PTE 6262 Journal Bearing

Mine is a PTC 9.5" 2800@0psi L/U and spool up is immediate on the street with a billet 6765

This must be a new item. All ptc 9.5" converters were not lock up converters tmk.

. This is also true comparing journal to bb cartridge on the same turbo when launching off a t-brake. A bb is pretty much a waste of $ if the car is properly launched off a t brake.

Makes sense.

From my experience, BB turbo's spool faster from 0-5psi. Just noting, from a roll of 5 -15mph on the street, WOT blast, my last newer tech. journal bearing turbo would NOT catch my current older tech. BB turbo due to slower spool up.

I understand your response however.

This must be a new item. All ptc 9.5" converters were not lock up converters tmk.

Bison,

I bought my PTC on 9/23/09, the reciept is calling it a PTC 95200 Protorque 9.5" lockup converter, set to 3200 stall. I really can't feel any more then maybe .5 second lag when I go WOT with this old school 62 on the car now.

Chuck

Bison,

I bought my PTC on 9/23/09, the reciept is calling it a PTC 95200 Protorque 9.5" lockup converter, set to 3200 stall. I really can't feel any more then maybe .5 second lag when I go WOT with this old school 62 on the car now.

Chuck

Protorque 3200 lock up if I am not mistaken? Just throwing it out there.

Protorque 3200 lock up if I am not mistaken? Just throwing it out there.

Yes, that's the same one I have in my GN. Not a bad converter IMHO. Works great with my old school journal bearing TE-62. Car runs better now that I switched to 28" tall tires.

Does your box look like this This is what is known as a "PTC"?

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 661
Bison,

Chuck
I am familiar with the Pro Torque 9.5" LU. Not bad units especially when use with 65 trim or smaller turbos. They need to be locked in high gear to get the best e.t.

I am familiar with the Pro Torque 9.5" LU. Not bad units especially when use with 65 trim or smaller turbos. They need to be locked in high gear to get the best e.t.

I know what you are saying, but I'll leave that on the table, afraid if I lock it, the lock-up feature won't last long... maybe after my boys are grown up and doing there own thing, I'll get a roll bar. But for now, car is more of a everyday driver (if the roads are dry) the boys love going to soccer games in it... the 10yr old is in a league.... Thanks for sharing your knowledge Brian/Bison, and everyone else.
I'll see if I can find the box my converter came in, and take a picture, thinking it came out of NY.

Chuck

I wish my 6157 spooled like that vid ,mine takes about 4 times that long.

I guess you have a few routes you could take, a restalled converter, a new converter, and/or cam and heads to up the air flow on the exhaust wheel... it's all in the combination of parts.
I almost forgot, 1st make sure you don't have a issue with your puck sealing the waste-gate hole in the exhaust side of the turbo, if it won't seal the boost won't build very fast because the exhaust flow/pressure is being diverted around the turbo exhaust wheel, and lost out the exhaust pipe. The other thing to look for is leaks/cracks in the headers/cross over pipe.
Good luck with your adventure if you decide to chase it down.

Chuck

i did check the puck already and it seems to seal fine.And i do have full control of the boost,it can be as low as 10 psi to 30+.I have checked for exhaust leaks and there isnt any.I have done a smoke test.My o2 readings tell me is not to rich on spoolup.The converter i have was made by a local converter guy and i think it maybe part or the problem,its a 3,200 stall but trying to get past 5-7 #s of boost takes alot of work,once past there it will climb real fast.I also wonder if my cam isnt helping me either,its a comp 212, with 459 lift.When i bought it i thought it was the 206 now i just noticed it isnt.It takes roughly 10 seconds or more for me to spoolup from 0 to 10#s.

Does your box look like this This is what is known as a "PTC"?

My box is obviously different, who has the real PTC? hmmm.... my box does say "Pro Torque" and yours "Performance Torque Converter".

