Turbo LS Cost

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Guys,
What is the true cost of a turbo LS into a Turbo Regal. One that retains the AC and Heater box. I see lots of talk about how cheap the engines are but really how much is saved or spent to get a nice hot side and intercooler setup?
I am asking because I have been thinking about going this route. I would have to pay someone to fabricate the hot side or try to buy used. Does anyone offer a kit yet?
Thanks

$20-30k depending on how nice you make it. Ive seen some shabby chit that probably cost $10k. headers $3500-4000, turbo $2500, intercooler $2000, engine managment $2500, boost controller $600-1500, fuel system $2000, exhaust $2000, engine $1500-13000, chassis $$$$, paying a shop $100-150/hr $$$$$, a lot more small stuff that will add thousands. Much cheaper to maintain and likely a lot cheaper in the future if run at a lower power density than a v6. No escaping the cost to build properly though.

Yeah I figured it was high. Just not that high. Maybe I'll start with just the ls swap without turbo and work on it as time and funds allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$20-30k depending on how nice you make it. Ive seen some shabby chit that probably cost $10k. headers $3500-4000, turbo $2500, intercooler $2000, engine managment $2500, boost controller $600-1500, fuel system $2000, exhaust $2000, engine $1500-13000, chassis $$$$, paying a shop $100-150/hr $$$$$, a lot more small stuff that will add thousands. Much cheaper to maintain and likely a lot cheaper in the future if run at a lower power density than a v6. No escaping the cost to build properly though.

hold on, how did I run a 8 sec pass on my 1100 HP $500 ls1 then? lol amen brother..

Bison, you just described an 8 second car . It doesn't sound like that was what he was after.

I bought a complete fresh motor for $1000. (intake to pan) Brand new 4L80E for $1500. I'll have $2k into the Holley Dominator and another $2000-2500 into Accessories and injectors and misc sensors. The car has an Intercooler and fuel system already. $500 in Swap mounts and another few hundred in driveshaft. Motor came with Truck manifolds and I've been quoted $800-1000 to build a hot side with down pipe. I need a laptop and a few hundred for fluids and misc cooling lines and such.

Have we reached $10k yet? I'm sure AC will add another $$$

*Edit* I forgot the turbo. I picked up a Turbonetics billet wheel 75/75 midframe with 1.00ar and Ceramic coated housing for $1200. Now we are near $10k.

I described a car that had been built and made many low 9 sec/ high 8 sec passes. All done on an NHRA sanctioned dragstrip with a chassis cert and all the safety equipment. I wouldn't build an LS car unless I was planning to run that fast.

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at the option more for a way to avoid crazy V6 part prices. Seems to be getting out of hand anymore. Anyway it doesn't really seem like a good option for me.
I don't want to run 8's, I just kept hearing how much more cost effective the swap is....
7d67ddeee663f6c1ba46116f5e0c75af.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at the option more for a way to avoid crazy V6 part prices. Seems to be getting out of hand anymore. Anyway it doesn't really seem like a good option for me.
I don't want to run 8's, I just kept hearing how much more cost effective the swap is....
7d67ddeee663f6c1ba46116f5e0c75af.jpg

The only thing you're really saving is time building an engine and the relative availability of parts related to the engine. The cost of anything else is at least as expensive. If you plan on running at a similar power density as the v6 it's going to really get expensive.

retaining the factory A/C could be trouble, as the space needed for the AC box is where your exhaust will be,
yes, you can have something built to fit, but at what cost? look at all the options before you commit.

My plans are only to go 10.0 Extremely reliably on pump gas. This $1200 motor (intake to pan) should be able to do that fairly easy. I parted out the entire motor and trans combo for around $5k so I am only into the swap for about $2500 so far. I had the parts to go low 10's but needed a short block. I was looking at $2500-3200 for that and the car never would have been reliable as a LS set up.

AC Aside, it's all the little stuff that no one warns you about . Accessory systems, Motor and trans mounts, wiring options, computer options, water pump, Alternator, starter , Flex plate, Trans dip stick and idk what shifter i'm going to use. Oil feed and drain supplies etc..
My motor didn't have sensors with it so I had to get a cam Sensor, crank sensor, New Throttle body with TPS and IAC and Cam sensor relocation harness. I don't even have the trans bolted together and in the car yet so god knows what else i'm facing.

