The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Concerning posted trunk ID label above that is misaligned....

I have seen that before.....

It reminds me of the jacking directions also on the trunk lid.....probably 40% of them have major bubbles in them because of the way they were affixed. This label obviousily was done when the ribbon or ink jet was recently replaced as everything is very crisp (dark)....

Something jumped when the label was imprinted....quality control is not the same as printing money....put another way, the mis alignment would not affect me buying the car as long as everything else checked out to match a true 900 mile car.

Same token I have seen the two labels by the AC/Heater box overlapped crooked etc....

While its true companies have reproduced these labels I don't believe its the case here because if it was a repro they would have made every effort to make it perfect.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Contest #74

kirban 2 cents worth

This is the last contest we will be conducting under this post. This post has enjoyed a terrific run over the summer. We will be starting a new thread under turbo lounge next week. It will be a little different than the one I ran under this thread. I will probably call it kirbans-Korner. Most of it will be car related involve contests, and tidbits of info, and we will throw out questions as well.

So, to end this thread with a bang, it is a 3-parter requiring 5 correct answers in the same post to be a $100 prize winner.

Prize value stands at $100.

Open to any and all who played or not played in the past.

You must nail all the correct answers I seek in the SAME POST.

Here is the first part:

In the early 1900s, when automobiles was in its infancy a certain invention came about that one particular GM car embaced first.

Name the invention and the person responsible for the invention.

That requires TWO CORRECT ANSWERS

Next:

Unscramble the 15 letters below. Your answer will be two words that
will help you with the first part of the question above.

R L S C T T A A C D R E L I A

Totally unrelated to the above is a photo. Simply provide the correct year and car make. (Not the model just the make)

So, this last contest under this thread requires a total of five correct answers to be a $100 prize winner.

As the saying goes the clock is ticking.

Good luck players

Watch for new thread next week!

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Attachments

• 011 (Medium).jpg
    011 (Medium).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 239
OK, here goes.

Invention = Electric Starter
Person = Charles Kettering
Scramble = CADILLAC
STARTER
Car #11 = 1959 Chrysler Newport

kirban 2 cents worth

You nailed everything....send pm with your address etc...

Will give more details tonite on the self starter.....etc...

Good seeing you as well as several others at Raceway Park that have participated in my summer long contests.....

Sometime next week my new thread will start up in time for fall & winter and be more generic but mostly automotive related.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

this thread has had a great run and been fun......

Here are some interesting facts about the Starter Motor

The Starter was invented by Charles Kettering at the urging of Henry Leland. Kettering was working at the Dayton Electrical Labs Company (DELCO)

Before starting Delco Kettering had worked at NCR (National Cash Register) and had replaced the hand crank on the cash register with an electric motor. It was this principle (overloadng an electric motor for short periods to provide a lot of torque) that was used in the starting motor.

Henry Leland started Cadillac from the remants of an old failed company that had been started by Henry Ford years before.

Henry Leland and Billy Durant (then GMs President) had a falling out over WWI and Leland left.

Henry Leland starts the Lincoln Motor Company named after his favorite president.

Henry Ford buys Lincoln and forces Leland out due to jealousy over the Cadillac success.

The early days of Detroit were a real soap opera, with the same players orchestarting deals arising from jealousy and greed.

kirban 2 cents worth

No doubt, early automotive history was an interesting time especially when you consider how many marques got started and only lasted a few years and how related inventions etc helped with the progress of the automotive industry. I often think what companies like myself would be making if we were still in the horse and buggy ages.

I was told by one of my Cadillac companies we sell zddplus to that just prior to the self starter a gentleman cranked a car for a woman and it broke his arm. While in the hospital, infection set in, and he ended up dying. A freakious set of circumstances for sure, but you can imagine what an impact the self starter had back in the early days 1912-1913.

As this thread closes out I trust it has been fun and informative for those that viewed it and participated. My new thread will be along a similar format.

I greatly appreciate the help several of you have done regarding my lack of skills posting photos. Computers, are not my strong suit.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not sure how much we awarded in prizes but it had to be several thousand dollars.

Dennis you are correct, it was the incident of the man breaking his arm and later dying that set in motion the electric starter. The man, a fellow auto exec, was a friend of Henry Leland. It was Leland's insistence to Charles Kettering to find a better way to start the automobile that led to the electric starter.

kirban 2 cents worth

It ran its course.......and summer came along and like many of the readers of this thread everyone got busy.

I have been meaning to start a new thread entitled Kirbans-Korner and field different questions obviousily turbo related and other ideas but been very busy with our business. Plus next weekend I am in Florida at Garlits big Mopar deal with Richard Clark and Paul Castle.

Hopefully I will have a new thread started later this month as others have inquired also.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Have to bring this thread back,

Anyone know what the RPO code (on the trunk sticker) "ZR6" is?

