Todays Junkyard Find...

lucky your head wasn't under there too. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Speaking of hoods shutting :) when I went to check out my WE4 before I bought it, the guy popped the hood and told me NOT to close it that he would do it. Well the struts were a little worn and the hood didn't want to stay up so my dad held it open while I checked everything out. Well the hood seemed to be staying up ok on it's own, so we left it open and started looking through the inside of the car. (meanwhile the guy had gone inside to get us some drinks). All of a sudden a big ole BANG from the front of the car, me and my dad look up and the hood was closed. My dad was worried that he was going to be pissed. I heard the garage door open and saw him coming out, so real quick I popped the hood latch. He walked to the front of the car and commented how it was nice of me to lower the hood but not latch it. :D

Salsa jar headlight!

WOW!

It sure has been a while. I haven't been out to the yard in about three months. And the few times before that, there was nothing to report.

But today I saw something.

Some freak had been using a salsa jar for a head light. Damn funny.

They used a clear glass salsa jar with a metal lid. They poked a hole in the lid and put aluminum foil inside of it. They put a light bulb (H4 style) in the hole and whammo, instant head light.

Damn funny.

:D

best deal

Hi,
You are probably not going to believe this, but I once found a running, driving '87 GN at the ridiculous price of $700. It was pretty bashed up on the passenger side, so I made a parts car of it. I used this donor to improve my '83 ttype. What a deal, never could have done it without Nick Slimmer and Vince Agriesti! This was back in '99. A deal like this comes infrequently, at best!
Dale

You're right. I don't believe you!.....:D ;)

For me, that would be the ALL TIME greatest find! Damn did you score!!..... :)

My wifes family own three wrecking yards and I get to go up there on the weekends to scrounge around. Unfortunately they deal mostly in late 90's to current year cars, so there's little in the line of G-body stuff but you wouldn't believe what the guys who work in the yard find. Everything from cool gadgets, radios, sunglasses, weed,(and other narcotics) clothing and for some reason...... underwear. How many people out there carry spare undies in their car? Just curious if I'm missing out on something here.... :D

Three years ago, I was cleaning our GN in the driveway. A guy pulls in and tells me he lives around the corner. He's the body shop manager at our local Buick dealership. He also has a GN. He had picked up a '87 Turbo T for parts. Then he decided he didn't need anything and was considering getting away from the turbos completely, and asked if I wanted the T for $1200. I expected a basket case... Car was solid, one registered owner, window sticker, dealer maintained w/records for everything from day 1 :cool: The only thing it needed was exhaust, ac recharge, and paint work for slight pealing of clearcoat. I'm still running it. It's been in the 11s on the original 130k motor and tranny. It gets lots of looks and compliments since being painted. Great deals are out there. They're just few, and far between. Dave C.

Blast from the past!

I went to the junk yard today, and guess what?

No g-bodies! :mad:

Not one of any kind.

I did get three 36mm front sway bars. :cool:

turbofish38 said:
It pays to be a scrounger. I found, and bought this 82 GN from a metal recycler. If I had waited another day it would have been crushed and on its way to Japan to made into Toyotas.
http://www.msnusers.com/turbofish38/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=22

To bad someone replaced the original turbo motor with a NA 3.8 and the floorpan was all rusted out otherwise I would have restored it.

That year only came with a N/A 4.1L, the only non turbo Grand National year.

His WAS a turbo car too. I have talked to him about it and seen some pics. Very rare car, I think Rich George has documented 25 or so on his registry.

I am fortunate enough to have a local junk yard that has LOTS of room so they don't ever get rid of anything. I have scored two sets of PERFECT clear marker lights, two ecms, tons of chip carriers, More car stereo wiring than I care to remember, and lots of other cool stuff. Found a coilpack/module yesterday but didn't have any tools with me (I didn't drive). G-bodies as far as the eye can see.

I bought a 78 Olds cutlass out of a towing yard near home for towing and storage fees.

The guy delivers the car to my house, I pull the rear seat out so I dont have to punch the lock, and while wiggling around in the trunk, I see all these red plastic boxes... get the trunb open, and then I can see... The trunk was FULL of Snap-on tool sets in the plastic carrying cases...

2 sub boxes, new car cover (in the box) new Rockford-Fosgate amps

A bong... (well used) and a pound of weed... (I wondered why it smelled funny in the trunk)

HI85WH1 said:
I bought a 78 Olds cutlass out of a towing yard near home for towing and storage fees.

The guy delivers the car to my house, I pull the rear seat out so I dont have to punch the lock, and while wiggling around in the trunk, I see all these red plastic boxes... get the trunb open, and then I can see... The trunk was FULL of Snap-on tool sets in the plastic carrying cases...

A bong... (well used) and a pound of weed... (I wondered why it smelled funny in the trunk)

LOL! Rob, was this recently? :cool:

Geoff87 said:
LOL! Rob, was this recently? :cool:

Geoff,

This was about 8 years ago... maybe a little longer... back in my straight days... before I was corrupted... ;)

HI85WH1 said:

I know you turned the narcotics over to the proper authorities :D

This thread is cool..... :cool:

I wish I had some cool experiences to share.. like these.

My most recent junkyard purchase... was some type II coilpacks w/modules. I wasn't sure if they were going to work. I bought 2 of them for $80. They both work fine on my '87 GN. Now I got a spare.

Wake up guys! Where are all the cool stories?

I finally went to the boneyard last weekend after about a year hiatus.

I got two hollow front sway bars and two aluminum brake drums. Been a while since I got some brake drums, so I was happy to get those.

I did see a 1970 Buick Skylark convertible. It looked like it was fished out of the sea. There wasn't one part on it worth taking. It looked liked it had already been picked over pretty good. To bad.

I saw a 1978ish Buick lesabre/Electra? with a Black and Silver paint scheme (like a WH1). I thought it might be something interesting so I checked it out and sure enough it was a turbo car. Top end and turbo were missing. Bottom end / block was still there. All the emblems were gone. Dash was cool; it said "turbo boost" on it. I would have snagged the dash just for a keepsake but the yard was closing.

Well this isn't my story but the assist. mgr of the Pick N Pull I go to had a customer dump off an old engine, that some old relative used to have. He didn't know much about it but was cleaning up and din't need it taking up space.
Anyway, it was an old Hemi, magr asked boss if he could have it and boss said yes. He took it to a machine shop buddy who said it looked real good and only needed a clean up. A few days later, the machinist calls back and knows someone who wants it.
My friend made $4000.
One mans junk.......

Oh and I came across a 74 Laguna S-3. Looked like it was nice not too long before coming in. Was an orange car with Black interior, buckets, floor shift, console and no rust! Rare for a 70's GM even here in CA. Of course the interior is gone and the eng./trans ( and now the front end and taillights thanks to me....Come on Ebay! ;) )