Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

Here is a pic of the turbo I used. You can see the plug in the front hole. That is where I plumbed in the alky nozzle.

Attachments

• ScannedImage.jpg
    ScannedImage.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 401
Major diameter is 60mm and minor is 46.5mm. On the new one the major diameter is 69mm and the minor is 53mm which is a huge difference. The exduce size is just the reverse of this so the weight of the wheel will let it spin much faster to start with.

Okay, so I have a M11 AIResearch(79 turbo) and a M10 GARRETT(85 turbo)... what one is better to use with the drawthu? I thought maybe the 85 would have more power, but the 79 is bigger:eek: I think this is a no brainier, but I just want to make sure:biggrin:

Sorry, forgot to add the sizes:biggrin: They are both kinda small... A/R is .42 and the GARRETT is .60 But I`m taking about the turbo it`s self, which would be better?

The M10 is larger and will flow much better than the M11. The .60AR Makes all the difference in the world. That's why the the SFI cars use it. It may look smallr but it will work better. Now go start your own thread please.

Charlie,

This is really cool stuff. I confess I had though about the possibilities of a hybrid using 301 TTA stuff, as it "appeared" to be very similar in nature (i.e. bolt patterns, down pipe, etc.).

Way cool to see you've taken the plunge regarding.

I too, think there is more potential for making power in the turbo carb cars than has been achieved so far. GM moved to SFI which quickly overshadowed the previous system and any R&D effort.

Keep us up to date on progress - nice work.:cool:

Well I'm not the first to do it Scott. I'm just the first to post how to do it. Big diff. I got the idea off GN/TType but the guy never posted how he did it. I found one other member on here, Philbuilt, who did the same thing a few years ago. He was more than helpful telling me what mods to do so it would work. Some of work is my own doing and some is ideas from others. The turbo is currently at rmar's (Ronnie Martin) getting powder coated and when it gets back more pics to come. I get to show you how to put it back together.

LOL Thanks Justin. Still waiting for Ronnie to get the parts back to me but it should be here int the next week or so. I've been doing a lot of side work lately so I haven't been on as much as I'd like. Gotta build up some bank so I can get everything together for testing and I'm planning on taking it to Noble this year for her first time on the 1/4 mile. Gotta do some 1/8 mile testing first so the 83 will be used as the test bed before I transplant everything into the 82 GN.

I want to go to Noble, OK too. Damnit it's too far away from me,,,, or I'm too far away from it.

Come on Adam, I got a maybe from Aj and GNeric but haven't heard from Fuzzy yet. You've got 9 months to get it together and join at least me.

Smoking the buick

I'm following this thread you have going here...I'm right behind you ...How did you make out with that 301 turbo anyway...did you get it mounted?? Have it running yet??

Smoking the buick

I thought these were old posts and I didn't know they were in real time.. I have been reading more...The latest mag I am reading is saying the best way to go is with a water cooled bearing.. one with a water jacket around it and to use synthetic oil.. Just thought I would throw that in... take it for what it is worth....I will get back to my own thread now....

Water cooling has been popular for at least 10 years....
Our Buicks are OLD tech!!

Charlie....In general, from what I understand turbo sizing is rpm related. In other words, a larger turbo will make more power at a higher rpm, at the expense of losing some low rpm power.
However, having different exhaust/intake 'sides' throws other variables into the equation!
The exhaust side is more rpm sensitive... smaller= better response, larger= better hi rpm breathing.
But is the intake side less rpm sensitive... I can see how larger intake sizing will move more air without any downsides (other than inertia and load losses).
And I can see how the '86 turbine/exducer design is more efficient. And how the larger 301 TTA compressor side will compress the air more. But I wonder why Buick didn't incorporate this in their original design.
What are the downsides to your setup, if any?