STEP BY STEP ENGINE REBUILD!

gn_steve

boosted canadian
Hi there guys and gals

Heres my idea!
Since i purchased my car at the end of summer it has a funny noise in the engine only under load on neutral you can rev it no problem no noise! So i have to take the engine out and open it up to see whats going on! At the same time i will detail engine bay and fix some busted stuff

I was thinking that i would put step by step pictures of what i am doin from how to take the engine out to the tebuild to how to put it back in and in doing that if the guys on here with more experience can give there input or sugestions or even tips and for the newbies would be a great way to get to know there turbo buick a bit better!

So here we go this is what i am starting with and what i have done until now!

Heres the car 1987 regal t-type
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386038981.168051.jpg

This is 3 photos of complete engine
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039014.217406.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039044.383672.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039064.433870.jpg

Intake pipe maf and filter off
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039113.900340.jpg

Up pipe off
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039202.634084.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Alternator and tensioner off
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039265.032972.jpg

Found some carnage to tensioner
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386039296.467074.jpg

So thats it for tonight i did not have much time to work on it today but since i am new to the turbo buick world i taged every connector with tape to remember where all of the go
Good tip for someone with low memory as myself lol

More to come let me know if you guys think this is a good idea!

So I'll go out on a limb and say you probably are due for some motor mounts judging by the broken tensioner ear.
I will never run those hold down straps for this reason.

So I'll go out on a limb and say you probably are due for some motor mounts judging by the broken tensioner ear.
I will never run those hold down straps for this reason.
Well dont know yet about the motor mounts but i would love to get rid of that strap and if i am not mistaken rjc makes a bracket that stops the engine from twisting by using the frame??
have you checked for a cracked flywheel?
I am not at that point yet but i hope thats it!

Well dont know yet about the motor mounts but i would love to get rid of that strap and if i am not mistaken rjc makes a bracket that stops the engine from twisting by using the frame??

So they say.
I have not tried one yet.

But good stable motor mounts are a danged good start to eliminate that strap.

And I've always looked at it and though it couldn't be placed at a worse place to really stress the living bejesus out of things.
I mean - it's hanging off a 3/8" bolt and a 1/4" piece of metal and trying to hold down the entire engine - from the front, on a weird vector.
But people swear by them and keep using them.

Or a guy named Rod.
Either one! :D

You didn't just pull the pan and filter first to see if there was - "anything"
Or try unplugging spark plug wires to isolate cylinders? For possible bearing knock?

I mean nothin' wrong with a nice winter motor pulling project - but..just wondering.

I wonder if that broken casting was the noise you were chasing.

Good catch Earl.
Could be
Under load - the strap holds the motor - some sort of bizarre grinding going on there in the non mating surface - etc etc

The harmonics change off idle. There's many rattles on these cars that only happen at a narrow band. When the engine gets loaded and the RPMs smooth out, I could see where the tentioner would dance less.

Well i checked puled the strap off and whent around the block and noise still there!

Yeah but ...."the noise"
You must mean a deep down noise..like in a crankcase area noise then.
You know - you could grab a tensioner for little money - try it just to see before you went whole hog.
Unless you have your heart set on cleaning all that oil from your under body n such. :D

Yeah but ...."the noise"
You must mean a deep down noise..like in a crankcase area noise then.
You know - you could grab a tensioner for little money - try it just to see before you went whole hog.
Unless you have your heart set on cleaning all that oil from your under body n such.

I dunno - I'm with Earl.
I had a twitchy tensioner and it made alot of stuff happen - even some false knock.

No its realy internal sounds like piston slap but not sure and even if there was nothing wrong with this engine i would have still opend it up cause i know nothing about this motor dont know what pistons are in it what cam whats been done plus it leaks oil from everywhere so i will fix that! And clean the frame and engine bay!

Well i checked puled the strap off and whent around the block and noise still there!

LOL - you mean after you removed some of that stuff - you put it back on and took it for a spin?
Since the strap was on in your pics I'm assuming yes.
Try a new tensioner this weekend then.
Worst that can happen is you use it on your rebuild.

No its realy internal sounds like piston slap but not sure and even if there was nothing wrong with this engine i would have still opend it up cause i know nothing about this motor dont know what pistons are in it what cam whats been done plus it leaks oil from everywhere so i will fix that! And clean the frame and engine bay!

Ahhh...you're much more inquisitive than I am...and you clearly have more energy than me! :D
Well - good luck with the rebuild.

LOL - you mean after you removed some of that stuff - you put it back on and took it for a spin?
Since the strap was on in your pics I'm assuming yes.
Try a new tensioner this weekend then.
Worst that can happen is you use it on your rebuild.
Well i would do that but theres 20 inches of snow so i will try it next year!

Alternator and tensioner off
View attachment 208307
Found some carnage to tensioner
View attachment 208308

So thats it for tonight i did not have much time to work on it today but since i am new to the turbo buick world i taged every connector with tape to remember where all of the go
Good tip for someone with low memory as myself lol

More to come let me know if you guys think this is a good idea!

I think it's a great idea. Can't wait for the rest of the show.....

Well i would do that but theres 20 inches of snow so i will try it next year!

Blah - A good case to be made for global warming.
It looked so pretty in your picture - I figured you were in Costa Rica.

All I know is that body ground strap is one helluva ground strap!
Was that the thickest strap they had?
:D