PTE 6262 Journal Bearing

Hope you enjoy your new 6262 but, can I ask why you feel the need to go to a 4" MAF? Lots of people going high 10s with a 3" setup. Are your goals faster than that? :smile:

I'm not running any MAF, with Turbo Tweak Speed Density chip, none is needed. I am going to run a 4" something though, pipe from RJC or a hose from the link above or a hose from a board member offered to me. Your right 3" dia is plenty of air to move, but I think a 4" to 3" reducer at the turbo will be a "uh oh, wtf is that" ... I don't want to look at it, I guess that's all that matters anyway.

Chuck

With that turbo I would be more concerned with boost control issues.

I know, read a lot of the guys not being able to control boost. But this turbo is used, already has the waste-gate hole ported/opened up, I have a external waste-gate on the car now, expecting to just bolt it up and go.

Chuck

I know, read a lot of the guys not being able to control boost. But this turbo is used, already has the waste-gate hole ported/opened up, I have a external waste-gate on the car now, expecting to just bolt it up and go.

Chuck

When you first drive it leave the actuator arm disconnected. Run the car up to the highest rpm you will ever run it and watch the boost. This will be the absolute minimum boost you will ever be able to make. I found with a 1" hole and about 2 turns past a slip fit with a hd actuator was consistently 26-28psi on the cars we've tried it on. 1.2" was required most of the time for low boost. It will spool very similar to your old 62. Likely a little faster if the old 62 had a precision ex housing and likely slower if the old 62 had a Garrett housing.

When you first drive it leave the actuator arm disconnected. Run the car up to the highest rpm you will ever run it and watch the boost. This will be the absolute minimum boost you will ever be able to make. I found with a 1" hole and about 2 turns past a slip fit with a hd actuator was consistently 26-28psi on the cars we've tried it on. 1.2" was required most of the time for low boost. It will spool very similar to your old 62. Likely a little faster if the old 62 had a precision ex housing and likely slower if the old 62 had a Garrett housing.

Thanks for the advice Bison, I have a external waste-gate with a manual valve under my dash. It's either fully open or fully closed now and the old school 62 still won't go under 22 lbs. Now the PTE-44 would go all the way down to 10lbs ?? It's been a while since I had that one one the car. As long as the Tial 38mm waste-gate can handle the extra air and the hole in the exhaust housing is big enough, should not be a issue. I've alway settled with 2nd best on the turbo department, can't wait to step up to the new technology ...... finally.

Chuck

He made the correct choice imo. The 10" would cause the spool to be a little lazy with the 65 and would never couple the potential of the 65 trim ex wheel. The 6262 can easily drive over the 10" also but he still has a little room before slip will be too high. With a 9.5" the car would definitely e.t. better and it could be made tighter for all around cruising while still spooling a 65 trim easily and coupling very effectively up top. A converter would be needed regardless to maximize either turbo. Once you have 10 sec power it's hard to couple under 5600 rpm with a 10".

Brian,
Would a Billet PTS 9x11 3200 LU react better than a 10" Converter.... never quite understood where the 9x11's fit, in regards to efficiency, compared to a 'true' 9-9.5" converter and a 10" convertor.
That being said, same car [with 9x11] would you still recommend a 62 exhaust wheel over the 65 wheel.

aaron

Brian,
Would a Billet PTS 9x11 3200 LU react better than a 10" Converter.... never quite understood where the 9x11's fit, in regards to efficiency, compared to a 'true' 9-9.5" converter and a 10" convertor.
That being said, same car [with 9x11] would you still recommend a 62 exhaust wheel over the 65 wheel.

aaron

3200@0psi is too much for a 6262, IMO. 26/2700 @ 0psi sounds about right will a 9/11. Some have spooled the 67 with 2800@0psi converter.

Joe

Thanks for the advice Bison, I have a external waste-gate with a manual valve under my dash. It's either fully open or fully closed now and the old school 62 still won't go under 22 lbs. Now the PTE-44 would go all the way down to 10lbs ?? It's been a while since I had that one one the car. As long as the Tial 38mm waste-gate can handle the extra air and the hole in the exhaust housing is big enough, should not be a issue. I've alway settled with 2nd best on the turbo department, can't wait to step up to the new technology ...... finally.

Chuck

Remove the spring from the wastegate and it's the same thing

Brian,

aaron
All the 9x11's I experienced slipped a lot unlocked. I picked up 17mph at 5900 rpm in the last car I did a swap in and it picked up a lot of peak and road horsepower vs. The 9x11. There is no lockup converter out there that will even come close to the efficiency of a properly built non lock up. It has never been close based on my experiences. I've seen about 20 converter swaps since last November. The cars that picked up the most road horsepower were ones that had lock up units that were switched to 9.5" ptc converters. Others were non lock ups that failed to couple effectively over 450whp. It's totally possible to go fast on a lockup but the couple rpm will likely be way over the peak power rpm. This translates into a lotbof wasted e.t. In the 330' and less than optimal mph unless the converter is locked.

