PTE 6262 Journal Bearing

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
Well guys after a long time of patiently waiting for a nice used turbo I finally have one on it's way http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/343428-billet-6262-journal-bearing.html . It's a less then yr old 6262 journal bearing billet with out the anti-surge, to go with my current motor. I've been reading all the threads, and leaned toward the 6262 over the 6265, because the car is 98% street car. (and I couldn't pass up this turbo) I'll post up my experiences with it as I install it, 1st impressions, 1st time at the track with it, etc. probably will be 2 weeks untill I get it, snail mail payment.
Wondering if I'll need the angled IAC with that 4" inlet of the turbo, I'll need to get a 4" pipe/K&N filter, running Turbo Tweak Speed Density chip so no mass air flow sensor to worry with. So what parts should I order awhile to support this turbo?

Chuck

Well guys after a long time of patiently waiting for a nice used turbo I finally have one on it's way http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/343428-billet-6262-journal-bearing.html . It's a less then yr old 6262 journal bearing billet with out the anti-surge, to go with my current motor. I've been reading all the threads, and leaned toward the 6262 over the 6265, because the car is 98% street car. (and I couldn't pass up this turbo) I'll post up my experiences with it as I install it, 1st impressions, 1st time at the track with it, etc. probably will be 2 weeks untill I get it, snail mail payment.
Wondering if I'll need the angled IAC with that 4" inlet of the turbo, I'll need to get a 4" pipe/K&N filter, running Turbo Tweak Speed Density chip so no mass air flow sensor to worry with. So what parts should I order awhile to support this turbo?

Chuck

RJCRacing The leaders in Buick Performance and Innovation

4" inlet on Turbo

I'm considering a 4" inlet on my next turbo, does this require a spacer on the plenum to accomodate my 3.5" maf pipe fitting under a 3" intercooler up pipe used on my Precision SLIC?

If so, 1/2" , 1" plenum spacer?

Would appreciate any feedback if you've run a 4" inlet on your turbo.

Not speaking from experience here but I've somewhere read on here that you don't need the spacer if running stock headers. But the angle boss is a must!
Edit: just noticed you mentioned 3" up, you certainly will be close.

Thanks Glen, here is what RJC has to say about there 4" pipe.

"We designed each pipe to clear the alternator pivot bolt, upper radiator hose, IAC plug and the up/inlet pipe. We also made these pipes extra long so they can be Tailor cut to your exact desired length. These pipes are shaped different than any other pipe on the market and you won't find a pipe that fits any better or is higher quality"

Jason has a ton of good stuff comming out of his shop... thanks for the link !

Chuck

Thanks Glen, here is what RJC has to say about there 4" pipe.

"We designed each pipe to clear the alternator pivot bolt, upper radiator hose, IAC plug and the up/inlet pipe. We also made these pipes extra long so they can be Tailor cut to your exact desired length. These pipes are shaped different than any other pipe on the market and you won't find a pipe that fits any better or is higher quality"

Jason has a ton of good stuff comming out of his shop... thanks for the link !

Chuck

Yeah it fit like a glove on my car. Trimmed it on the band saw at work for an exact fit. The polish job on it was top notch too.

For what it's worth, for those asking... no spacer needed on my car. I did need the IAC angle boss though. This is with a PTE plenum that angles the up pipe up a bit. :cool:

Yeah it fit like a glove on my car. Trimmed it on the band saw at work for an exact fit. The polish job on it was top notch too.

For what it's worth, for those asking... no spacer needed on my car. I did need the IAC angle boss though. This is with a PTE plenum that angles the up pipe up a bit. :cool:

So you did need the IAC angled boss.... hmm Jason is claiming that it will clear... I might as well start pricing them. Got a 4" filter on the way...
For some dumb reason (stealth look) when I plumbed in the alky kit to RJC front mount I put the nozzle underneath the pipe just before the throttle body, that's going to be in the way.... I'll have to figure out a way to seal that hole off after I move the nozzle... hate to buy a new pipe from Jason. I'm all ears for any ideas/comments.

Chuck

So you did need the IAC angled boss.... hmm Jason is claiming that it will clear... I might as well start pricing them. Got a 4" filter on the way...

Chuck

Come to think of it I'm not 100% sure. I know I needed it on my old car with a very similar 4" pipe Full Throttle used to sell. My newest car already had the angle boss on it.

Come to think of it I'm not 100% sure. I know I needed it on my old car with a very similar 4" pipe Full Throttle used to sell. My newest car already had the angle boss on it.

Well I'll just wait and see what it looks like..... of course with SD who needs a pipe at all...... well that wouldn't be to smart with a new turbo.. but I bet it would sound wicked at WOT.

Chuck

Well I'll just wait and see what it looks like..... of course with SD who needs a pipe at all...... well that wouldn't be to smart with a new turbo.. but I bet it would sound wicked at WOT.

Chuck

I run the Translator Pro in SD and with the 4" tube and filter it is pretty loud when spooling up.

I have a 6262, Precision 3" uppipe, 4" maf hose and a Precision plenum with no spacer and my iac still clears without an angled boss. It's tight, but mine works fine. Can't really see it in the photo, but it works.

Attachments

• downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,225
I have a 6262, Precision 3" uppipe, 4" maf hose and a Precision plenum with no spacer and my iac still clears without an angled boss. It's tight, but mine works fine. Can't really see it in the photo, but it works.

That'll work, thanks for the link and picture, I'll do a search for "T" clamps and I should be all set if I go this route, I'm guessing you got a short pc of 4" to fit at the end of the hose and air filter so you had something to clamp it together with.
I'll have to think about it, definitely less expensive. Under the hood I've always been all business and no bling bling so I probably will go this direction, some of my friends wouldn't dare have a engine bay like mine... I never did get the whole polished look in the engine compartment.
So I see you have the BB6262, are you happy with it? I have a 3200 PTC lock-up converter, but I don't lock at the track. Your BB will spool quicker then the journal bearing, but the performance on the top end should be similar I'm thinking. By the way I also have a 38mm Tial external on my downpipe (Hye Tech Performance out of CA) so I don't think boost creep will be a issue.

Chuck

Hope you enjoy your new 6262 but, can I ask why you feel the need to go to a 4" MAF? Lots of people going high 10s with a 3" setup. Are your goals faster than that? :smile:

I have a question, from your research, why did you decide with the 6262 over the 6265 for mainly street use?

I have a question, from your research, why did you decide with the 6262 over the 6265 for mainly street use?
He made the correct choice imo. The 10" would cause the spool to be a little lazy with the 65 and would never couple the potential of the 65 trim ex wheel. The 6262 can easily drive over the 10" also but he still has a little room before slip will be too high. With a 9.5" the car would definitely e.t. better and it could be made tighter for all around cruising while still spooling a 65 trim easily and coupling very effectively up top. A converter would be needed regardless to maximize either turbo. Once you have 10 sec power it's hard to couple under 5600 rpm with a 10".

He made the correct choice imo. The 10" would cause the spool to be a little lazy with the 65 and would never couple the potential of the 65 trim ex wheel. The 6262 can easily drive over the 10" also but he still has a little room before slip will be too high. With a 9.5" the car would definitely e.t. better and it could be made tighter for all around cruising while still spooling a 65 trim easily and coupling very effectively up top. A converter would be needed regardless to maximize either turbo. Once you have 10 sec power it's hard to couple under 5600 rpm with a 10".

Thanks Bison, your reply and expertise is always appreciated!