PTE 6262 Journal Bearing

update

Billet 6262 journal bearing is installed along with a 50mm Tial BOV, installed a bung fore the IAC sensor before the alky nozzle.
And Eric's updated chip for the SD came in the mail....(a/f correction at idle and tip in stumble parameter).
Time for the 1st impressions....

Chuck

Attachments

• DSC03397.jpg
    DSC03397.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC03398.jpg
    DSC03398.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC03399.jpg
    DSC03399.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC03400.jpg
    DSC03400.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 484
First Impressions on the road...

First off was able to turn it down to 15lbs boost, also went up to 27lbs. and settled in at 25lbs. On the highway in drive (didn't try overdrive) doing 55 and punch it at 25lbs. breaks the M/T's Street radials loose. :cool:
On the side street at 35 and punch it, tires break loose, looks like I'm gonna have to ease into it....
The turbo has no lag that I can feel, I need to log a file to really see what's going on. So two thumbs up from over here... spool is great pulls like a mother on the highway, I'll check back after I get to the track, not sure when I'll get there... soon I hope!
Almost forgot, had to put a deflector in front of the alternator pulley to keep the 4" air duct out of it, works great, no angled IAC needed going this route and hose was long enough to put the new 4" K&N behind the front air dam, for some cool air. Glad I went with the RJC mega cooler when I bought my 1st aftermarket intercooler, it feels like there's alot more on the table as far as boost pressure goes. Also running a single nozzle on the alky system.

Chuck

Well you guys know way more than i ever will, but i love my 6262bb and my ptc 2800. It hits 23lbs of boost in about 10ft lol no bs. I got the turbo from cal at hartline and the tc from dusty and damn what a combo for st. Or track!!!!imo its the 1 of the best st combo's out there but im still a rookie with richard clark for a freind that lives only 1.5 hours away. Bison hit the nail on the head about the tc with the 6262 , its alot better with the bb trust me!!!!

Just got back from the track

I'm #315 in the right lane. Easy launch, will upload Power Logger if anyone wants to look at it. The newer fancy vette, (don't ask me which one it was, they all look the same to me)... got spanked pretty good.
My impression from the track is favorable, very happy with the turbo and combination of the car, SD chip from TT .
With the traffic, including Amish buggy's, about 2 hr drive each way, no trailer over here, yet....
More details, 27 lbs boost, shifted by itself in drive @ 6400 ish rpm, went through the traps @ 6000 rpm 275/60/15 m/t on the car. Thinking the tranny is shifting on the high side, might call the tranny tech and see what he says...
Here is the power logger file attached.

Chuck

Attachments

• DSC03533.jpg
    DSC03533.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 381
I'm #315 in the right lane. Easy launch, will upload Power Logger if anyone wants to look at it. The newer fancy vette, (don't ask me which one it was, they all look the same to me)... got spanked pretty good.
My impression from the track is favorable, very happy with the turbo and combination of the car, SD chip from TT .
With the traffic, including Amish buggy's, about 2 hr drive each way, no trailer over here, yet....
More details, 27 lbs boost, shifted by itself in drive @ 6400 ish rpm, went through the traps @ 6000 rpm 275/60/15 m/t on the car. Thinking the tranny is shifting on the high side, might call the tranny tech and see what he says...
Here is the power logger file attached.

Chuck
You are making a bunch of power there. That converter is killing you too. I just ran a nearly identical mph 2 weeks ago and the car never exceeded 5450 rpm the entire pass. I did have a taller tire though. Looks like your giving up a ton in slip. Post measured tire height/mph/rpm from your last frame of WOT. I'm thinking a converter swap would be worth at least 2.5mph in the eighth and over 4 in the quarter. You are proving that 6262 is a 130+mph turbo.

Assuming 3.42 gear and 27.3" tire(my mt 275/60-15 measured 27.3") your slip is about 11.5%. lots of room for gain there.

You are correct, 3:42 rear gears, looks like the next upgrade will be a call to Dusty for a converter, but for now I need to turn the boost down. I need to dial it in for 11.50 or a hair slower for the local MAGNA Points series races coming up this yr. Thanks for all your help Bison, you have the ability to see right to the core of what's going on, appreciate that. The rpm was right at 6000 as I let off the juice at the end of the track. I was happy with the mph gain from 1/8 mark... the converter was stalled at 2400 @ 0 boost acording to the log, I wasn't much higher then that when the lights started dropping.

Chuck

You are correct, 3:42 rear gears, looks like the next upgrade will be a call to Dusty for a converter, but for now I need to turn the boost down. I need to dial it in for 11.50 or a hair slower for the local MAGNA Points series races coming up this yr. Thanks for all your help Bison, you have the ability to see right to the core of what's going on, appreciate that. The rpm was right at 6000 as I let off the juice at the end of the track. I was happy with the mph gain from 1/8 mark... the converter was stalled at 2400 @ 0 boost acording to the log, I wasn't much higher then that when the lights started dropping.

Chuck

Your eighth to quarter pickup is high because you left with no boost. A hard launch will net you around 102mph in the eighth. Hard to analyze anything accurately since the converter slip is out of control. Youre actually way beyond the good part of the power band running over 5700rpm in that combo. Keep in mind a 9.5" will couple so well that your driveshaft speed vs engine speed will drop and the shift rpm will drop. If you get the Dusty spec converter which im very sure i know exactly which he would spec your slip will be around 3-4% and you will see huge e.t. improvement and mph gain. If your slip was measured where your engine should be shifted id bet its over 15%:eek:. Peak power is right around 5200 with that setup and thats where you want the engine to be most of the time.

