Twin turbo set up

Going to leave the turbo selection to someone better qualified.
but most likely two stock turbos.
not looking to set any records only looking to do things slightly different, have fun and talk shit about my slow twin turbo GN.

Going to leave the turbo selection to someone better qualified.
but most likely two stock turbos.
not looking to set any records only looking to do things slightly different, have fun and talk shit about my slow twin turbo GN.
That's the right attitude to have then! Just have fun and don't take it to seriously.

During my fabrication, I had spent countless hours twisting and turning late at night trying to sort details and agonizing over the costs, function, and aesthetics of my set-up. I was dead broke, I already started, and I needed to finish. Yes, I had friends to bounce questions off of. But I was no longer affiliated with any on-line forum. I didn't even own a laptop/desktop that worked. The car was down for more than 3 years. My girlfriend left me.

It's amazing I ever even finished the job.

Not really sure if i am going to do this, but i am going to give it a very close look once i get the motor in place.
on paper it looks easy since i am only planning on working on one hot side.

Anyone who starts with the headers on a TT set-up is making it hard for themselves. This is the worst way to plan it!!!

The headers are the dumb part. Put the turbos where they need to go. Then connect them with the pipes.

This is the reason why setting up a twin turbo engine compartment is such a bitch. Who the hell made the header builder GOD? What bushiness does he have telling you where to put your turbos? Only you will consider the necessary requirements for accessories and there availability.

This is why pre-made TT headers were not an option for me. And this is why I did it myself.

I think that is a little overly dramatic. I simply posted that at least one vendor still made twin turbo headers for turbo Buicks. If you don't like what is available that is fine with me becasue I never asked you to buy them. I am sure your headers are far better. I debated even posting in this thread becasue I knew you would post back and tell me how superior your set up is to anything else.

I think that is a little overly dramatic. I simply posted that at least one vendor still made twin turbo headers for turbo Buicks. If you don't like what is available that is fine with me becasue I never asked you to buy them. I am sure your headers are far better. I debated even posting in this thread becasue I knew you would post back and tell me how superior your set up is to anything else.
I think you got me all wrong. I would never argue my set-up as being superior to any other. There are two many comparisons to make. I certainly don't have the fastest twin turbo Buick. And because I'm not an iron worker, I definitely didn't do what was easiest for me. And I'm sure I don't have the most efficient set-up. All I'm saying is I got what I want, the way I want, and I think this the best way to not have to make compromises.

It's hard to have to work around someones else solid placement of the turbos. Even for the guy who made the headers! This is why they don't provide all the parts to finish the job. Because no one knows what the owner wants and there is too much other stuff to fabricate and work out. This would raise the cost to nearly the point of complete un-affordability.

So, instead, the buyer will have to deal with it. I also believe the headers are the easiest part of the job. They must be! I'm not that bright and I did it. So, I think most others can too.

It's easy to build a set of headers and say to the buyer "OK, here you go. Now you figure out the rest!". I'm posting this to help out other TR guys, not because I want to bash a product. If you don't believe me, just ask all the owners who began building twin turbo cars that never finished the job. Or better yet, the ones who did. It's a bitch!

From a non fabricators end i will have the hardest time making headers.
It will be much easier for me to buy a premade header and pipe it from there. i just haven't found one that doesn't eliminate or interfere with the accessories.
I am even considering using a modified OE driver side header, with a few bends down and around and wala the turbo is where i want it.
my crossover pipe should help in equally pressurizing both hot sides so one doesn't push more than the other --- balance issues ------ yes this idea is stuck in my head -- one short side and one long side --- needs a crossover to balance things out.

From a non fabricators end i will have the hardest time making headers.
It will be much easier for me to buy a premade header and pipe it from there. i just haven't found one that doesn't eliminate or interfere with the accessories.
I am even considering using a modified OE driver side header, with a few bends down and around and wala the turbo is where i want it.
my crossover pipe should help in equally pressurizing both hot sides so one doesn't push more than the other --- balance issues ------ yes this idea is stuck in my head -- one short side and one long side --- needs a crossover to balance things out.
How do you plan to support the weight of a 25 pound turbo suspended on a cherry red hot mild steel header extending out 18 inches in front of the motor?

How do you plan to support the weight of a 25 pound turbo suspended on a cherry red hot mild steel header extending out 18 inches in front of the motor?

Support brackets ????
The OE pass side has a big "j" bracket and another support from the flange to the Turbo base.
That would probably be the least of my problems.

Support brackets ????
The OE pass side has a big "j" bracket and another support from the flange to the Turbo base.
That would probably be the least of my problems.
That J-bracket does what it's supposed to do. You can stand on that "J" bracket! You can also remove the header without removing the turbo because of that J-bracket. This is proof that it is doing all the support. The headers alone are incapable of supporting the turbo in a reliably permanent fashion. Now if you move the turbo forward 18", you should consider giving the drivers side header at least as much support.

I think that is a little overly dramatic. I simply posted that at least one vendor still made twin turbo headers for turbo Buicks. If you don't like what is available that is fine with me becasue I never asked you to buy them. I am sure your headers are far better.

Steve, wasn't there another setup being put out at one point in which incorporated two turbo's on the passenger side, one on top with the other right underneath it, facing forward? I could have sworn I remember image grabbing a picture of that setup years back, but I can't seem to find it in my photobucket account, but I do know that someone out there was welding them and selling them as a turbo header setup. Similar to this, but for the LC2...;

261989d1374105561-89-iroc-twin-turbo-sdc10642s.jpg

Search for twin turbo by turbofabricator. He built an awesome setup.

That J-bracket does what it's supposed to do. You can stand on that "J" bracket! You can also remove the header without removing the turbo because of that J-bracket. This is proof that it is doing all the support. The headers alone are incapable of supporting the turbo in a reliably permanent fashion. Now if you move the turbo forward 18", you should consider giving the drivers side header at least as much support.
Agreed the OE support works and that was my point on my reply.
The pass side is staying in its Original location. no real need to do anything with it.

Steve, wasn't there another setup being put out at one point in which incorporated two turbo's on the passenger side, one on top with the other right underneath it, facing forward? I could have sworn I remember image grabbing a picture of that setup years back, but I can't seem to find it in my photobucket account, but I do know that someone out there was welding them and selling them as a turbo header setup. Similar to this, but for the LC2...;

261989d1374105561-89-iroc-twin-turbo-sdc10642s.jpg
I love this idea.
Going add this to the drawing board.

I love this idea.
Going add this to the drawing board.
Maybe you can use 2 passenger side headers? Just cut and cap the back side of one and cut and cap the front of the other. Then run the cross-over to the other side from the front and drop another turbo near the stock one.

Maybe you can use 2 passenger side headers? Just cut and cap the back side of one and cut and cap the front of the other. Then run the cross-over to the other side from the front and drop another turbo near the stock one.
Don't really like the look of both turbos on one side.
just looked at the engine compartment and moving the PS reserve along with adjusting the AC lines you have a clear run for a 2 inch pipe.
The big issue is the steering shaft. The header would have have to be real tight.