Richard Clark / Enigne Build

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
First and foremost I would like to thank Richard for his hospitality and generosity for having us at his place for 4 days doing this engine build. It was the best learning experience one could ever have and I will never forget that..

After purchasing this car back in 2008 I have never done anything to the engine. It ran great so I left it alone and just drove the car. Well recently it developed a slight noise so it was time to pull it and see just what was causing this slight noise..... We tore it down and the bearings were shot! So I called Richard Clark and he said to bring it up to his place and we will build it together so the following week or so we headed over to Richard Clark's place to build new life into this engine...

There Richard, Myself and my good friend Gary Tarwater began the build process of:

Line Honing the block
Ball honing the cylinders slightly
Clean block & crank in Hot tank
Balancing the rotating assembly (As Richard say's "To NASCAR specs") Yes it was that nice!
Blueprinting the engine
Blueprinting the Oil Pump
File fit the rings to each cylinder
Install new cam bearings
Freeze plugs
Tested several sets of new valve springs to find the best set for this build
Assemble the engine

All this and back home in only 4 day's!!!!

Everything, and I mean everything of this build process was documented an written down on several blueprint forms supplied by Richard. The best part of this is the fact that I had my own hands on this build and know everything about it....

Here are some pictures of the build....

The block is now on Richards flimsy little stand! LOL
Engine build 002.jpg

Parts all set out on the table
Engine build 003.jpg

JE Pistons / Carillo Rods / L19 ARP Rod bolts
Engine build 004.jpg

Richard Installing the Bob weights on my crank... I should say, showing me how to install them!
Engine build 005.jpg

Rotating Assembly ready for balancing.... ( balanced within 1 gram )
Engine build 006.jpg

Ready for the ride home!
Engine build 031.jpg

Scot W.

Cool Scot..... wish i was closer... maybe i should move east.... u guys have all the fun

Mr. Clark has got the be the most generous and kind man I have ever met... I just can't enough about the man... Great to hear Scot!

That engine stand looks marginal at best. LOL.

How cool to be able to work alongside one of the Masters.

~JM~

The cam is now in and the heads were taken to our local machine shop for a valve job and a hot bath.....

The valve covers, intake, plenum, exhaust manifolds, and many other parts are at the blaster then off for paint... I can't wait to get this thing back onto the road again... I will post up progress as I go along............

After looking at everything I do have 1 question Scott. Why didn't you clean the crank casting up some for better oil control?

I was a little familiar with that motor before Scott got the car. It had aftermarket rods and pistons but weren't sure of the brands. What are they?

I was a little familiar with that motor before Scott got the car. It had aftermarket rods and pistons but weren't sure of the brands. What are they?
Richard say's he is pretty sure they are Carrillo rods and said those rods take the L19 ARP rod bolts. He also said they were for a 1,500 hp engine and they cost $1,000 + when new!! Complete Over kill for my set up!! lol.... There was no stamping on them to indicate what brand they really are but he said he just done a set not long ago that were Carrillo rods and they too had the L19 ARP rod bolts and the rods looked the same.... He also indicated that these are a "Forged" rod where as the rods like the K1's are not..

The ARP L19 rod bolts are a super premium rod bolt and this type of rod bolt requires a torque of 95-100 ft lbs :eek: How we know is because Richard used his stretch gauge to find out the proper torque of the bolts by how far they stretched and he came up with 95-100 ft lbs that would correctly stretch the bolts... :)

The pistons are JE .....

glad to hear you didn't damage any internals Scott. you will be good for a few more years of beating the snot out of that thing.

Those rods are amazing! I went over to Scot's after he brought it home and in looking at the rods you absolutely cannot see the parting lines at the caps!! :eek:

Rich is a fine man and a true asset to us all. Congrats on the build.

After breaking down the heads to have them gone through and a valve job done, come to find out it had Stainless Steel valves! :)