What do you need to run e85

what you say "made a difference", what sort of difference.

idle
cold start
power
knock

What gap? What plugs did you pull out, and how old were they, and what were they gapped at?

What did you set the gap of the new ones at? what heat range were they?

Bob

I thought guys had issues with the E3 plugs in our turbo Buick applications and mostly stayed with ACDELCO or Autolite plugs?

Injectors are in. I pumped the tank out and filled it up with E85 (A whopping $40). Started right up and drove around the block like nothing new....

Going to take some data now and lean on it a little bit to see where it's at.

I forget, which fuel pump are you using?

E85 is a hoot compared to pump gas, and a simpler solution compared to alky kits. But you need injectors and pumps that will feed the requirement.

Bob

I forget, which fuel pump are you using?

E85 is a hoot compared to pump gas, and a simpler solution compared to alky kits. But you need injectors and pumps that will feed the requirement.

Bob

this car has a single 340 pump. I figure it can support the 80's to about 80-85% duty. Probably more on the 80% side... I know 255lph comes to about 69lb/hr (x6), but that's probably rated at 40 or 45 psi... not 70psi

here's what I got so far. Driving the injectors to 70% and it could use a little more. But not bad for a couple of tuning runs. I'll have to ask Eric to free up some more duty cycle for me, as I already have the WOT adjustment maxed out and I would like to be able to push the injectors to 80%. The SMC is also on, but it's not pushing massive amounts of Methanol. Just a single nozzle.

I like the way the car smells now. Smells like sweet corn, not like exhaust :cool:

Next post has attached log file

attachment

screwed up the attachment somehow...

Attachments

• BLU_E85_2010_1.003.zip
    21.3 KB · Views: 69
Visuals....

25psi. 70% duty cycle. 0 deg KR.

blu_E85_1.jpg

blu_E85_2.jpg

Judging by that lazy 2-3 shift I'm thinking my trans could use a little "freshening" and maybe a little valve body tweaking... but it's good to go for now. :eek::D

What timing is the run above at?

You have plenty left with an SMC and intercooler on the car, plenty.

What timing is the run above at?

You have plenty left with an SMC and intercooler on the car, plenty.

23/21, base setting in the chip. I had the boost at 27 and it tickled the knock sensor. 1.2 degrees. Backed it back down to 25. I haven't looked at a TA49 compressor map in a while but I bet high efficiency island is pretty narrow up there around 27. Definitely can't complain though, runs just as good as it did with the 009's on Sunoco GT100.

It could definitely use an intercooler. Just a stock one on there now with a duttweiler neck.

what you say "made a difference", what sort of difference.

idle
cold start
power
knock

What gap? What plugs did you pull out, and how old were they, and what were they gapped at?

What did you set the gap of the new ones at? what heat range were they?

Bob

idle - certainly a difference here in both the gas and E-85 car. Kirban had customers report the same..just a better idle period.

cold start - Yes they did help here. But what helped the most was just backing off the mixer a little to 9:1 E85 to pump gas. Its cold enough at this point your not going to see a performance decrease.

power - mmm without a dyno who knows.

knock - ran my E85 car with stock turbo at 22psi with 25 timing many many times with no issues from the E3 plugs

Stock heat range and you cannot gap them. I've had great luck with them so far no complaints.

I thought guys had issues with the E3 plugs in our turbo Buick applications and mostly stayed with ACDELCO or Autolite plugs?

I never heard of any. Of course price would make many people stay with the Delcos. Of course many people on this board are not confortable trying anything new.

There was a E3 thread at one point and I didn't remember anyone complaining about the plugs other than the price. :cool:

This might be a stupid question, but what would happen if you ran gas with the e85 chip? We have a couple of stations here for e85 and I am curious if you could run gas long enough to get to an e85 station. I am sure it would run rich as hell, but any other BAD things that could happen?

if you have to run gas on an e85 tune my thoughts are:

it will be rich by about 30% +

your octane and most importantly knock resistance will be lower

the cooling properties of alcohol will not be present( latent heat of vaorization)

if you can/could stay out of boost probably be ok , if you get on it your rolling the dice

That is what I was thinking also. I was just curious. It is bound to happen sometime that you're almost out of e85 and there is not an e85 station close enough to get to. I am talking emergency use only of gas to get you to an e85 pump.

What some guys do when they know that where they are going has a gap in availability (other than bringing fuel cans along) is to plan the gas fill early enough to only partially dilute down the ethanol. This prevents a swing way down into the very rich AFR while also extending the mpg's a bit to get to the next E85 pump. Going down to 40-60% gas will be a lot better than waiting for the tank to be low and settling for E10-E20.