the sender and dose the return line run down the passanger side of the car? Lol I thought I had it right but maybe not lol. I did take the tank back down and look to see if I punched a line putting it up hopping that was it but it looked fine but I never thought that they could be hooked up wrong lol

The middle line is the return. The one on the top is the vent. If you look at the pictures you will see what is what. I would just drop the tank with out disconnecting the lines and trace out what you have. Also check the return line underneath the regulator. See if it is kinked at the bend.

Attachments

• image-3921789050.jpg
    image-3921789050.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1169691666.jpg
    image-1169691666.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 82
Ok I put new feed lines from front to back but the return line was ss already so I left it but the feed was still steel and the vent line looked good so I did nothing with that and the rubber line from above the rearend to the tank so maybe a kink on the car side not the tank cause I never looked there after the tank was back in.

turboChrisaj said:
Ok I put new feed lines from front to back but the return line was ss already so I left it but the feed was still steel and the vent line looked good so I did nothing with that and the rubber line from above the rearend to the tank so maybe a kink on the car side not the tank cause I never looked there after the tank was back in.

One thing you could do is disconnect the return line under the motor at the frame rail. Connect another hose and place in a bucket. See if it goes to 80-100 psi when the key is turned on or not.

When you installed the fuel pump did you remove the rubber lines from the pump hanger?

Ok I will try that in the morning and yes I did. I used the fuel pump kit from full throttle so that should be ok but now that I thought about it I think the return line is the problem but the only think I did with it was unhook it at the tank so it got to be some where in that area I would think.

turboChrisaj said:
Ok I will try that in the morning and yes I did. I used the fuel pump kit from full throttle so that should be ok but now that I thought about it I think the return line is the problem but the only think I did with it was unhook it at the tank so it got to be some where in that area I would think.

It's an easy mistake to make. Post up what you find.

turboChrisaj said:
If I find the problem do u know if 43 psi is to much with stock chip and injectors or is that ok?

43 should be fine. That's what I set a few local cars at that are fairly stock.