PTE Super Stock Location Arrived!!

Originally posted by shawnz
Also i cant mount my smc alky bottle on the fan as the intercooler neck is huge
good info to know!

those that have it installed, does it hang down any lower than the stocker?? my car sits pretty low with the eibachs (about 3.75" of clearance between the IC scoop and the ground). ive already taken out one scoop stradling a dead possom in the road :rolleyes:

I jumped aboard and have one of these on the way. Anymore install updates from those of you who have received it already? Little things you've encountered that we may need to know during the install?

Come on people. Mine arrived earlier this week and install will begin in a few days. Anyone finished?, any pics?, any advice?, anything at all. This thread has been too quiet.

Got mine today. Planned on installing tomorrow. However, it did not come with instructions. Did yours come with instructions? If so, could anyone send me them?

Thanks

Zac

I installed mine,
Problems I encountered: Fan on lower pulley is close/ almost touching intercooler. The top screw with spacer used on the bracket wouldn't go in all the way with spacer on the inside, so spacer is on the outside. I think if I try to put the spacer back on the inside it may give the intercooler better clearance from the fan. Top radiator hose is smooshed between intercooler up-pipe, and 3.5" maf pipe, may have to re-route it to the inside.

Should I keep the scoop wide open or make some sort of screen for it?

Finished.

Took about two hours.

Install was not that hard.

I took some pics. I will post the pics and some tips when I get a chance. (when the kids go to sleep :D )

I partially installed today. It made sense when i put all the pieces in place (no instructions). However, the IC is right up against the passenger side frame brace. I think I will have to drill the bracket a little to shift it over. There is enough clearance between the frame braces, so removal of the braces is not necessary.

Zac

Those who are installing or have finished.

On what side of the bracket is the spacer on your top bolt?

The nut that was originally holding the stock bracket on, did you take it off or leave it on and then add the bigger spacer??

I think if I put that nut back on then add the spacer the intercooler will have more clearance from the fan on the bottom pulley.

Demon, I left the nut off and just used the spacer. It seems that all our cars are different. I have good clearance from the fan. However, I am resting against the passenger side frame brace. The factory drivers side brace just wont let it shift over enough. Going to have to remove the passenger frame brace. I read a post by Mease that the frame brace can be bent by any muffler shop? I see it as the only way on my car. Going back out to work some more.

Zac

Be very careful where you drive as i bent my new shroud on a gravel driveway .My car is also lowered.I am going to relocate the charcoal canister and put the alky bottle there .Just have to get steve at smc to make me a longer hose

Here are my pics:
http://www.sftbc.com/intercooler/new intercooler.htm

Our cars are different.

Regarinding the passenger side bolts:

The upper bolt, that was in the water pump, comes out, and the replacement bolt goes in. The spacer goes on the engine side of the intercooler bracket. A LOT of water comes out, so have a bucket ready.

The lower bolt is metric on the engine side, and american on the outside. The long spacer goes on the american side, on the outside.

I thought that I had plenty of intercooler fan clearance.

My passenger side "jounce" bar or frame brace would have fit, but I was affraid it would cause false knock or some unneccesary tweaking of the intercooler, so I left it off for now. I plan on having it bent and putting it back on later.

It helps to have a lift!!! (Thanks Jeff!)

Took intercooler out and added nut and two washers to lower bracket bolt before the long spacer, and switched the top spacer to the inside of bracket. Intercooler clearance from fan on lower pulley is a whole lot better.

I used my father-in-laws acetylene torch and heated the frame brace right were it touched the intercooler. Stuck it in a vice and gave a small bend. I had to grind out just a little portion of the hole that the rear bolt goes through. It gave me a ton of clearance. It went so well that I did the drivers side also. If you have access to a torch, it is an easy fix.

I did not get to run the car hard as my alky line is too short. Looks like I am going to have to mount my bottle behind the passenger side headlight.

Zac

Kewl.

Good idea.

Did you see "biker build off" on the discovery channel last night? They were doing the same thing.

Regarding the intercooler, I thought I would be making "more" boost. Since the intercooler is so much more less restrictive, I thought my boost would go up a pound or two. But it seems to be about the same. I will have to test some more.

One thing I did notice, is that the turbo seems to spool a lot quicker.

:D

Just received my PTE stock mount intercooler today, & I have to say it looks very nice. I am having trouble getting the nut off the stud on the stock intercooler ps bracket. I was able to remove the first nut but now I can't get the second nut off. Does it come off? What is the stud attached to? To the inside of the oil pan? The bracket is loose and I can rotate it, but the nut is still holding it on.

hmmm lets see not to knock anybody off this PTE intercooler but the thunderfabs is 22rows pte is only 18 rows, thunderfabs is $670.oo, to the whooping $795.oo from pte, i think i will take thunderfabs anytime, i get about 6 more rows for less money. :).