STEP BY STEP ENGINE REBUILD!

Listen to James! I never pulled a motor before and I followed his advice; engine and tranny all-in-one. :)

photo.JPG

So they say.
I have not tried one yet.

But good stable motor mounts are a danged good start to eliminate that strap.

And I've always looked at it and though it couldn't be placed at a worse place to really stress the living bejesus out of things.
I mean - it's hanging off a 3/8" bolt and a 1/4" piece of metal and trying to hold down the entire engine - from the front, on a weird vector.
But people swear by them and keep using them.
I like the rjc motor brace compared to the strap, the strap is def not too healthy for stresses and things

Well got lots done when i say lits its means not much work but i think i found the source of my noise at over 3000 rpm i can take the front crank pulley and move it front and back almost a 1/4 inch so i guess i need a new crank??

Heres what i have done untill now!

Took a/c compressor and a/c bracket off
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386469265.230698.jpg

No more a/c bracket and compressor
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386469308.527728.jpg

I think i need a new intercooler fan!!!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386469336.697072.jpg

So guys let me know if you think my crank is shot?

Now i hit my first snag in taken stuff out can anybody tell me how to take this fuc...... Thing out i dont see anymore bolts!!!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386469464.696185.jpg

From another angle!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386469484.012556.jpg

So before i torch it off lol can anybody inlight me???

No idea how that thing is affixed. It's some sort of aftermarket alum underdrive pulley.

It's covering the bolts that hold the hub to the balancer. And I can't see where the fasteners are that would hold the pulley to the hub. If it helps you figure it out, the hub has 6 threaded holes radially to attach a stock pulley. I'd have to imagine the unit you have uses those holes somehow.

If you're crank truly moves in and out 1/4" it's most likely shot. :(

Thanks earl

What i am thinking for that pulley is that it has a litle cover in the middle that i have to take off! So i will try that tomorow!

Had the same one on my car
Smack it with a rubber mallet it pop's rite off

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I believe thrust is .008-.012... my old engine had .060. The thrust bearing was shot. Along with the crank. I didnt have any noise associated with it. No knock...
The missing fan blade would cause a vibration and maybe even a noise at rpm.
So you found 2 problems... both need fixed... not sure which one is the actual noise.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Your Block could be damaged too.

Sent from my LG-P705g using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

If the groove is too deep, it is not repairable.

Sent from my LG-P705g using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Sometimes it's just the thrust bearing... Most of the time it's the thrust bearing and the crank's thrust surface.

Sometimes it's just the thrust bearing... Most of the time it's the thrust bearing and the crank's thrust surface.
X2 --When you open it up, you'll probably see a copper colored thrust surface and a bad thrust face on the crank.That's how mine was.

When it goes past the Bearing, the other Main Weds get the hit and the Block is beyond repair. So I was told by the Machine shop once.
You will know when you get there.

Ok well i will cross my fingers for it to be just crank and bearing!

How much will a crank cost me are there better cranks i am not building a race car just a nice street car i can bring my family in and sometimes drag race it low 11 would be enough for me!

What would you sugest! Are the cranks from any 3.8 the same?

By the way i got that pulley off finaly it was a bitch to take off! But shes off pics will be in tomorow!

Stay tuned!