Seriously on the fence about selling my GN

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. I've had it since '98 and have literally rebuilt it frame up. The problem is that these things are so damn finicky. There is always something that I want to nit pick over on it that keeps distracting me from other things. My father-son project is suffering, and my Grandfather's '59 LeSabre just sits there because there is always something going on with this car. Anyone else get to this point? Not sure what to do here. I have a feeling I want more for it than anyone would offer. Hmmmmmm.......
As a fairly new tb owner I'm just going through the same thing. Had my power master go and all the oil leaks you could imagine plus my stock rear fillers just disintegrated. I'm also not paying attention to other projects bc the GN. How ever we actually fixed the leaks and its getting converted to vacuum brakes this week. I'm going to wait and see how I feel once I get it back. The new stuff is pretty cool we have a turbo ss camaro drove it to Detroit for Woodward and Canada 3 times and got 24 mpgs so i understand the temptation there. however my ss has had her share of issues the IRS can a be pain In the ass. Plus getting my turbo tuned right but these are things I caused bc I can't keep my hands off stuff. Love the new stuff but there's nothing as sinister looking as a GN. How would you feel with out it ? GNs at least by me are going up in price and getting harder to find that aren't rats at least. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Well, I will still keep it and try to enjoy it. Just get frustrated sometimes and throwing a cover on it and walking away does not fix things. All I want to do is drive it. What pissed me off recently is that my power window switch went out and my hydroboost got a seal leak all in the same day. Right after I put on new tires.

So, I'll ask for fun. What do y'all think my car is worth in this market? See my build thread for specifics.

Cliff notes:
Frame off resto. All new body bushings, mounts, suspension, brakes, SPC springs, Bilstein shocks, 11" rotors and dual piston calipers, hydroboost, low miles on rebuilt trans, rebuilt motor in sig, interior redone with NOS4GN parts, 2 year old paint by Heath Elmer - PPG Jet Black, 4 coats base, 4 coats clear.

Life is short. If you feel "it's time" then maybe it's time. I'm in a similar predicament. Nothing is wrong with my GN but recently I've had a yearning to own a white T so my GN may need to go if I can find a buyer..

Well, I will still keep it and try to enjoy it. Just get frustrated sometimes and throwing a cover on it and walking away does not fix things. All I want to do is drive it. What pissed me off recently is that my power window switch went out and my hydroboost got a seal leak all in the same day. Right after I put on new tires.

So, I'll ask for fun. What do y'all think my car is worth in this market? See my build thread for specifics.
Just from what you posted Id say it's at the top of the market (whatever that is in your area ) for a GN no doubt. I totally understand the feeling my cars been down for 3 weeks.

And that being said like 626 said life is short if there's something else you want don't hold back go get it. Maybe time for a new adventure. I was a sentimental weirdo about selling my tbss was the original owner but the ls2 issues drove me nuts. Sold it and got a slammed notched c1500 thought I'd regret it but I'm very happy. Getting to experience another car I always wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, sounds like we have both been through the same thing with these cars. I had no business even purchasing one of these let alone buying one to put back on the road. I have a lot more into my car than what someone would pay for it. It's still going to cost me money in the future because I'm still not happy with it. WIndow seals suck shit and regulators are ok at best. Didn't get my driver side door lined up good enough and I'm too chicken to mess with it in fear of scratching the subpar paint. Headliner cloth doesn't match. Everything rattles in the doors. Rear glass is shot. Spent 1800 on the trans last year and that was just parts and converter. Pretty sure the rear end needs bearings but I've just been turning up the stereo. I'll find my thread that has yet to have a conclusion. Surprised it hasn't been made a sticky since it practically documents an entire car blown apart and put back together.

The power window switch is an easy fix. FOR THE LOVE OF DOG DON'T MIX UP THE WIRES! New switches may also help speed the windows up. If you feel like you want to change the motors you can buy new delcos of egay or amazon for 25 shipped. Very common motor. Another note, either find a good used one or a delco. The ones in the help section aren't worth the plastic their made from. Mine had a short so I took it back.

