Turbo LS Cost

An ls swap can be cost effective and still look "pretty" only if you do the work yourself, right down to the engine work.

I have a all original 80k Mike 87 GN fresh rebuilt 200r4 and the 3.8 has developed a slight knock . Instead of rebuilding the 3.8 I'm thinking of a 5.3 LS and 4L80e swap . My question is I'm going to look to sell my stock 3.8 , trans , turbo , inter cooler, wiring , computer and everything I'm removing to do the LS swap , what's a price I should ask for selling my complete drivetrain if anyone could help me come up with a starting asking price ?

I have a all original 80k Mike 87 GN fresh rebuilt 200r4 and the 3.8 has developed a slight knock . Instead of rebuilding the 3.8 I'm thinking of a 5.3 LS and 4L80e swap . My question is I'm going to look to sell my stock 3.8 , trans , turbo , inter cooler, wiring , computer and everything I'm removing to do the LS swap , what's a price I should ask for selling my complete drivetrain if anyone could help me come up with a starting asking price ?
Sell the whole car to someone who will love it and build it as a Buick again. Then buy some G-body like a Monte Carlo. Then prepare to spend the same money to go fast except now your going to do it with a car no one will miss.

Sorry I'm just a Buick snob. Rightfully so.

Sell the whole car to someone who will love it and build it as a Buick again. Then buy some G-body like a Monte Carlo. Then prepare to spend the same money to go fast except now your going to do it with a car no one will miss.

Sorry I'm just a Buick snob. Rightfully so.
Agree and disagree, the GN holds value the others not so much.

Agree and disagree, the GN holds value the others not so much.
Yes, I agree. Even more reason to sell it. Because if I was (and even if I wasn't) a Buick enthusiast, and I was looking to buy a GN, I would pay a fair amount for a good 80,000 mile Turbo Buick. I wouldn't pay 28 cents for a Buick with another drivetrain. Simply because I'm looking to buy a Buick. Not some mongrel.

However, If it was a LS powered vehicle I was looking for, then almost anything would do. I believe most Hot Rodders wouldn't care much about what an LS is in. As long as it's an LS. So, why would they pay more for a GN?

And let's forget about money for a second. Because none of this crap financially really makes any sense to anyone but us. Lets talk about preserving the integrity of the Buick's reputation.

Or, lets go back to money again. Read my post 18. Read it slow. Read it twice. And understand the only cost difference will be the differential in the costs of both motors. And that is it!!! Is it worth it to depreciate your car by 15 thousand to save the difference in cost? Just the difference. Not the whole cost of the motor, Just the difference.

If the complexities of owning one of these cars is beyond the effort (or comprehensive understanding) of the average Hot Rodder, then stick to the motors that Middle School shop classes use to teach their 14 year old students with.

I'm so sorry. Once again, I'm an F#ck'n Buick snob. Everything else is a tool to get from A to B. Then through it away! :mad:

I hear ya and I understand the purest thing and I do understand it will hurt the over all value of the car but I'm never selling it so that's out ! So thanks for the input . And as Turbopowered68 said yes the GN hold value to some but not all . I see high nada on a 87 at $47k and you never see them sell for that unless the are a extreme low mile mint condition one( witch mine is not ) and I would never LS swap one of those , mine is probably a 6 being 10 perfect . thanks for input tho !

I hear ya and I understand the purest thing and I do understand it will hurt the over all value of the car but I'm never selling it so that's out ! So thanks for the input . And as Turbopowered68 said yes the GN hold value to some but not all . I see high nada on a 87 at $47k and you never see them sell for that unless the are a extreme low mile mint condition one( witch mine is not ) and I would never LS swap one of those , mine is probably a 6 being 10 perfect . thanks for input tho !
By the way I payed $10k for mine not 6 months ago

By chance can any one tell me of a single turbo kit that would work well in my 1985 regal with a lq9 swap i understand there will be cutting and welding but any kits out there that fit better then others .

I recently did the ls turbo swap and have spend every bit of 20K if not more with a junkyard motor, however I did it right the first time. I built and installed everything myself from log manifold to fuel system. I have a new built 4L80E, holley dominator efi, BW s475, etc. take it from me it is not the cost of the turbo it is the cost of everything else to hold up to the power that you will make. This goes for a N/A motor to though. If your gonna go fast its gonna cost!! Now i didn't buy any used parts because I'm not big on putting stuff in and taking it right back out because someone lied to me about what they are selling.

wat kinda power did it make?

I recently did the ls turbo swap and have spend every bit of 20K if not more with a junkyard motor, however I did it right the first time. I built and installed everything myself from log manifold to fuel system. I have a new built 4L80E, holley dominator efi, BW s475, etc. take it from me it is not the cost of the turbo it is the cost of everything else to hold up to the power that you will make. This goes for a N/A motor to though. If your gonna go fast its gonna cost!! Now i didn't buy any used parts because I'm not big on putting stuff in and taking it right back out because someone lied to me about what they are selling.

I haven't dynoed it yet, I'm still working out some bugs in the wastegate system. It is supposed to be set at 10 psi but the first time out it hit 20 and the second it hit 15, both times sending turbo piping flying but it was pulling pretty good!!!

Could you give some info on the engine? Is 20k including the car?
I've done some window shopping and priced out what I'd need to do the swap and bottom dollar cost to my existing car and mods already done would cost 4k with trans being big ticket item. Going all out I feel I could build a solid platform to my existing car and mods for 10k and that's including machine work and 35s axle rear end. I do have a built transmission in my car now that cost $4500 to build these days and would try to bolt it up to an ls before buying a new trans.

No the car is not in that price. Now close to 4K is the transmission, but there are no stock parts left on my car. If you aren't looking for a tremendous amount of power you can get away cheaper. I bought moser axles, auburn pro differential, new gears, and just about all parts are good name brand stuff. I didn't want to have to do it twice. Some people have had good luck with the eBay stuff but I didn't want to take a chance. I'm wanting to take long trips with mine, i.e. Power tour and didn't want to worry about it crapping out in bfe.

High level.. What makes up the 4K? Turbo, headers, efi, injectors, intake? Rod bolts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The transmission was 4K for the rebuild and converter, BW S475 turbo, Holley dominator efi system, deka 80# injectors, stock long block.