RJC powerplate by Hyper

Hyper

Well,

I have just purchased a RJC power plate for my buick. You all know I am one of the ones that questioned it. Let me tell you about my back ground for a secound. I am 37 years old and I have been Drag Racing since I was 14 years old. I have owned and drove a 1993 Dodge Daytona Prostocker. I have raced a 64 plymouth and I have won a championship with it. I have owned My GN since 1988. I have been racing it since 1988. I have built many race engines and I have been around all types of racing. Now with that said, the reason I bought the RJC power plate is so I can do a few test with it. I have heard about how great it works and what numbers everyone has gained with it. I have discussed this with the "spokesman" for the Power plate(turbo sam) and I have covered every point on it. I am going to do some back to back test in the near future on this and I will post results. If it works like "they" say it does I will eat dirt and keep it on the car, But if it doesn't then I will post that also. I really hope it helps as my car runs 11:50's with a TE60 turbo, a Cartect front mount intercooler, 009's. If I can get 11:40's out of it then we have a great product out there. I hope this works good and I hope that it is not a gimmick. I will try it at the same boost and then I will turn up the boost 2 lbs to try it. I run 23 lbs of boost now without any problem so I guess I can go to 25 with the plate. If anyone has any real track time test out there please post it. I need input and real data. If you just want to put in a plug for it go ahead I am open for anything. I have had fun with the debate over this item and It has been fun but it is time to really test it, No leaf blowers, just real cars on real tracks! So if anyone has real data please post it so we can share this info with everyone.

thanks from a "new" Power Plate owner!! :D

Originally posted by Hyper
No leaf blowers, just real cars on real tracks! So if anyone has real data please post it so we can share this info with everyone.

Well hopefully Dave Bamford (top gun) will chime in cause from what I heard he has before and after 6 channel EGT recordings from his Racepak that show how the power plate evened his EGTs out to within 50 degrees.... That is a real car on a real track and also there are several other TSM racers (Jason Cramer obviously being one of them) using it and that says something to me!

Originally posted by Hyper
Well,

I have had fun with the debate over this item and It has been fun but it is time to really test it, No leaf blowers, just real cars on real tracks! So if anyone has real data please post it so we can share this info with everyone.

thanks from a "new" Power Plate owner!! :D

I hope it works out for you as it has for a large percentage of buyers. It was not developed with a leaf blower but, on a high velocity test bench with full measurement facilities. The leaf blower was taken to the Nats as a display device only.

It has been proven on the dyno and on the track as numerous posts have stated. Real world results did not satisfy the experts who decided that other factors could influence performance. They raised a cry for a six probe egt test stating that this would be the only true measure. Dave Bamford, who does things right, performed the test and indicated that it did even out the egts as noted above. Dave is a TSM competitor and used it to run at the head of the class with Jason and Roy.

Your efforts will only validate it to yourself, or discredit it to yourself. Real world and theoretical results have already proven the plate to many others. And, let's face it, when it comes to you, and your car, yours is the only opinion that counts. :)

For it to do anything, your car will have to be tuned well and in good operating order all the way around as the devices allows one to get closer to the edge with some degree of safety.

Thanks for making a nice post and I hope it goes well for you as it has for many others. :)

I have a comment on the power plate.

I have ti installed on my car and most of the driving I do is on the street with a few trips to the track. That being said, when I installed it I also changed the plugs (NGK TR5's) and about 3 months and 1500 miles later I checked them all. What I noticed was all the pass side plugs were nice and coco brown but the drivers side were rather white (Lean) compared to the others.

I am not saying this has anything to do with the powerplate, but I never noticed this before installing the power plate. Wondering if anybody else has had the same thing happen?

Re: Re: RJC powerplate by Hyper

Originally posted by 86brick
Well hopefully Dave Bamford (top gun) will chime in cause from what I heard he has before and after 6 channel EGT recordings from his Racepak that show how the power plate evened his EGTs out to within 50 degrees.... That is a real car on a real track and also there are several other TSM racers (Jason Cramer obviously being one of them) using it and that says something to me!