There are rebuild kits for the hydroboost, well seal kits anyway. They're about 35 bucks. I believe there is a thread about it in the BREAKS section if you do a search. If you can't find it let me know and I will help search for it.

I'm more excited about my 455 car than I am about the we4. Maybe later down the road I might give the we4 the treatment it should have gotten that I couldn't afford to do but until then I'm gonna rock it as is and slowly collect parts for it so when that day comes I can make it the vision I had for it when I got it home.

So the window issue was no big deal. I did get the better switches. What happened was the backing on the connector to the drivers side switch came loose and the power wire came loose from there.

Now here is why I have become so disenchanted with this hobby. I see that the rear seal is leaking on the Hydroboost. It is a PITA, but I get the thing out and apart. Honestly that particular seal is on a rod that is a major pain to get apart and I don't want to just order up some generic seal kit hoping that it has the correct seal. So I call around to get a replacement Hydroboost. As you all know, everything now is A1 Cardone. I hate this brand with a passion. This company is the single reason I sold my '90 CRX. It was such a great car until Honda stopped making parts for it. All the A1 Cardone parts kept breaking in 1 year or less and that was my only option unless I wanted to spend more than what the car was worth on NOS parts. So back to my story. Napa is the cheapest. I call them and they tell me that they cannot get them anymore. I call O'Reilly. Same story. I call Autozone. Special order, but they can have it in 2 days. They tell me that they can price match Napa. I go it and I get the Manager. This guy fumbles around for 5 minutes trying to find the part before I have to help him. He would not let me just give him the damn part number. I ask him to price match and he tells me I need to prove it. Fine, here is the price printed out. Same part number even. Then he goes on about how I didn't print Napa's warranty policy and he can't price match unless I prove that. The phone won't bring it up on the mobile site. Even trying to request the desktop site won't work. Damnit! He refuses to use their computers to find it. I walk out all pissed off, go home, print it, come back. The manager had left, so I deal with another guy. Turns out this was a waste of time because they can't price match special order parts anyway!!!!!!!! If this next one goes out my only option is to go Hydratech,

I'll get the part hopefully in a couple days and get the car back together. Then hopefully I can find time to use my book I got from Kirbans to eliminate some of the wind noise. Then I need to replace the speedo cable. I may do a custom dash though.

But this is what sucks. The hobby has been ruined for those of us who wrench on our own cars and have a limited budget. Most of us can't go out and do a full DSE or Ridetech suspension, Baer brakes, crate motor, top of the line radiator, all custom accessories, and have a brand new turn key hot rod, but these days that seems to be the only way to have something reliable.

Hopefully this aggression will pass, but honestly this is not my first rodeo dealing with this. Everything started going to shit in the parts market about 7 or 8 years ago IMO.

The hobby has been ruined for those of us who wrench on our own cars and have a limited budget.
this is why guys need to stop trying to go faster and faster as power affects everything throughout the car at a certain point.these cars can be fun and not break a lot of parts up to a certain power level.due to the age of the car things will wear out and must be replaced,this cant be fought but the speed bug rocks a lot of guys right out of the cars.

BuickMike: you sound stressed out! Listen to me. Relax. All of us here that own these cars know that they are a royal PITA. I've had a few of them and I'm down to 2. It's never as simple as wipe the car down and go to a cruise. There's always something. I recall going to a cruise night/show with some buddies. We drove around for hours. Went home, parked the car in the garage, and the next day she wouldn't start. I spent a long time between work and other obligations trying to find the issue.

