TR for sale in the NW?

emissions problems

thank for the greeting. the only one I know here is Adam(HYBRIDT) but, I've known him since we were kids. the car only has 20000 orig. miles so its done its far share of sitting around , I bought it to drive,but I do dig the condition its in. It looks like the orig. cat, the mods I know of are hot wired fuel pump, Walbro 340 fuel pump, Accufab adj. fuel pressure reg, K&N air filter, scanmaster, and a performance chip?. the chip was bought from frank(I think) and I'm not sure what it is. but I do have the orig. chip and some other one that came with the car. hopefully tomarrow I can sqeak through and not have to worry about it any more. I don't know what the fuel press. is set at but that could be a problem. thanx, Josh.

Re: emissions problems

Originally posted by JP87GN
thank for the greeting. the only one I know here is Adam(HYBRIDT) but, I've known him since we were kids. the car only has 20000 orig. miles so its done its far share of sitting around , I bought it to drive,but I do dig the condition its in. It looks like the orig. cat, the mods I know of are hot wired fuel pump, Walbro 340 fuel pump, Accufab adj. fuel pressure reg, K&N air filter, scanmaster, and a performance chip?. the chip was bought from frank(I think) and I'm not sure what it is. but I do have the orig. chip and some other one that came with the car. hopefully tomarrow I can sqeak through and not have to worry about it any more. I don't know what the fuel press. is set at but that could be a problem. thanx, Josh.

welcome aboard! The chip was borrowed and never returned so I guess you owe me $20 already! J/K The chip was a thrasher 92 with no security for stock injectors.

Bring that beast over and we'll get that brick to pass emissions.

Frank

twenty bucks

Dave did say something about oweing you $20 for a chip, but I wasn't sure if it was the one in the caror not. if you want I can shake down Dave and get your $$$. I know he's $15,000 richer now, and I'm in debt. I might take you up on that if it don't pass tomarrow.

Re: twenty bucks

Dave did say something about oweing you $20 for a chip, but I wasn't sure if it was the one in the caror not. if you want I can shake down Dave and get your $$$. I know he's $15,000 richer now, and I'm in debt. I might take you up on that if it don't pass tomarrow.

The Thrasher should pass, if not put the stocker back in set your fuel pressure to 36psi with vacuum line off. Make sure that you change your oil and plugs. Final thought would be to make sure that the car is HOT. The hotter the car runs the better your chances are for passing.

If you use the stock chip do you know if it is the factory recall chip for emissions? I was able to pass with stock injectors and stock chip. It was close but it passed.

Good luck.

FS

I'd like to think I helped bring Josh to the dark side, but alas I think he might have had more to do with me and my car. Josh always drove cutlasses when we were younger so a lot of my G-body knowledge came then I guess. There was the custom torch lowering and the custom exhaust back seat fire and so on and so on......;)

Josh, these are the best bunch of guys to hang around and they're always willing to help so look forward to lots of fun.

Frank, any news on the next NW get together?

Dan, the T-top holders are in a state of suspended animation right now 'cause of other business, but anytime you want come by my work and we'll polish up your stuff.

ADUM

Originally posted by HYBRIDT
I'd like to think I helped bring Josh to the dark side, but alas I think he might have had more to do with me and my car. Josh always drove cutlasses when we were younger so a lot of my G-body knowledge came then I guess. There was the custom torch lowering and the custom exhaust back seat fire and so on and so on......;)

Josh, these are the best bunch of guys to hang around and they're always willing to help so look forward to lots of fun.

Frank, any news on the next NW get together?

Dan, the T-top holders are in a state of suspended animation right now 'cause of other business, but anytime you want come by my work and we'll polish up your stuff.

ADUM

Ah another get together!? I would love to do something in the spring time... It needs to be something that our other TR owners would be willing to do with their families, so I don't think a dyno day will cut it.

I recently found out about the Evergreen Museum. This is where the "Spruce Goose" is held.

Evergreen Calander

The Evergreen Aviation Museum is located at 3500 NE Captain Michael King Smith Way
McMinnville, OR 97128. Right off Highway 18 , approximately 35 miles southwest of Portland, Oregon.

I guess this should be in it's own thread.

So what do you guys think? Lets caravan down to Portland and visit some history with the family and stay the weekend and sit in a hot tub and drink a beer.

Spruce Goose

Museum

Frank

Josh,

Very unlikely you'll be able to pass with the Thrasher chip. It's designed to idle in open loop and intentionally runs rich to smooth out the idle. Since the CAT is still on the car, you should be able to slap in the stock chip and set the fuel pressure to 38psi and be set to pass.

If you want to borrow my stock chip or emission chip for stock injectors you're welcome to use it.

We'll get you to pass!

Adum,

I'm in no hurry to get the T-Tops restraint done. You can have the whole week ;)

Drop me an email to hook up some time and we'll polish up a few goodies.

Thanks a lot!

thanx guys

thanx for the info. I tried again today and failed but, I talked them into giving me a waiver and got it regestered and new tabs so I'm good for a year. I do still have some problems with the car thought. I went through 3/4 tank of fuel in 3 days and drove less than 150 miles, seemed like alot. something is just not right so I guess I need to hook up with one of you knowledgeable gents and tune this bad boy in. I do think I want to change the injectors right away, I think I want blue tops (not sure?) what do you guys suggest. I'm also thinking of a cat back set up and maybe a high flow cat. I like the quality look of the ATR exhuast. Is there anything better or maybe as good but cheaper.

