Nissan GT-R----your thoughts?

Since bragging about stock pix is part of the thread...let me brag about mine...
I picked a company called Exodus during the dot com boom...guess what happened....they made an exodus with all my money.:(

regardless but 200ms or 80ms..that is damn quick.....and without a doubt quicker then any person can shift a stick shift...and the GTR is considered the quickest full auto out there on a true production car...M

Turn in/throttle out there are three lesser cars (Ferrari's) that will be in front of the legendary GTR. That's what shift time regards. It's not a "full auto" tranny.

Don't get me wrong I have been following the Skyline since Gran Turismo 1. It has an impressive heritage and I happen to like it. It is a fast mofo for sure. It is as fast in a straight line as one of those black regal thing-a-ma-bobs with about 2K in bolt-ons (originally purchased for $18K)

Technology is amazing and it is leaving us in the dust. Too much technology is a whole other can of worms.

Enjoy your GTR, I wish I could.

I still think it looks damn cool

For a car that gets a **** load of looks..... The attention is certainly
cool but I doubt the onlookers are saying. "what an ugly car"
my oh my that thing is the ugliest car since the Yugo hit the streets of America. Lol. Yeah right

Either way 1989tta maybe we should be exchanging stock picks
and with our energy. Atleast we can profit from arguing

I have a Fiance to argue with. But when we argue I gotta get
a hooker or a couple of 8 balls and the VIP room at a dive club to
spring my ass back to manhood. So the bitch costs me money
I prefer to make some.

I am not worried about the tranny once again and I will mod the ****
out if it within reason lol

True the Zr1 will squash the GtR in certain things but then again
I like being original and I adore the super quick auto. Too lazy to drive a
stick anymore. So the GTR is my choice

I can share my experience against a gtr that i actually raced, and 1 that i saw run at the local 1/8th mile track.

My mod are in my sig... Te61 #25 psi , stock ported heads, stock 112k mile tranny never been touched that slips 2nd gear and left that race with 0 psi and a horrible 2.3 60 foot. The gtr jumped out easily 2 cars but at the end of the 8th i was at his rear wheels, so if it was a 1/4 mile Im 100% i would have won.

Then the same GTR raced a Jimmy with a small block chevy with some nitrous that i previously beat on a 7.70 run with a stock turbo and the jimmy won that race because that skyline broke loose at the light. So i figure if I would have cut a normal 1.7 60' I woulda had the skyline.

Now another skyline showed up and was competing in king of the street and the best e.t. was a 7.64 , again slower than my bolt-on buick.

I love those cars since nissan started with the R31 and the progression has been insane for them. But it wasnted engineered to be a drag race car, thats a track car. Personally i'd stick with a good ol' TR as a drag car knowing that its cheaper in terms of parts and doesnt have all the electronic gadgets that can glitch up at any moment. As a track car/time attack... GTR hands down takes the cake!!

My thoughts

Just think how much better of a car it would be if it wasn't a 3800# pig.

I think the GTR is sexy as hell

but I only read this thread for Mean Chickens comments! :biggrin:

A guy I work with has an 02 Z06.
Yesterday he was driving along and a GTR came up on him....then completely blew his doors off from a 50mph rolling start.

He said he felt like he was driving his Honda Civic commuter car...:biggrin:

I saw a GT-R last week on the freeway last week...funny thing is he gave me a thumbs up. :cool:

19TTA89.......it would be safe to say that you cannot afford a GTR....and that your head is stuck up your ass when it comes to anything short of a TTA......I am not selling my GTR....I am only comparing....all TR'S are the cars I consider the ultimate collector car...nothing in that time period was worth owning.....I think of myself as a car enthusiast not a TR or Chevy guy...a lot of people ask me my opinion on buying a car and I point to the best of the best...the GTR is the best in its class......I like all cars and give a ton of respect to the engineering to a lot of the cars built today...I love the CTS-V 2009... I think the 65's AMG'S are the perfect Luxury/Supercar....and have more power then any other car on the road....The GTR was built to beat and be direct competition to the 997 Turbo P cars and to the ZO6....it turns out the GTR is a better performer then a F430 and Gallardo as well.....I love the ZO6...and ZR1.....have driven both and owned a few Z06's ...most guys who own a GTR have had a Lambo or Z06 ...The reason for the GTR PURCHASE is that the car is unique and has a great appeal as well as comfort... I choose to own something a lot less common....and for overall performance the GTR is unbeatable....vettes are everywhere as well as 997's.....

A member mentioned that he would rather buy a 996 Turbo car over a GTR...have you really owned one of those cars? They are crap...If I was to buy another one it would be a 2005 Turbo S..but then again I will not buy another one... this car would cost around $50k...it is used so a loan would have more interest and in the end you would be stuck with a no warranty **** box where the payments would be the same as a 2009 GTR....why? Ignorant comment .......

For those who knock the GTR it is just ignorance plain and simple....I have seen guys on here knock the AMG's as well...again it must be an affordable issue or just plain stupidity knowing anything more about cars then a 24 year old Box Buick....