Whoa, is this a stock built 109 shifting at 6400rpm consistently?
Do you know if the governor or valve body has been modified or is this all due to the torque converter being so loose?

OP here is what might happen after the 9.5" PTC install.
I was shifting about 5500rpm with the Precision and a modified Governor. Got the 9.5" PTC and since it's more efficient than the Precision it dropped to about 5200rpm. Then I had to get (well, wanted) the KC Valvebody to up the shift rpms from around 5200rpm to 6k now. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a 600rpm drop in the new 9.5" PTC going from 12% to 4% slip (rough estimates).

6000-6200k shifts sounds right... as long as he has the good spring right?

I had a journal 6262 with PTC 3200. Wayyy to loose. Great converter though.

"Congrats on the run!!"
Thanks jasjamz !

Trying to post the log up.... do I rename the file? Ok, have to zip it.

Attachments

• 11.17 run.dat.zip
    47.6 KB · Views: 96
Which WB?
Shifted at 6400 because of a flare on the 2/3 shift. Also it looks like the alky is hitting the car hard and causing the A/F ratio to drop into the 9's. May want to go into the alky box and soften the inital hit to keep it from droping so hard. This will help spool and the cars accelaration if you can keep traction. I do see a little knock on the big end in high gear. Are you using two nozzles or one? What is the alky set at?

Your eighth to quarter pickup is high because you left with no boost. A hard launch will net you around 102mph in the eighth. Hard to analyze anything accurately since the converter slip is out of control. Youre actually way beyond the good part of the power band running over 5700rpm in that combo. Keep in mind a 9.5" will couple so well that your driveshaft speed vs engine speed will drop and the shift rpm will drop. If you get the Dusty spec converter which im very sure i know exactly which he would spec your slip will be around 3-4% and you will see huge e.t. improvement and mph gain. If your slip was measured where your engine should be shifted id bet its over 15%:eek:. Peak power is right around 5200 with that setup and thats where you want the engine to be most of the time.

So this is what you refer to over powering the converter. I think I was pretty good until I bolted this turbo on. I understand what you are saying about the rpm, actually past the peak power area, extra rpm on the motor for no gain... same as having your foot pushing on the clutch pedal while driving down the track.
I would still have overdrive with the non lock up converter, wonder how it would feel on the street, I think you mentioned min loss on mpg that I'm seeing now. With the lock-up rpm drops from 2000 to 1500 cruising but it won't lock untill I'm above 50 mph on the back roads...

Chuck

Which WB?
Shifted at 6400 because of a flare on the 2/3 shift. Also it looks like the alky is hitting the car hard and causing the A/F ratio to drop into the 9's. May want to go into the alky box and soften the inital hit to keep it from droping so hard. This will help spool and the cars accelaration if you can keep traction. I do see a little knock on the big end in high gear. Are you using two nozzles or one? What is the alky set at?

I saw the flare on the 2/3 shift, don't tell me the tranny is on it's way out...
Alky is set at 6, ok in the alky box there are two knobs, will have to dig out the alky instructions, thanks. Running with one alky nozzle.

Chuck

So this is what you refer to over powering the converter. I think I was pretty good until I bolted this turbo on. I understand what you are saying about the rpm, actually past the peak power area, extra rpm on the motor for no gain... same as having your foot pushing on the clutch pedal while driving down the track.
I would still have overdrive with the non lock up converter, wonder how it would feel on the street, I think you mentioned min loss on mpg that I'm seeing now. With the lock-up rpm drops from 2000 to 1500 cruising but it won't lock untill I'm above 50 mph on the back roads...

Chuck

A ptc 9.5" will feel better than you Lu converter feels cruising around town. If you're keeping the 27.3" tire you could gain even more with 3.23 gears if you spring for the converter. You should be able to whittle it into the 10.30-10.40 range if you run good gas and run a taller tire and get a converter that will couple it. I can't see the log but if you're flaring 2-3 now it's going to get much worse with a converter and taller gearing.

I saw the flare on the 2/3 shift, don't tell me the tranny is on it's way out...
Alky is set at 6, ok in the alky box there are two knobs, will have to dig out the alky instructions, thanks. Running with one alky nozzle.

Chuck

Be careful in the box, a small adjustment goes a long way. May need to go to 6.5-7 to curb that high gear knock too. That could cause issues. I won't say anything about the tranny....:redface:
Strong running combo though!

... the converter was stalled at 2400 @ 0 boost acording to the log, Chuck

Good info for alot to see here. A lot of people think a 2800 stall at 0-1# of boost might be on the tight side....this proves my point that a 2800 is as loose as I would consider going with this turbo. Anything looser will just be sloppy.

Your running good mph for a lock-up based converter racing un-locked but it's because the converter only stalls at 2400 rpm. This low stall will help the slip and mph but won't 60' very well unless you have some great brakes or a trans brake and leave on alot of boost. If you were to restall that converter to 2800 to help the 60's you will loose some mph and slip will go up. I would bet it would 60' in the 1.60's and mph 124-125 so the et will improve but you will loose a little mph.

This is where the 9.5 and 10" lock-up based converters fall short of a good true non lock. I can put a 9.5 non lock in it that will stall 2800-3000 at 0-1# yet it will still slip under 6%. You get the launch of a 3000 stall and the mph of a 2000 stall. Your making great power. That turbo is an awesome piece and is as big as anyone needs unless they want to run 9's.