New TE60 still worth buying? Or is there a newer/better turbo for the fast street car

22lbChevelle

I've got $1000 burning a hole in my pocket as I wonder whether my plan to go with a new TE60 from fullthrottlespeed is my best choice.

I basically want a well mannered, fast street car and I thought that the TE60 would be about as big as I would want to go.

Am I right that the TE60 is the biggest turbo before you have to start running a converter and other parts that aren't street friendly?

My converter is stock now but will be replaced with whatever is the appropriate converter for the turbo I buy. The longblock is stock but will be replaced with a GN1/roller motor in about 2 years.

Would I enjoy the TE60 before the converter swap? Will I enjoy it once I get the heads and cam?

Its hard to drop $650 on something that you have so many questions about, so hopefully I can get some input.

I have a TE60 on a stock converter.

It works ok with stock heads/intake, with some lag.

Just added ported heads/intake, and a PTC converter is next on my list.

I have a te44 with stock converter and the lag is terrible. I haven't been to the track but I bet my '60 times are in the very high 2 to low 3 sec range. Runs like a raped ape once I hit about 13# of boost. I can foot brake about 3# on the street. Once it get's rolling it feels like I unhooked a boat anchor...

Get yourself 2800-3000 converter first. There has been a few in for sale section. Then the 60 will work like it should:D good turbo to take you into the 11's without pushing to hard.

Just got myself a TE60 from Gbodyparts. Haven't installed it yet since the hot side got sent out right away to get coated, but I have ported heads/intake and a slightly bigger cam.. Also have a 2800 stall.. All I need is to get new front brakes and maybe it will hold. I am excited to see what it can do once I get some injectors/tune and alky!

So theres no "new tech" turbo around the same size that would blow a te60 away? I mean without spending $1500?

Also getting the converter first is out of the question since I don't have a good stock turbo to use. I am turbo-less.

Hey I was looking for that chart, thanks Znix

So it looks like fullthrottle has the 5857 which is equivalent to the te44.

Is the extra $369 really worth it with the precision turbos?

I have no experience here. I am watching this thread as I have that same question lol.

Thanks Oil Man I will do that if I chose to pick a newer style turbo.

I will probably go with the TE60. Whichever way I go I will film the spool up so that people can reference it.

Stock converter with anything other than a Garrett ex. housing will spool too slow imo. Unless youre planning on running the boost high there will be little gain with any turbo. I could see the 5857 doing better than the old te44 or te60 but it isnt going to happen running low boost. Fwiw the TE60 wont do more than a 44 on these engines unless you are really running the boost/rpm up and you hit backpressure anyway. Most cars run out of valve spring before even the 44 is out of breath. Both hit backpresure issues around the same power. The TE44 has been 10.80's. I just went 10.61 a few weeks ago with a T04S 60-1 which uses the same compressor as the TE60. I did have a turbine that had much less back pressure than the 31 trim which is used on the TE60 though. Id be concerned with spoolup more than anything. I have a TA49 with a Garrett housing available in the parts for sale section. Its the best compromise if you dont have a converter.

Are you running the stock turbo, your Sig doesn't say what turbo but your times appear to be.

Personally, I don't see the point buying new older tech wheels when the new designs make more power sooner. Hell, the GN crowd is missing out on two NEWER tech wheels (Borg Warner, BullsEye Turbo) and we're still talking about getting cast wheeled turbos which are 4 designs ago. :frown:

Wanna eventually roll into the mid to low 10's, just get a 62/62 and build around it. Otherwise you'll probably end up buying another turbo years from now wasting more $.

Wanna run low 11's no prob with potential high 10's, get a 58/57 with Injectors and a new rear end gear for sure WTH??? The converter is important but expensive and you might be able to keep the stocker with this turbo on a good tune. Others have the cast 58/57 with the stock converter (locked) into the low 11's so it's possible.

I have a stock converter now but I will get whatever converter is required for whatever turbo I choose.

I also have no problem running high boost, I was running 25psi daily with my old setup. Old setup was a ****ty 4 bolt turbo adapted to atr headers that were too close to the chevelle a-arms.

So would a 62/62 S Cover? or E cover?

Would either be good with a stock longblock for a year or two , given that I get the appropriate converter?

I had a 3200 l/u A/C converter with my TE-60 instant spool ... got a 1.55 60ft with my DR's .... front mount 50lb inj stock long block

Are you currently running the stock turbo?

E cover is most practical for this platform unless you're planning on 30psi +.

I have a TA49 with a Garrett housing available in the parts for sale section. Its the best compromise if you dont have a converter.

+1

I would buy that turbo! Smaller exhaust housing (Garrett) is the way to go on a stock motored and stock converter... GN.