Thinking of pulling the trigger on 2012 wrx..thoughts?

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman

Attachments

• bx 001.JPG
    bx 001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 225
offer em 24k on the unit and walk they will take the offer.play hardball with em they aint selling sh.t they need to move units.

Right now im driving my 92 chevy z71. Its got a new crate motor and trans. Its in perfect running condtion , but the gas mileage aint the best. I'll keep it for sure.The buick is track duty with very occasional street use. But i ve got the itch to get a nice daily driver and have sum fun with it.

On the way home from work yesterday I saw a new v8 mustang and a wrx go from a light, the wrx got out of the hole damn quick.....mustang started to catch him quite a ways down. Its got me thinking for sure.

If i can get that car for 22 or less i might just do it.

Here in New England awd cars like Subbies are very common and useful. My wifes's had Legacy Outbacks since 2000 and loves them for driving in the snow. As far as a daily, if you don't need it for driving in the snow then you can find another small car that gets better mileage, if that's what you're looking for.

Wont see snow, but im interested in having a car that makes decent power and is good with gas. I ve never owned an AWD car before, im sure it hurts the mileage but i can live with 25 mpg

If you're not driving in the snow I would look at other smaller cars with an orientation to "sport" if that's what's important. I got a Nissan Altima with the 3.5 and it's pretty nice to drive. My son has the 4 cyl version and it's not bad either with better mileage than mine.

I think I have a serious case of the impulse buy it now phase. I ve always thought these cars would be great because of the turbo and the light weight for economy and power.

They are fun cars but if you drive them "spririted" your mileage will go down the tube and it needs 93 octane. I have a friend that played with a turbo Legacy for a while. He lost his shirt on that one but it was used and beat then he modded it and beat it more then boom. It was an expensive lesson. At least if you start new things should be fine for while.

Those car are a blast that awd lunch is nuts!! I say go for it. Is it an sti? Or just a wrx? But im more of a mit evolution 9 i like the looks better..

I owned a 2006 WRX that had a few MODs done to it, fun little car but it did drink the gas...probably got around 22mpg. I unfortunately traded that in for a GTI, what a mistake that was, kick myself everyday for that. I think they are awesome, fun, tough, dependable cars.

I was thinking of getting a 2012 wrx as well! I havnt driven one yet, but looking at the boxer engine design has sold me on em. Plus its got a turbo ;-)

a friend of mine just traded his 08 wrx for a 2012 wrx premium. its a really nice car. FWIW , sell it before the warranty is over as the parts are quite expensive. Another weird thing about it is that it comes with "summer" tires. You would think that Subaru would have at least put all season tires on it.

Does it have to be a 2012 model? Why not look at an older STi model.. I have a WRX as a dd for my wife. 23-25 mpg average 27mpg if babied only stage II. I have a friend with a lead foot and he gets around 18mpg. One of the guys I know builds and modifies these cars. I went for a ride in a project STI 2004 model... Thing pulled as hard as my Buick!!! And stopped on a dime with giant Brembo's all around. 6 speed too! Come to think of it you can probably buy a used one with a blown engine and have the engine built for less than a new 2012 model...

These cars are well built; have huge aftermarket support; are easy to work on; are relatively inexpensive to maintain; and very reliable and utilitarian... We bought our 04 new and it's never once been to the dealership for any issues. Just my .02.:cool:

They're great cars... but make no mistake, you're not buying it for the gas. I mean, you'd have to drive a heck of a lot each month, for the mileage difference to make up the car payment ;)

If you're wanting a newer car, that's fun with potential.. then go for it. AWD is a BEAST. Buddy if mine builds AWD Eagle Talons in MI... every time I visit, he reminds me of how bad I want one... LOL.

Just to give you my experience. In the last 10 yrs, I've had a WRX, GTO, Trailblazer SS, & G8 GT. I've lived in AZ & MN. The WRX was a blast during the winter (in MN) & was a good all around fun car. If you drive it hard, it would suck the mpg down into the high teens. I only got about 3-4 better than the GTO or the G8 driving around the city. In AZ, I wouldn't buy it as the heat also sucks the power out of them & the heat & A/C really sucks the power out (they don't have much low end torque like a big V8 to shrug off the A/C draw). They have a great launch, but when the weather was nice that only last for 60-100ft until the other cars could motor buy (I modded mine into a low 13 sec car). The launch does punish them, but if you get it just right, you'll kill other cars at the stoplights. I didn't have as much fun in it as I did the RWD cars. They are just more fun, once the launch is over on the AWD, there's not much challenge beyond not missing the shift. The RWD required you to pay more attention going through the gears & just seemed more fun. If you were in MN, I'd say go for it. In AZ I'd say look at other options. The new 5.0's & Camaro's are nice & the depreciation hit in the 5.0's can get you into one for the mid 20's. I've looked at a lot of the new performance cars. All of the small turbo'd AWD cars will have some of those same downfalls. The best one for performance & mpg is the Mazdaspeed 3 (no AWD). Without the AWD you're going to get better mpg, they are fun/challenging to drive. Just realize any of the small engine turbo cars are going to perform worse in the AZ heat & suck down the gas w/AWD & A/C going.

Thats a good point about the AZ heat. Mazda 3? I ll read up on those. The wrx you had built sounds like exactly what i was thinking about doing. Sounds like you got bored with it?