3200@0psi is too much for a 6262, IMO. 26/2700 @ 0psi sounds about right will a 9/11. Some have spooled the 67 with 2800@0psi converter.

Joe
Not for a journal bearing turbo with a 10". If it was a 9.5 ptc it would be ok with 2800. Any car with a 6765 and a 2800 converter will spool like a turd on the street. If you want fast spool you need at least 3200 and a quality converter to spool a 65 trim ball bearing. Journal needs even more.

I have a 6262, Precision 3" uppipe, 4" maf hose and a Precision plenum with no spacer and my iac still clears without an angled boss. It's tight, but mine works fine. Can't really see it in the photo, but it works.

Hey Guys,
I like this set-up, it's not flashy, which I like and the price couldn't get any better. Dave was kind enough to offer me his excess material from when he went this route !!!!!!!
Thanks Dave !!!!!

Joe

Mine is a PTC 9.5" 2800@0psi L/U and spool up is immediate on the street with a billet 6765

Mine is a PTC 9.5" 2800@0psi L/U and spool up is immediate on the street with a billet 6765

Can you post a video of that? Do you have a stroker with higher than normal compression(9.0:1or more), or a tune that is leaned or using agressive timing down low to get it spooled? I had the 6765 on a 8.5:1, 235ci, with a 2800 9.5 PTC stall and it was a dog up to 10 psi.I should of had the 6262 instead. I was already doubtful that the 67 would make me happy so to choose a 6262 at the time was not an option. Lesson learned...LOL My spool up was pretty much identical to this vid. Yes the pedal was to the floor.:redface: Dont mind the title...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJGwK0Gc2eg[/YOUTUBE]

No video yet, boosted3 has been in the car and can back upy statement. I'll get some video up soon. Your link didn't work, compression is 8.5 to1 full roller set up blah blah the timing is aggressive down low, (i think 24) actually the tune is still very mild only making 15 psi and will smoke the mt's at a 30 mph roll... Cal will be here in two weeks to really see what the combo will do, I'll post video afterwards. My build is "motors finally done"'in the pix section. (and were at 5500 elevation!)

One thing I've noticed over the years is that word "Spool" means and feels like something unique to each driver.

I'd kill for that spool up Jasjamz on my Talon, literally pay hundreds to do that, but to you on that big turbo it was a Dog. Considering the size of the turbo, that's not bad IMO for a GN with low static compression. I've also noticed making the car fat down low helped spool up with Autos.

Code:
Mine is a PTC 9.5" 2800@0psi L/U
I think you mean N/L converter right?

I've also noticed making the car fat down low helped spool up with Autos.

Are you sure you dont mean leaning it out helped spool..... usually when you run rich the car acts like a hog and you lose a lot of power and drivability:confused:

On a relatively low CR 7.5:1 234ci engine with ok heads and 212/212 my 18 blade 9.5" spools and old dinosaur 7276 bb with .85 ex housing in about .5 to 15psi on the t brake. Stall @ 0 boost/vac is 3300. Car has an xfi and timing/af are tuned in for max spool. The 6176/Garrett .63 journal was slightly faster. The difference from a dead roll is very noticeable when a Garrett .63 is used instead of a precision housing even when it's a journal and it's considerably quicker but has little effect when launched off a t-brake. This is also true comparing journal to bb cartridge on the same turbo when launching off a t-brake. A bb is pretty much a waste of $ if the car is properly launched off a t brake. Once the engine rpm is high enough under load the turbo will spool very rapidly bb or not. For a 65 trim that rpm seems to be around 4500 with the throttle wide open. Once its at 4500 it goes at the speed if light the rest of the way. More ci and cr will drop that rpm even more.

No video yet, boosted3 has been in the car and can back upy statement. I'll get some video up soon. Your link didn't work, compression is 8.5 to1 full roller set up blah blah the timing is aggressive down low, (i think 24) actually the tune is still very mild only making 15 psi and will smoke the mt's at a 30 mph roll... Cal will be here in two weeks to really see what the combo will do, I'll post video afterwards. My build is "motors finally done"'in the pix section. (and were at 5500 elevation!)
24* is not aggressive for ramp in timing.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that word "Spool" means and feels like something unique to each driver.

I'd kill for that spool up Jasjamz on my Talon, literally pay hundreds to do that, but to you on that big turbo it was a Dog. Considering the size of the turbo, that's not bad IMO for a GN with low static compression. I've also noticed making the car fat down low helped spool up with Autos.

Code:
Mine is a PTC 9.5" 2800@0psi L/U
I think you mean N/L converter right?

No, I mean and meant L/U, it's a street car.

@ Bison I certainly could be wrong as I'm still a total rookie with the xfi and all we did was work around the base tune Cal put in and left it alone tip this spring. Now that one can actually drive a car other then a 4 wheel drive Cal is coming out to give me a tutural on the system and dial it in. At that point I can be more specific. What I do know is it spools very fast, the numbers don't lie and I will post em up asap.