Nice job getting emissions taken care of for now. Definitely need to straighten out the state of tune. 3/4 tank in 150 miles is poor unless you drive like Frank and go into boost all the time:D Gotta admit that I'm not much better. Everytime I take my GN out I get into max boost at some point. The beauty of these cars is they love it! Just avoid detonation!!

First step is to finish all the spring cleaning http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html or verify that BigDave did it recently.

Then be sure to get the current configuration into the best state of tune. That is 16-17 lbs of boost on 92 octane with zero knock retard, BLM at cruise near 128, gas mileage for Thrasher around 17 mpg (I never got great mileage with that chip). This may require some adjustment to TPS, IAC, fuel pressure, wastegate, etc. Also may need to replace a few minor parts like sensors, vacuum hoses or whatever it takes to fix the tuning.

Now you will know you have the car baselined and ready for fun upgrades. ATR exhaust is very nice. Stainless one is pricey but very good quality. I would get a test pipe and throw the CAT on the shelf. Nice seat of the pants gain with the test pipe. Downpipe in the future. Stick with the stock headers.

Fuel injectors depends on what your goals are now in the future. 50 pounders would be worth upgrading to if you know you want a bigger turbo later. You can live with smaller injector now, but you probably will want more and more and more later. Again, depends on your goals with your GN.

What would be fun is to hook up with a few of us fanatics and checkout each others cars. We can help you write up an upgrade shopping list to help you spend your money...wisely of course. :p

Re: emissions problems

the orig. cat, the mods I know of are hot wired fuel pump, Walbro 340 fuel pump, Accufab adj. fuel pressure reg, K&N air filter, scanmaster, and a performance chip?.

Are you saying that you have a scanmaster or you that you have this item on you list of things to get? If you have it, is it hooked up? The Scanmaster will become your new best friend when tuning the black brick.

Frank

good stuff man!!

Can you buy a pipe that bolts in to eliminate the cat , or do you have to build one yourself. My goals with this car are something in the 11's . nothing to crazy, just pure fun!! I would like to hook up with you guys to see what goods I will be needing in the future so I don't waste $$ like you said. Definitly let me know if you guys will be getting together anytime soon to b.s. and I'll be there.

scanmaster

yes , the car came with a scanmaster, but thats all I know about it is the name.

Re: scanmaster

yes , the car came with a scanmaster, but thats all I know about it is the name.

Well then, were on our way to tuning this thing into a beast. We need to get together and make this happen. Randy you can put that 10" sub in my GN and Dan and I can tune Josh's GN.

Josh, first we need to know what your goals are with the GN. Will it be a daily driver or a street killing machine, just like mine :D?

Figure out what your long term goals are so you only buy injectors and a turbo once!

Frank

Josh always did have sort of a heavy foot.:D Lets just make it a sunday for once. I only have sundays and mondays off of work. He's already done a new fuel filter and O2 sensor and the top engine cleaner. Needs the passenger side breather and maybe clean out the intercooler, but probably not since only 20k miles. Could use new plugs too I guess.

ADUM

once is good

I have a truck I drive daily but I want to drive this car daily on nice spring and summer days. so I guess I want some of both worlds.

Yes, you can buy a test pipe that has a flange ready to bolt on right where the CAT is. Cheap and easy to do. Buy from your favorite vendor: Cotton, Kirban, ATR, etc. Maybe a local has an extra one to sell ya cheap.

11 second street/strip car is ideal for these cars. Much more and the reliability starts to head south without dumping in a ton of $ into the combo. We can definitely get you there. Frank has the street killer combo right now. It will take a turbo, injectors, exhaust, chip. Alky injection is great for the street. Maybe bigger intercooler and probably torque convertor. Stock tranny will not live very long with that much power, but maybe hold off until it starts dying before rebuilding stronger than stock.

Other inputs, guys ?

exhuast

I'm going to tackle the exhuast first since the tail pipes on the car now rub the tires, someone had already put some crap on there, so I ordered ATR 3" dual stainless cat back and a high flow cat. It was spendy, I hope its worth the extra $$$. Have and of you guys heard this exhuast? does it change the sound much?

Originally posted by TurboSlacker
Yes, you can buy a test pipe that has a flange ready to bolt on right where the CAT is. Cheap and easy to do. Buy from your favorite vendor: Cotton, Kirban, ATR, etc. Maybe a local has an extra one to sell ya cheap.

11 second street/strip car is ideal for these cars. Much more and the reliability starts to head south without dumping in a ton of $ into the combo. We can definitely get you there. Frank has the street killer combo right now. It will take a turbo, injectors, exhaust, chip. Alky injection is great for the street. Maybe bigger intercooler and probably torque convertor. Stock tranny will not live very long with that much power, but maybe hold off until it starts dying before rebuilding stronger than stock.

Other inputs, guys ?

My Honest opinion would be if you want a very nice 11 second street strip car like the above, you would dumping a lot of dough into that new car.

Add up the cost of a PTS tranny and converter, Alky injection, turbo, exhaust, down pipe, adjustable waste gate, boost command, intercooler, Ram air cleaner, exhaust, etc.

Now add the price you paid for the car. Now pick yourself off the floor.

Sell it now for what you paid for it, and buy Frank's. You would $$$ way ahead and be able to enjoy driving it in its 11 second form now. You could probably spend the difference on a killer paint job for Frank's and still come out okay.

Just my $.02.

Chris