I took out the starter and benched it. It was fine. Put it back in and it wouldn't work. Made no sense but I swapped it and then it was fine. Once the car was running I discovered a flat tire. Once that was fixed I discovered that one of the lights had gone out, and so on and so on... These days it actually worries me if the car is running too well with no issues... LOL (BTW, maybe lose the hydroboost? and just drop in a basic vacuum set-up. I have had no issues with mine and they're cheap)

With the amount of time and money you have into the car, you will NEVER get back what you put into it. Most of us won't unless the market really picks up (looks like it might be lately- check out the prices on ebay). Anyway, I know it's frustrating but, I'm starting to think most cars are. (decided to swap trans fluid and filter in my truck last week and one of the pan bolts snapped- now I have to extract it and re-tap the hole). Nothing is ever easy.

BTW, we started calling our local Napa parts store NASA because it was apparently run by a bunch of rocket scientists (NOT) It's getting harder and harder to find people who actually know what they're doing at local parts stores.

Hope things turn around for you.

I've had my issues with oreilly's and cardone shit. I sent them back their own f*cking booster that didn't work and they told me it wasn't rebuildable. THen the manager told me to get fucked. I hope they don't screw your booster up. If they do it will be a paperweight. At least you will get new seals with it.

this is why guys need to stop trying to go faster and faster as power affects everything throughout the car at a certain point.these cars can be fun and not break a lot of parts up to a certain power level.due to the age of the car things will wear out and must be replaced,this cant be fought but the speed bug rocks a lot of guys right out of the cars.

No it isn't because of putting power to them and breaking parts. It's because of the other parts that aren't affected by it we end up getting bent over on. Tensioners, AC compressors, front covers, 1000 dollar roller camshaft kits, interior bezels, headlight bezels and grilles, 500 bucks for used hoods, 800 for a fuckin hood pad, 250 dollar cam sensors. THe list goes on and on.

Let's not forget all the poor bastards that get duped into buying a coil and module setup for 200 bucks.

Mike, if you end up having trouble with cardone and your hydroboost send me a pm and lmk. I don't want to see a guy sell his car over something like that. I battled with brakes for almost 2 years before I finally sold all the powermaster crap, gave away the junk cardone booster and master cylinder, and got a used setup from the junkyard. Still works and doesn't leak a drop.

Thanks usetaboost. You know exactly what I'm talking about. My issue is not with scope creep on a project car. My issue is with the crappy parts store stuff, the never ending leaks in the seals, etc. I should get the replacement hydroboost tomorrow and we will see how it works out.

Was going to put my 455 old rocket Mondello big block in my Buick grand national but stuck to it and this site and got it going pretty good now hang in there for a little more .

It helps to step away from them sometimes. Yeah I could keep dumping money into it to have the car I always wanted but dsmmit life is too short to be messing with that shit all the time. Even though I started another car I stayed the hell away from getting another turbo car and am having fun building my 455 regal. Not gonna be the nicest or fastest car but it will look decent and since I don't care if its perfect or not I'm just throwing on whatever shit I got lying around to complete it. Got twice as much into the motor than what I paid for the car. Picked up a hydroboost for 20 bucks, old steering wheel I had, crusty turbo hood, busted header panel and pitted bumpers. Fun throwing together a car that no one can price gouge you over.

You got it. That's how I used to go about it. Back then I always wanted the nicer cars. Now it is too much work. I really like the whole "clear over the patina" way of thinking. Spend the money on good suspension and brakes instead. Here is the 4 door Skylark I had when I was young. I miss that car:

IMG_20150422_175126545_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150422_175807770_HDR.jpg
Hell yeah! Here's a pic of the beater project I'm throwing together. My daughter says she wants it when she's old enough to drive so I'm still sticking to a budget but waiting for the better deals on parts. So far its been 50/50 on that. Can't win em all.

Very cool. A buddy of mine had a 455 Regal. It started life as a Diesel Regal. He dropped a junk yard '70 455 in it. It sat great with those Diesel springs. He said it was a pretty easy swap actually. He had a BRF 200-4R and a 8.5" 3:42 posi that he threw in too. He claimed 21-22mpg from LA to Vegas and it ran low 13's. This guy was a wizard with tuning 455's in term of timing curve and especially the Q jet. He loved using the '71 455 Q jet since it was 830cfm.

Last edited: