RJC powerplate by Hyper

Steve, all my flatheads had duals.....didn't need no stinkin' crossover and shiny Edelbrock heads(decked), and a pair of........what the hell were those carbs? 51 Merc...4 door

Stromberg 97s!

You had the dual conversion that looped from the front and went backwards? Did you have a pair of Edlebrock aluminum heads?

I went from a pair of deuces on a flathead (think the Mercs had a bit more cubic inches, something like 251?) to a '56 olds in a '49 Ford with three strombergs on top of the Olds. Scariest car I have ever driven in my life.

Now I read about Dick Landy and his flat heads that put out one heck of lot more hp than we dreamed of in those days.

David, that intake is probably worth some bucks today.

We knew a rich kid with a '57 T-Bird that was always crying because it was not very fast. We talked his Dad into buying an Isky cam and two fours....That was a 312 and it really flew after that.

The heads to find (if possible) for a flathead would be the ArDun units. :eek:

Was the Olds engine by chance a J2?

(Uhhh, my granpappy told me a lot about "those days":) )

Yep Stromberg's......yeah, the pipe looped up front and came back.....the heads I had were alum all right....I think they were Edelbrock but my brain is, shall we say fuzzy? there were a few folks that made 'em in those days

I remember head gaskets were a problem (where is this water coming from?)

it made a lot of noise, and ran like sh!t, but in '59, it was hot spit!

3 sp o-drive on the column.....had a big t-handle for od......

No, it was not a J2 by origin. It came out of a '39 Ford that had won A gas in one of the nationals in '56 as I recall. Had a Isky solid cam, the three Strombergs, etc. One of my friend's Dad was a boat racer and had bought the car. It got wrecked and someway after some trading, I ended up with the engine. We put a three speed hd tranny out of a '62 lightweight Pontiac behind the engine, cut the firewall out of the .49 Ford and dropped it in. It was so nose heavy that it was terrifying to try to get stopped at anything over 60 mph if you did not have much room. You could set the points from under the dash...seat was notched to make room for the shifter.

I wish I had it now. :)

The J2s were big heavy dawgs but they ran pretty darn well. They ran a lot better in something lighter, tho. The Olds were bad until the sbc chevies hit the road. The olds were over head valves back in '49. I think the Cads were as well. Chevy changed the world in '55 and brought hotrodding to the masses once again.

I only saw a few of the Ardun headed engines....pretty darn cool, tho.

There were some really innovative guys that did a lot with a very little by today's standards....I guess after the war those guys came back from the war and were ready to have some fun. :)

old parts

now yer talkin!
I still got a 59A block, its 3/8 X 3/8= 296 cu in, its got 4 stomberg 97's on a Fenton intake, Fenton alum heads, Jahn's cast pistons,
Moon cam, its ported and relieved, ( duh? whats that?) Fenton headers, (cast ) I don't remember what kinda ignition. been sitting in the garage for at least 30 years, all oiled down and wrapped up, nuthin to put it in, YET!
just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
ahhhh the memories!!

Thanks
cruzn57

Time for a retro rod! That stuff is really rare and it's nice to know that some of the stuff still exists. :) You would be the hit of any street rod show with that. At least with the older generation. :D

old parts

almost sold it cheap, about 15 yrs ago, ( couple hundred bucks)
but good sense took ahold, heck I still got an aluminum head 427 chevy bagged away ( L-88 I think it was), some corvette junk, had a bunch of older corvettes, even one of them there cosworth Vegas, 69k miles! guess thats why the new truck sits outside.
Thanks for the memories!
cruzn57

When Jason presented his original numbers on various plenums, with and without the PP, he did so as a percentage deviation from average.

I just took Dave's egts with the PTE plenum and computed them in the same method of deviation from average.

cyl egt dev% flow dev%

1 -1 -3
3 -2 -3
5 -2 +2
2 +2 +2
4 +2 +2
6 +1 -2

All numbers rounded to the closest percent

Would seem to indicate to me that Jason's test criteria of using measured flow to be fairly sound. What is unknown is any variation of flow by individual injectors at the line, but, I think that would be picking more gnats. :)

Does RJC make a PP thicker than 1/8in?? I would like to try the PP but also need some sort of spacer due to clearance issues. I need at least a 1/2in. Any sugg's??

Thanx - scott wile

Scott, the thickness is reportedly one of the design elements so that is the thickness. :)

Gene, I am pretty sure that Dave has his injectors flowed. But what they flowed yesterday on the bench may be slightly different from what they flow after a few runs with boost pushing back on them. As air is 11.5 times the fuel delivery, I thought it might be a bit much to expect the fuel variation to have much affect-unless one is running with older injectors, etc.

Be interesting to flow a set and then install them, make a few passes, and then reflow them on the same bench, and then another just to see the repeatability and the effect of the individual benches.

Sometimes, we may push theory past the point of practical application? I don't know. :)

Scott Wile

Hey Scott,tell Dennis hi for me!
Sorry I haven't been by the house,
Thanks
Lee

Wow, I have not been keeping up with all of the discusion here on the net lately.

As far as a thicker plate for clearance reasons, all of my plates are 1/8" thick. If you need more room under the T.B. then use the precision plenum, it is 5/8" taller, flows better and distributes the air the most even. This is what most of us run.

I do not make a power plate for the Mease upper plenum. It would not be worth spending that amount of time R&Ding a plate for a half dozzen people.

One thing that Dave did not mention just looking at his numbers, without the plate the egt's vary in range all the way through the run. After the plate all of the cylinders are tightly bunched and the range is the same throught the run. Just food for thought. I am working on getting these charts converted so we can all read them without the data logger software. I'll let you know it is very interesting.

about the pass side (even bank being leaner) this side has most of the heat concentrated in this area, it is closest to the restriction (turbo) and the feed line for the fuel rail is on the dr side (odd bank). These and probably a bunch of other factors contribute to the slight increase in EGT. The EGT being slightly higher does not necessarily mean that these cylinders are running leaner or recieving more amounts of air.

Spark plug colour

I just changed my plugs and noticed that the #4 and #6 plugs are a little more cocoa coloured than the rest. I have had the power plate in for a year and the plugs are about 2 years old.