No..... there are less then 100 Limited Turbos left....I will stick to my guns on this one..it still hasnt been proven yet....I bet money on it and nobody has come up with another number

OH AND as far as any TR beating one...yeah at the track yes it is possible ......but on the street no way....a modified GTR with $2500 into runs 132 mph at the track and a mid 10 sec. 1/4 time.....not to mention the car shifts faster then any auto built in the world....so a modified GTR would hit 70 mph in under 2 seconds....with PERFECT TRACTION.....the car is a 4 wheel drive car under full throttle and a 2 wheel drive car for short sprints....

The GTR is indeed a nice ride. And if the owners like them, then more power to them. BUT, we gotta support our country. Buying foreign products (when we have a choice.) is going to sink us guys.
And for 85,000 dollars, that car better make me cole slaw while I drive there buddy. And you say it's the fastest car to 70 on the streets? Really? My friends shop has a few gn's in it, that beg to differ. There's a couple 12" mt ET dragged cars in there, that have no problem whatsoever hooking on the streets, and have costed a FRACTION of a supercar.
And freshly waxed grand nationals don't turn heads? shiiiiit. I've broken more than a few necks on woodward ave., when my turbine whine caught someones ear, and turned their eyes to saucers when they seen what it was... I think, in our own rights, we're supercars too. Though, I do admit, I would love an old 70's era 911 turbo. Would I buy one now though? Nope. Gotta support my countrymen. Do my part to help us out of this recession. (and hopefully keep us out as well. though i fear only a few bullets in some politicians is the only thing that will do that.)
I'd buy a 70 skylark, and turn it into a stage 1. :)

I've broken more than a few necks on woodward ave., when my turbine whine caught someones ear, and turned their eyes to saucers when they seen what it was...

Do tell!
Last week on the way home, a high school kid in an Sti was going past me in traffic as I accelerated from a light. I gave it a smidge extra throttle as he went by so he could get a good audible on that air getting sucked through the TRC Cold Air kit and the turbo spool.
He was probably going about 5mph faster than me since his lane was moving better.

As soon as he heard it, his head turned so fast to the left that he swerved to the right and almost ate a curb.

I could read his lips as he looked back over his shoulder again, "Holy [expletive omitted]!!!"

He slowed back down so he could hear some more and was going completely crazy.

We ended up next to each other in traffic at another light and he started asking questions...he had absolutely no clue what a Grand National was...so I told him a little about it. He was like a kid in a candy store just taking it all in.

A couple lights later, he was behind a car but I was in the front row. When it went green, since there was no traffic ahead, I gave him a little show and nailed it as I left the light.
He was pumping his fist out the window cheering me on as I dissappeared...totally made his day.:biggrin:
I love it when I influence the hearts and minds of the young...:biggrin:

Even tho' my GN aint the prettiest one around (original paint is faded and spider webbing on the hood, etc.), It still gets compliments pretty much everywhere I go.

I am back. U all missed me. I know it. I feel it

Latest news. Well as you all know I boasted about my GTR to start this thread
As an owner of over 25 TRs and currently own 2 including a GNX I will say I have been around the block with old muscle and technology as well as an owner of a lot of newer cars including my favorites ....the AMG 65s being the most powerful cars of all time .....

So I got my GTR tuned on Monday. I had a Y pipe installed which eliminates
the secondary cats as well as the resonators....I also had a custom dyno tune
done with a Cobb access port. $2500 is what I spent. Not a dime more

results. It layed down 509 AWD Hp and 519 ft lbs torque AWD
not much to compare to my 900 ft lb torque tuned Mercedes but the GTR is a different animal and one that gets all the power to the ground Period

Also for those who are the "Buy" American big hitters well 30% of Toyotas are built here and other jap
brands as well. Right here in USA. My GTR has parts and engineering from 6 different countries as well as
America. America is a free trade country. When u say American but u should say
Worldly built. Makes more sense since every car's nuts and bolts including ones made here by Chevy and ford all have parts in them from all over the world. :)
A

With these mods that took an hour to do
my best time tonight was a 10.89@131 with a 3000 rpm brake and pedal stomp

I ran it 5 times and was between a 10.89-11.3 @127-131

My 0-60 was a 2.2-2.5 seconds
This is exactly what a 1.4 million dollar Buggatti Veryron does!!

I paid $69k for this car with 350 miles. MSRP was $85k
Driving the car is no less then being a Celebrity. Is is a overwhelming attention
Hog.

I feel my money was well spent on a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche
Killer.

