power plate...poll

I thought the whole point of the plate was to even out air distribution to the leaner running cylinders. Shouldn't that "up" the power and increase durability?

I thought the whole point of the plate was to even out air distribution to the leaner running cylinders. Shouldn't that "up" the power and increase durability?

Yes. No one ever said a PP flows more, just more evenly. Common misconception. But I don't know anyone who has gone slower with one.

I added a power plate after looking at plugs and realized I was not even across all cylinders. I am a high 11 low 12 street car.

I bought my power plate when they first became available years ago. It has never caused any problems so i leave it alone.

That's all it does, even out air flow. I don't think it's advertised to do anything else.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's all it does, even out air flow. I don't think it's advertised to do anything else.

That's how I understood it also. I run a 1 inch spacer only and was told that this would help with air distribution as well.

The other benefit of the RJC Power Plate is knock retard reduction.

It does this by evening the flow to each cylinder as mentioned. It doesn't reduce kr in and of itself. As a side effect of what it actually does, you MAY see a reduction in kr. Case in point, an alky car without power plate probably doesn't show any kr if tuned properly. The car would still benefit from a PP though from a more even flow to each cylinder. Some say the PP hurts alky distribution but not if there is enough heat to cause the alky to flash properly.

To be a little more specific about just what these Power Plates can do. Say if you have a stock or a slight build running on 93 pump gas. You are most likely at WOT between 4 to 5 degrees of timing retard on a properly running engine. Mainly cylinder 6 and 3 are the culprits of KR since they will be the leaner 2 at WOT. You are already losing timing and hp at this point. Putting the head gaskets in the red zone comes to mind also. The PP addition at this point most likely will eliminate 95% of timing retard by having all cylinders with even airflow. You will also be able to get away with 2 more lbs of boost since there is more room for air with a spacer. The car will feel faster now because there is no timing being pulled back. The PP itself did nothing except provide a little more air space for the plenum. It just simply allows the engine to run more efficient but feels like you added 50hp. Now if your have alky kit, SD chip or E-85 it's probably not going to do much for you.

so is there no need for the PP with a set of ported heads and intake from Champion with ALKY?

Well I used a PP with alky and had no issues but others out there feel different about it. That seems to be true with a lot of things on these cars, always two sides to the coin. If it aint broke don't fix it :D.

so is there no need for the PP with a set of ported heads and intake from Champion with ALKY?

As i mentioned earlier in this thread i use the power plate and i have GN1 aluminum heads,ported intake by Champion,dual nozzle alkycontrol,Maftpro SD setup,and 25% e85. I can run 20 lbs boost on 93 octane only and yes this is without the alky turned on or with e85 added to the 93.

As i mentioned earlier in this thread i use the power plate and i have GN1 aluminum heads,ported intake by Champion,dual nozzle alkycontrol,Maftpro SD setup,and 25% e85. I can run 20 lbs boost on 93 octane only.

But it's not 93 octane only...

To be a little more specific about just what these Power Plates can do. Say if you have a stock or a slight build running on 93 pump gas. You are most likely at WOT between 4 to 5 degrees of timing retard on a properly running engine. Mainly cylinder 6 and 3 are the culprits of KR since they will be the leaner 2 at WOT. You are already losing timing and hp at this point. Putting the head gaskets in the red zone comes to mind also. The PP addition at this point most likely will eliminate 95% of timing retard by having all cylinders with even airflow. You will also be able to get away with 2 more lbs of boost since there is more room for air with a spacer. The car will feel faster now because there is no timing being pulled back. The PP itself did nothing except provide a little more air space for the plenum. It just simply allows the engine to run more efficient but feels like you added 50hp. Now if your have alky kit, SD chip or E-85 it's probably not going to do much for you.

Also not true. There are very little to no volume gains from a PP; it is not a spacer. And cylinders 6 & 3 are not necessarily the ones leaning out. It can be 1 & 2, or 5 & 6 depending on flow and how your fuel system is set up. Everyone's car is different so "most likely" scenarios don't exist without more information. Spacers don't do anything with kr control, they simply increase volume at WOT but most cars don't need them either until very fast; I don't know what the cut off is.

To the OP, read your plugs and figure out if YOUR car needs a PP. And don't listen to this guy, a PP can still be helpful even on alky, race gas, or E85, but you need to determine if YOUR car needs one.

These engines are notorious for leaning the rear two cylinders. 27 years of trying to prolong life and produce better power have proven it. I have never heard of any issue with any other cylinders leaning out in stock form.

These engines are notorious for leaning the rear two cylinders. 27 years of trying to prolong life and produce better power have proven it. I have never heard of any issue with any other cylinders leaning out in stock form.

That's always what I thought, 5 & 6, but I read somewhere because of the fuel rail design that 1 & 2 can go lean too. I think it was Bison or someone else reputable, but I don't remember. Sorry to add to the dribble in this thread. 5 & 6 make the most sense to me though as air is crammed back there at a greater rate w/out PP, but that assumes all injectors flow and fire evenly.

Deffinately distributes the incoming air more evenly thru the cylinders. Im running stock intake, doghouse, tb with 009 injectors & a rjc plate for stock intake. gained 3 tenths & the timeslips dont lie.. Thats all im saying. We all have our own opinions buy hey it works for me JACK!!!!!

Old combo no gain (but a nice idle) Egr removed from intake.& Ported heads with Alky. Now. And a new tune. Gained 18hp on the dyno and 2ths in the 1/4 by removing plate guess it depends on the tune

I've been 105mph in the 1/8 with the plate and spraying dual nozzel alky. Boost was 22psi. If I turn it up I feel sure my mph will increase as well as my track time. Zero issues with the plate here.

As i mentioned earlier in this thread i use the power plate and i have GN1 aluminum heads,ported intake by Champion,dual nozzle alkycontrol,Maftpro SD setup,and 25% e85. I can run 20 lbs boost on 93 octane only.
Could you please provide more detail about your combo.I have an engine on the stand with ported GN1's, just want to run pump gas on the street but I think the Hemco was a better solution for air distribution than the PP.It has also been strongly suggested to me not to race with the PP on the car.