pros and cons for a stroker

gnsrule

I broke a crank and snapped of the front of the balancer on a motor I was trying to go 9.90 w on stock crank and rods. I've been looking at the crank kits out there and think I go w a gn1 crank rotating assy. Should I go w a stroker and gain the cubes or is there a down side ?

The stroker crank will most likely require some block clearancing.

The old theory was that increasing the amount of stroke would not allow the engine to rev as quickly, but would make up for it in increased torque production. Don't know how accurate that really is.

Seems like everybody is using stroker cranks these days. Go for it.

I broke a crank and snapped of the front of the balancer on a motor I was trying to go 9.90 w on stock crank and rods. I've been looking at the crank kits out there and think I go w a gn1 crank rotating assy. Should I go w a stroker and gain the cubes or is there a down side ?

You don't gain much with a stroker at all .. a lot depends on the heads you have as well .. the extra cubes is nothing a few more PSI can't make up for :)

You also need to spend extra $$$$ on your machining of your block to clearance the rods. you may want to ask your machinist on how much extra that would be.
I considered it before I built my motor, but I calculated it would cost me $2k more buildind a stroker versus stock stroke. I think you want to look at getting more rpms out of the stock stroke which will help with maximizing your matched turbo

The stroker crank can be slightly more expensive and the block and sometimes the rods will need to be clearanced. Some say its not worth it on a 109, not sure what truth there is to that. I have a 4.1 with a stoker crank. The torque is great and it still revs quick enough.

this would go in the 87 I'm restoring , just a street car for a bracket racer. I'm going to run the 52 turbo for the first get go then step into a 62 or 63. I need a lot of stuff and forgot the rest. Looking for some guidance.

this would go in the 87 I'm restoring , just a street car for a bracket racer. I'm going to run the 52 turbo for the first get go then step into a 62 or 63. I need a lot of stuff and forgot the rest. Looking for some guidance.

IF its for the 87 in your Sig .. your wasting your money on a stroker setup .. it won't do crap for you .. been down that rabbit hole .. very very little to gain if anything ( other than a lighter wallet )

I went with a stroker with my 109 block and I loved it I did increase the compression a hair according to Nick Micale stroker motors tend to like more rpm then stock stroke . Wildcats performance talked me into doing the stroker they said it would feel like a couple more pounds of boost compared to stock stroke
22621abefeef4487ad6f21eca292bbf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

If you do it right you can get a used stroker that is already done at half the cost it would be to build your own.

I picked up a stroked short block for 1,500 with only 4,000 miles on it. Steel crank and rods and center mains.

Roller cam and lifters front cover cam sensor and all acc, including AC and turbo saver.

Mine came with the build sheet with specs and clearances and all parts used.

I spent another 350.00 having it cleaned/checked and new cam bearings and a hone on it.

It's a standard bore SG block that was built by WEBER and I needed to fix one screw up that they made when they assembled it.

I know that's not the norm and I got a good deal but if you keep your eyes open you can find them out there.

It has been the best money spent on my car except for the Lonnie stage2 trans and custom converter.

I do consider it a better block than the 109 and the extra arm in it is a bonus even it's just a little one.

My cars don't have strokers in them yet, but I'm working on one.

I've tuned a few stroker motor cars recently and there was no mistaking that those motors had strokers in them. To me it was obvious. Couple it with some decent flowing heads and a larger turbine like a .85 A/R 66 and you got something that will work really well.

If all else equal the stroker should take less boost to make the same power as a stock stroke.