My 86 T-Type has this option, and i have absolutely no idea what it is.

It's a two tone paint car but the paint color seperation was on the lower body line and is seperated by a stripe that ran over the wheel wells. Unlike WH1's where the color seperated on the upper body line. There was also a huge sticker on the bottom of the door that said "TURBO" that looked horrible! Car is dark chesnut on top and black on bottom.

Would really like to know what the ZR6 code is.

Thank's

Have to bring this thread back,

Anyone know what the RPO code (on the trunk sticker) "ZR6" is?

My 86 T-Type has this option, and i have absolutely no idea what it is.

It's a two tone paint car but the paint color seperation was on the lower body line and is seperated by a stripe that ran over the wheel wells. Unlike WH1's where the color seperated on the upper body line. There was also a huge sticker on the bottom of the door that said "TURBO" that looked horrible! Car is dark chesnut on top and black on bottom.

Would really like to know what the ZR6 code is.

Thank's

my 87 gn also has the zr6 code, its one of 3 that i couldnt find any information on.

buickbert

rpo codes 84 wh1

hey guys and gals

My newly aqquired Wh1 t-type has a laundry list of codes! it has 98 codes. The best i can tell the only option this car didn't get was the C-68 touch climate control

is it the most posted here?

hey guys and gals

My newly aqquired Wh1 t-type has a laundry list of codes! it has 98 codes. The best i can tell the only option this car didn't get was the C-68 touch climate control

is it the most posted here?

If not your darn close at 98 as I know no one hit triple digits....my personal car is at the other end of the spectrum wit one of the lowest...

What is interesting about your 1984 compared to your 1987 is the 1984 codes run left to rite and the 1987 go down each column...as does the 1986 and I believe the 1985 (going by memory).....I cover some of this in my weekly inner circle.

I am not sure what your car is missing that would get you to 100 codes....engine block heater perhaps? Not seeing your label while I type this twil lite sentinal?
Painted pinstrips? Are 3 minor options that come to mind....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Plus being a 1984 chances are slim and none of ever seeing another one at any event like yours...

If not your darn close at 98 as I know no one hit triple digits....my personal car is at the other end of the spectrum wit one of the lowest...

What is interesting about your 1984 compared to your 1987 is the 1984 codes run left to rite and the 1987 go down each column...as does the 1986 and I believe the 1985 (going by memory).....I cover some of this in my weekly inner circle.

I am not sure what your car is missing that would get you to 100 codes....engine block heater perhaps? Not seeing your label while I type this twil lite sentinal?
Painted pinstrips? Are 3 minor options that come to mind....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Plus being a 1984 chances are slim and none of ever seeing another one at any event like yours...

well dennis

i think the other 2 options would be a block heater/digital dash and body side moldings.

but i don't think body side moldings came on the WH1's . I may be wrong on this.

one thing i did notice on this car is there is a plastic insert around the coat hooks to help protect the headliner. one other thing too is that the rear package tray is not carpeted.

well dennis

i think the other 2 options would be a block heater/digital dash and body side moldings.

but i don't think body side moldings came on the WH1's . I may be wrong on this.

one thing i did notice on this car is there is a plastic insert around the coat hooks to help protect the headliner. one other thing too is that the rear package tray is not carpeted.

I am by no means an expert on the 1984 and 1985 models however after having disassembled a few.....I can see various differences from the 1985 even and probably inconsistencies on the 1984 models.

Again especially on the T-Types since very few were made. Package shelf was like a cardboard....which gets brittle....but I can't say for sure if all 1984s were like that.

A 1984 dealer album would state what options you could get or not get and if any changes where made to that listing a bulletin would have been printed stating not offered with such and such..

Plus keep in mind all those codes does not refer to options ut to what was used in the car which springs front and rear 3 codes for example refer to the rear one for gear size, one for posi, one for gear ratio etc.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

again at 98 that is a strong number....

original owner from canada

geez, i ordered my 87gn new and thought i got all the options including the rare astro roof. ive only got 87.
dang Americans got first dibs on these and i had to wait 5 months before mine came in may 87. i think 1595 were shipped to canada. i could have done a better paint job. must have got the guy on a friday afternoon.
Sheldon

Attachments

• DSCN0695.jpg
    DSCN0695.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 299
86 WH1 92 Option codes MSRP $ 18,992.00

92 option codes including T-Top and Power Driver seat, every chime in the catalog I presume because I used to hear a muffled "dying" chime, barely audible with the key out nothing on in the car. Of course it was a drain on the battery, I never figured it out, and just deal with it.

I noticed "J47" on some stickers what is that code and is it only on 87's?

Attachments

• SPID2.jpg
    SPID2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 221