The test Dave Did does mean alott to me, I have used EGT's and I know how they work, If Dave got good reading's from the EGT's with the power plate then it must work. I am always very happy when something comes out for these cars that work and help make us faster and safer. I would also like to thank Jason for his work and for putting up with me in my many questions about this plate. I know I seem very negitive about it at first and instead of him dogging me out about it he just replied and tried to explain it to me. Some people would have just told me off, But Jason did not. He is a true Buick lover and a good person. I only wish Mopar people was as nice and helpful as buick folks....hehe I even like talking to old "turbosam" he is a handful and a very strong person...

Waiting on the mail and the power plate...thanks to the Buick Fans everywhere!!

Here are the before and after egt readings with the Precision plenum and a RJC plate. The egt probes are located in the header aprox. one inch from the mounting flange.

(without plate) (with plate)

(1 1702) (1 1660)
(3 1688) (3 1640)
(5 1759) (5 1647)
(2 1736) (2 1704)
(4 1744) (4 1707)
(6 1802) (6 1682)

These readings are taken at the end of the 1/4 mile pass on a motor with 9.5 CR, 24 degrees timing, 27 boost, 11.5 a/f.
The 1/4 times didn't pick up or fall off by adding the plate, as you can see it evens out the air lowering temps.

I was one of the critics when I first saw it until Brian Scott (turbobuick) gave me his to try out at Norwalk now I am sold on it.

I heard all of the 9 sec. and low 10 sec. tsm cars were using the plate at BG this year, all were taken home with head gaskets intact.

Dave Bamford

Originally posted by top gun
Here are the before and after egt readings with the Precision plenum and a RJC plate. The egt probes are located in the header aprox. one inch from the mounting flange.

(without plate) (with plate)

(1 1702) (1 1660)
(3 1688) (3 1640)
(5 1759) (5 1647)
(2 1736) (2 1704)
(4 1744) (4 1707)
(6 1802) (6 1682)

These readings are taken at the end of the 1/4 mile pass on a motor with 9.5 CR, 24 degrees timing, 27 boost, 11.5 a/f.
The 1/4 times didn't pick up or fall off by adding the plate, as you can see it evens out the air lowering temps.

I was one of the critics when I first saw it until Brian Scott (turbobuick) gave me his to try out at Norwalk now I am sold on it.

I heard all of the 9 sec. and low 10 sec. tsm cars were using the plate at BG this year, all were taken home with head gaskets intact.

Dave Bamford

....... And with what has been said above by Dave I think we should put the power plate debate to a rest!!! Bottom line is it does work and it has been proven by real world test results such as the one Dave did at the BG Nats.... Now we need to show these results to those "gurus" who say it can't/doesn't work because they are wrong! Thanks for sharing your results Dave:) :cool:

I find it interesting that the "left bank" of cylinders (2.4.6) reads hotter than the right

in looking at my plugs, I see the same thing.....the left bank is running leaner

(i have a pp and stock plenum...well, 62 mm JJ special)

it would be nice if left & right were the same....although I see that side is hotter before pp....

Jason?

Dave, I assume you are running aluminum heads? I thought someone posted that you were. I am amazed at the temps but I guess the aluminum allows that?

Thanks for publishing the numbers. :)

Two things....

1. I'm hypothesizing that the temperature difference between the two engine banks has something to do with the crossover plumbing for the exhaust (I do not intend to test the hypothesis however ;) )

2. Don't overlook the obvious benefits for a daily driver in terms of extended engine life using a power plate :)

my two cents :cool:

yeah, that would be the obvious thing, but ASSume the probes were right at the cyl......could still be all that hot gas from the other side gets into the header tube?

maybe we need a flapper valve........:D

or...maybe that crossover should be around the front of the motor??

hmmmm

That's right! I forgot about the Y blocks....and he could use the aftermarket external valve train oiler to put a little oil upstairs, too! :)

Those old 292's was bad about not getting oil to the top!
Steve we are showing our age here!:D

Did someone say 292 Y block? Lets see there is a tri-power intake for one of those around here somewhere.....