The LS swap isn't worth it if you just want to run mid to high 10's. Your buick will get there cheaper and easier. I'm looking for faster and I'd like to have the foundation to swap my long block out with a much better one down the road.

If I were starting from scratch or a chassis with hurt or weak motor I believe I'd take the plunge to a ls power plant. I bought a 70k mile 5.3l from a buddy for $400 but just have the nerve to pull my 4.2l v6 to swap it in.

LOL @ 30k.

I made 545 RWHP with a boosted LS AND a t56. With a ton of aftermarket suspension stuff. Spent right under 10k.

You gotta be able to find deal and not be afraid to buy used stuff.

It can be done dirt cheap or it can be done like Bison described. it depends on how much you can do.
I have pipe dreams of going Turbo LS For a total of $5K NOT including the cost of the engine and trans.
Then again i don't have a problem with ugly and we all know ugly is a lot cheaper than pretty.

my starting point might look like "this"
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/4834887356.html
You can find turbo LS rides for under $10k. Granted they are rough and would need several thousand to make them safe for drag racing. A turn key car/truck built around an LS turbo that is NHRA legal in the low 20's. Paying someone to do the work is pretty much summed up in first first post here.

You can find turbo LS rides for under $10k. Granted they are rough and would need several thousand to make them safe for drag racing. A turn key car/truck built around an LS turbo that is NHRA legal in the low 20's. Paying someone to do the work is pretty much summed up in first first post here.

Agreed on the paying someone.

But the NHRA stuff is NOT directly related to the LS Trans plant.

Agreed on the paying someone.

But the NHRA stuff is NOT directly related to the LS Trans plant.
It's not but usually when you're putting an engine like this in a chassis you're not looking to make a few hundred hp and the car will likely be run on a drag strip at some point. 100hp per hole is a more than conservative expectation

Last edited:
I'm with Bison on this one. I'f you have a Turbo Buick that you have been working with for some time, you may wan't to stick with it. If you building a car from scratch then maybe I would consider an LS motor. Then again, why build it into a Regal body? Use something else.

Compare an apple to an apple. Considering the fact that most people don't have the technical know-how or fabrication skills to do something like this from scratch, It could be very expensive. The details is where the money is lost. Fortunately for me, I have the skills and I still needed a lot of advise.

Take this for example. If my car had an LS motor in it it would have costed exactly 12 thousand dollars less. That's it! Exactly 12 thousand less!

The question isn't how much I would spend if I went LS. Instead, It's how much I would save! You see, for me, I have done everything just the same way I would have done it if I used an LS motor. The only difference is I used a stage V6 motor. So, If a Buick motor cost about 17 thousand, and an LS motor cost about 5 thousand, then the difference is only 12 thousand. That doesn't seem like a lot of money to me when spread it over 3 years of fabrication work. Nothing else separates the the cost on my build, just the motor! And I'm going just as fast as I would with an LS motor. The difference is I feel confident I can go much faster with the built V6. I wouldn't feel as confident with a basic stock LS motor going into the 8's. That's just me though.

Guys,
What is the true cost of a turbo LS into a Turbo Regal. One that retains the AC and Heater box. I see lots of talk about how cheap the engines are but really how much is saved or spent to get a nice hot side and intercooler setup?
I am asking because I have been thinking about going this route. I would have to pay someone to fabricate the hot side or try to buy used. Does anyone offer a kit yet?
Thanks[/Q
Guys,
Thanks
What makes you want to go LS , I know the V6 s are temperamental and have limits & expensive , just wondering what you think ?

FWIW, I met a guy in early may who had bought a Buick Regal, not a turbo Regal, and did an LS swap. It was a twin turbo setup and engine setup alone cost him $40k. If I get a chance to get a picture, I will. A guy that bowls on my league, it's his brother. I said something to the same effect, I should've done as LS swap it's less expensive. Then the guy told me how much his brother put into the engine alone. Granted, I wouldn't need a twin turbo setup, but I would have to pay a shop to all the work for me. I'm sure I'd be in for more than it's going to cost to build my 109 block. I'm certainly not looking to push my car into the 8's or even 9's. I should get by just fine on my 109 build.