I love the Buicks but I love modern cars a whole lot more

Also there has been a recent blown tranny on a much more modded car
then mine. Nissan did an engineer check on the car and even read the owners
Nagtroc blogs. Tranny replaced. No Issue So this should clear the warranty myths

As an owner of over 25 TRs and currently own 2 including a GNX I will say I have been around the block with old muscle and technology as well as an owner of a lot of newer cars including my favorites ....the AMG 65s being the most powerful cars of all time .....

not much to compare to my 900 ft lb torque tuned Mercedes but the GTR is a different animal and one that gets all the power to the ground Period

Also for those who are the "Buy" American big hitters well 30% of Toyotas are built here and other jap
brands as well. Right here in USA. My GTR has parts and engineering from 6 different countries as well as
Worldly built. Makes more sense since every car's nuts and bolts including ones made here by Chevy and ford all have parts in them from all over the world. :)
A

Driving the car is no less then being a Celebrity. Is is a overwhelming attention
Hog.

Killer.

Nagtroc blogs. Tranny replaced. No Issue So this should clear the warranty myths

That is really amazing..... Im not really sure if many people here relize but when launching the GTR your not in BOOST until to car starts to move:eek: so imagine if your able to come out of the hole 3,4,5 or even 10 psi:eek::eek:

slowcar said:

A

Hog.

Killer.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the new GTR no one can deny the fact those are very impressive times for the minimal amount of cash and time spent to get there. I'm still an R32 fan as far as styling goes but the technology in the new GTR is leaps ahead of the old RB26 motors.

Great job slowcar!

You got that right!!!

Better yet how many american cars are built in Canada OR Mexico ????????????

How many american cars are built in canada? A decent amount... but wheres all the dollars in profit going? the continental united states. yep. that's right guys.

Lol Diaz.... You r right. But lets take this to a realistic level

America sells more cars then all the world combined x5
China is catching up

So for every independant dealer,mechanic,salesman,porter and parts suppliers in the USA who are employed by the car industry here spends his and her paychecks on AMERICAN goods and services....and I would be safe to say that not many Japanese non English speaking salesman work at Lexus,Nissan etc and after they get paid fly back to Japan and spend those hard earned American dollars.....lol

So buy what to support what? Lol. It is simply an economic
melting pot in America

All the money the import car makers earn goes right to us and our people in the end
We sell them fix them and own all of them

80% of a company like Toyota and Nissan is wrapped up in their franchise/company owned dealer networks
Without The USA theses companies would be worthless and we would have a lot of unemployed
AMERICANS

So buy what to support what? Lol. It is simply an economic
melting pot in America

Very true....it's a global economy and dollars travel around the world no matter what region they get spent in;...however, there is no looking around the wide angle impact of an American auto factory shutting down.

It absolutely crushes smaller businesses who's lively hood was based on that American auto factories existence.

For example....when Obama Motors took over GM and shut down the High Performance Division....it killed off a whole bunch of mom and pop operations (and some larger ones) who were used for parts, fabrication and outsourced engineering support by that division.

It's a killer...and it's worse if a whole factory shuts down

All that said...does it mean you shouldn't buy a GTR?
No.
It is a free country...for now anyway....so buy what you want and enjoy it, my fellow American:D.

It's also fair to mention that more American auto factories shut down due to being strangulated by outmoded and unyielding Union contracts.
Sorry to any card carrying auto union members but....my opinion...unions that were necessary in the early 1900's to protect the workers are now doing more harm than good...

Just using myself as an example...
Since graduating high school in 1981...I've only been out of work for 2 months (one month after getting out of the Navy and one month after being laid off by a defense contractor) and have never felt at any time that I was enslaved by my employer, always been paid fair, always had very good benefits packages. Even when I got laid off, I collected a fair severance package and the company treated me with respect and dignity....and I have never needed a Union to protect me.
It's pretty much a given that standard employment regulations and modern business ethics do a very good job protecting employees these days...large scale Unions like those in the Auto, Medical and Airline industries do nothing more than drive high costs and ultimately....are a major killer to the affected industry.

So your union job goes bye bye anyway...and along with it....thousands of unprotected small businesses go under. Congratulations!
You win!!!!:rolleyes:

Being "employable and retainable" is a payback I receive for being a hard and productive worker, and I work hard to make sure the company I work for succeeds...and I expect no less form the 12 people who work for me. It's how we stay in business and it pays our bills.

Every time I read another story about a Union jobs shop where union workers who are protected by contract from being truly "laid off" sit all day collecting near full salary and benefits while watching cable TV, reading magazines and playing cards and making no effort to go out and find a new job....I wonder why simple math doesn't take over in these peopls minds...

The other one that bugs me is a Union worker who is paid to turn 30 screws an hour, won't turn 35 screws an hour if needed only because...."Even tho I am fully capable of turning 35....I only have to turn 30...that's my contract...and don't ask me to turn nuts cuz I can't....nut turning is not in my contract...now get out of my way, it's break time.....donchyoo make me file a grievance..."

There is no way for the American auto industry to cut costs or improve efficiencies the way a normal industry can.

Why does Toyota do so well in America?
No Union strangle hold....lots of happy productive workers working as a team and if necessary....picking up slack and doing each others jobs to help meet the revenue goal and profitability....and no labor disputes to speak of....wonder why?