STEP BY STEP ENGINE REBUILD!

Well here we go day 2 some progress
I started by taking out the electric fan then the intercooler then proceeded to take out the turbo

Heres the electric fan coming out!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386209840.221587.jpg

Heres the intercooler coming out!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386209864.321408.jpg

More space to work now!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386209942.105496.jpg

Heres some intercooler fan carnage
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386209957.121418.jpg

Then the turbo came out but not with out a fight she was a bitch to take out!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210030.271664.jpg

Heres the engine without the turbo
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210108.921561.jpg

As a biginner i taged all electrical connectors to know exactly where they go back!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210174.154972.jpg

So thats tonight progress more to come!

Lets play a game what is this turbo??? Can anybody identify it?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210287.704984.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210301.304879.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210312.105012.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210331.471885.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210343.506241.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386210359.489184.jpg

Let me know what you guys and gals think this turbo is??

This is something that I think will help the newer owners. Kudos for taking the time to document what you are doing...

This is something that I think will help the newer owners. Kudos for taking the time to document what you are doing...
Well thats was my hole idea and at the same time the guys with more experience can give us some input or tips ! Thank for your comment and i will keep posting photo by photo !

Typically if you don't want to disturb the AC you can leave it hooked up. Just remove the two wire harnesses and unbolt it. Move it over to the driver side enough to clear the motor. Engine will be easier to take out If you take the starter off. Don't forget about the ground wires hooked to the back of the Passangerside head.

You might find it easier to pull the intake off in one big chunk. Plus, the odds on losing small fastners into the either are lessened if you're tearing it down on a workbench.

Is this a good turbo can this turbo push me in the tens?

If you run it all out on a good hook then yes, but otherwise you'll need something bigger. I'd keep it though if you're not building the motor up with better internals. TA49's and TE44's are fast and reliable on stockish builds.

pull the starter off and you could probably yank motor and trans in 1 shot. i would of left the turbo on until the motor was pulled no sense in leaning over the fender more than needed. be super careful with you power steering pump because you dont want the hassle of trying to track down a replacement reservior..

pull enough stuff off in in order to get the ac compressor off tp the side
unhook the fuel lines down by the driver side frame rail
unhook throttle cable and tv cable and leave the bracket on the intake
take starter off
unhook all elictrical connections and sensors
motor mount bolts
yank drive shaft
the bracket that has 4 13mm bolts where we put our driveshaft loop
undo speedo cable
shift cable
reverse lock out rod
tranny mount
tranny crossmember

another good idea i liked bison gave me is run a chain over the top of everything and use the center bolts on the exhaust manifolds you will just need to use 2 nuts the stud part is plenty strong enough

i have pulled many engines and even put a couple back in. just trying to be helpful

another good idea i liked bison gave me is run a chain over the top of everything and use the center bolts on the exhaust manifolds you will just need to use 2 nuts the stud part is plenty strong enough

Can this method be used with the transmission connected?

D

What gives you an indication their is a problem with the engine! No noise at Idle or reving!! You could be doing all this for nothing Dude!!
Just a thought..:)

What gives you an indication their is a problem with the engine! No noise at Idle or reving!! You could be doing all this for nothing Dude!!
Just a thought..:)
Well i tried everything tensioner torque turbo and noise there at 3000+ rpm under load but even if engine was good i would tear it apart cause i dont know whats in it! Plus its leaking oil from everywhere!! Plus i want to detail engine and engine bay!

pull the starter off and you could probably yank motor and trans in 1 shot. i would of left the turbo on until the motor was pulled no sense in leaning over the fender more than needed. be super careful with you power steering pump because you dont want the hassle of trying to track down a replacement reservior..

pull enough stuff off in in order to get the ac compressor off tp the side
unhook the fuel lines down by the driver side frame rail
unhook throttle cable and tv cable and leave the bracket on the intake
take starter off
unhook all elictrical connections and sensors
motor mount bolts
yank drive shaft
the bracket that has 4 13mm bolts where we put our driveshaft loop
undo speedo cable
shift cable
reverse lock out rod
tranny mount
tranny crossmember

i have pulled many engines and even put a couple back in. just trying to be helpful

Tranny lines disconnected ? Or completely removed ?

Thanks for the details, best to get this advice in advance and avoid unnecessary work or damage!

You need to at least disconnect tranny lines from the radiator and if they are bolted to the frame. But yes motor and tranny can be yanked or installed in 1 piece. Like I said starter will definately need to be off especially if its the original full size starter I have never attempted yanking 1 with a mini starter because all the cars I have gotten never had 1. Crossover may or may not need to come off. I believe it can stay on tho. When you install or yank its kinda of a 2 person job because someone will need to lift the tail of the tranny over the header panel and the other guy will need to push the hoist in or pull out depending if installing or yanking