Chuck

Attachments

• DSC03260.JPG
    DSC03260.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC03262.jpg
    DSC03262.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC03263.JPG
    DSC03263.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 527
that's the protorque 9.5,i used to use the 10.5 lockup on a ta49 and a 62/65,which is a great piece.i locked up the 10.5 reapeatedly and reliably at wot.there is not alot of surface area on that 9.5 so be carefull if your going to lock it.

On a relatively low CR 7.5:1 234ci engine with ok heads and 212/212 my 18 blade 9.5" spools and old dinosaur 7276 bb with .85 ex housing in about .5 to 15psi on the t brake. Stall @ 0 boost/vac is 3300. Car has an xfi and timing/af are tuned in for max spool.

That's a great example of how much the tune plays a roll in spool-up. On a stock ecm car that hasn't been tuned for spool-up, that combo would be a lazy fat pig:biggrin:

It is common for the PTC converters to be confused with Pro-Torque out of New York.

I have restalled several of the Pro-torque converters and they are nice pieces. They call theirs a 9.5", I call mine 10" but they will behave very similiar. There is only so much you can do with the lock-up based converters. They will always spool well if the combo is well matched to the converter and they will always begin to slip pretty bad once you reach the low 11 to high 10 second range. That's just the nature of them and being single disc it isn't recommended to lock them at WOT.

Now, they can also be built as a non lock 9.5 but the way they spool and couple will not change.

This is why I call mine the 10", to lessen the confusion when people talk lock-up and non lock. My 9.5 PTC non lock is not based on the same parts as the 9.5 lock-up's others sell and it behaves totally different.

That's a great example of how much the tune plays a roll in spool-up. On a stock ecm car that hasn't been tuned for spool-up, that combo would be a lazy fat pig:biggrin:

There is a lot to be gained with a chip car unless files were sent to the chip burner showing the ramp in. It still won't have the resolution the xfi has though. I noticed this right away when i first went to xfi. I've also seen where someone switches to a ball bearing cartridge and they neglect to look at the ramp in and it's way over on the left side of the map.

I guess you have a few routes you could take, a restalled converter, a new converter, and/or cam and heads to up the air flow on the exhaust wheel... it's all in the combination of parts.
I almost forgot, 1st make sure you don't have a issue with your puck sealing the waste-gate hole in the exhaust side of the turbo, if it won't seal the boost won't build very fast because the exhaust flow/pressure is being diverted around the turbo exhaust wheel, and lost out the exhaust pipe. The other thing to look for is leaks/cracks in the headers/cross over pipe.
Good luck with your adventure if you decide to chase it down.

Chuck

His best option IMO is to buy a powerlogger and make some data logs and have Eric burn a new chip.

It is common for the PTC converters to be confused with Pro-Torque out of New York.

I have restalled several of the Pro-torque converters and they are nice pieces. They call theirs a 9.5", I call mine 10" but they will behave very similiar. There is only so much you can do with the lock-up based converters. They will always spool well if the combo is well matched to the converter and they will always begin to slip pretty bad once you reach the low 11 to high 10 second range. That's just the nature of them and being single disc it isn't recommended to lock them at WOT.

Now, they can also be built as a non lock 9.5 but the way they spool and couple will not change.

This is why I call mine the 10", to lessen the confusion when people talk lock-up and non lock. My 9.5 PTC non lock is not based on the same parts as the 9.5 lock-up's others sell and it behaves totally different.

Thank you..... I was thinking that I had your converter Dusty...that pc was $800 or so, and no complaints. There are alot of us guys in the MAGNA club running it for dual purpose, street and strip. If and when I go all out, I will need 1st, a roll cage and 2nd a non lock converter and the tranny set-up for a non lock. Again thinking that this converter will be fine for 95% street and the occasional trip to the track..
By the way, a local gallon of premium is now $3.95/gal. ....I use the lock-up feature of the converter everyday.... does it save me money?? I would like to think it does... that's why I asked for a lock-up converter when the tranny got the "works" installed, billet this and that. $3k with the converter.

Chuck