What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched from stock to a Stock Location Mease stretch a billion years ago. Wanted better performance with the ability to "grow" and the price was right.
With no other changes other than the IC, I was able to run 2psi more than I originally was running without knock. Might not seem like much, but at least it was something.

What would,be the best way to measure pressure drop going from my bone stock intercooler to my RJC 315xtf that I have to install? Would drive pressure drop at the same psi manifold pressure be equal to the amount of reduced pressure drop across the core?

For instance if at say a manifold pressure of 28 psi psi the drive pressure is x and hot side pressure is y, if I change the intercooler and measure drive pressure at the same 28 psi manifold pressure would the change in x be equal to the change in y?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I have some data from last year from another thread. I can only copy/paste it from the iPad tho.

This is my experience and yours WILL very. All temps were in the 70-80 degree range for ambient. These numbers are all trap 1/4 mile temps that I found interesting. This is not a scientific experiment, just some data that I have gathered from my logs.

Gas/Alky and Stock TTA IC @18psi alky 2-3 oclock= 190-200 degrees

E85 and SLIC @24 = 165-175 degrees

E85, FMIC, alky @21 alky at .5= 70-80 degrees

When Running gas/alky, I did not have alky on but maybe 2-3 oclock position.
The E85,FMIC, Alky runs were with the alky just cracked open.

These are just my numbers I thought I would share. I had some time to look into my old logs from last year.

I also have some runs with E85,SLIC, and alky somewhere. I will post up later.

Like everyone, I started with the stock intercooler, then around 1990 I upgraded to a Kenne-Bell "Big Boy" then a few years later upgraded again to a Precision unit which I had only a few years and finally went with a Cotton's front mount. It's very likely the last one I'll ever need because even if I wanted to go bigger, it is nearly impossible to stuff anything bigger in there! Also they're very well built, one by one by Brian Cotton. (y)

Claude. :)
DSCN1006.JPG
DSCN1007.JPG

Charge temps aren't our problem these days. Compressors still 75-80-% efficient typically unless run all in like they've always been.
in my case I only run the turbos all in.i learned that the intercooler must not only be able to handle the temps but have acceptable pressure loss to get the most work out of the comp wheel or your leaving power there.i do know guys that will measure temps coming off the turbo and outlet of intercooler and also set up the pr sensors to get lowest pressure drop they can and run the comp wheel in the right spot.the data is important and seems combo specific.from what I have seen and I may be off base but the proper sizing of the intercooler seems to be the most important to handle turbo temps and minimize the pressure loss to get the most out of a combo,i have broken quality smaller front mounts and with switching to larger units on the same combo no issues but I have also seen ebay intercoolers properly sized on tt v8 applications run 7 sec ets with no issues.2 welded together stock buick intercoolers have made 1000 hp.be interested to see some of your findings as not a lot of info is discussed on this topic on this forum.

in my case I only run the turbos all in.i learned that the intercooler must not only be able to handle the temps but have acceptable pressure loss to get the most work out of the comp wheel or your leaving power there.i do know guys that will measure temps coming off the turbo and outlet of intercooler and also set up the pr sensors to get lowest pressure drop they can and run the comp wheel in the right spot.the data is important and seems combo specific.from what I have seen and I may be off base but the proper sizing of the intercooler seems to be the most important to handle turbo temps and minimize the pressure loss to get the most out of a combo,i have broken quality smaller front mounts and with switching to larger units on the same combo no issues but I have also seen ebay intercoolers properly sized on tt v8 applications run 7 sec ets with no issues.2 welded together stock buick intercoolers have made 1000 hp.be interested to see some of your findings as not a lot of info is discussed on this topic on this forum.
We've found that horizontal flow Intercoolers are way less than ideal when it comes to charge air coolers especially when pressure drop is a consideration. Pressure drop is a really big problem especially when class racing where the turbo is being worked as much as possible. The core needs to get thicker as the tubing gets longer or its not an optimal design. A lot of big heavy Intercoolers out there that don't perform anywhere near as good as they should. Bigger can definitely slow you down! I'm trying to get as much data as I can on various Intercoolers. Nothing is mind boggling about any of the acquired data at this point other than it appears that most of the faster cars are hitting a wall with their horizontal flow Intercoolers. I've got data on alcohol cars (e85+) and gasoline. Alcohol definitely doesn't need to worry about heat rejection anywhere near what gasoline does. But pressure drop needs to be assessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've found that horizontal flow Intercoolers are way less than ideal when it comes to charge air coolers especially when pressure drop is a consideration. Pressure drop is a really big problem especially when class racing where the turbo is being worked as much as possible. T
Vertical is where it's at (y)need alot more airflow for the horizontal units.

Alcohol definitely doesn't need to worry about heat rejection anywhere near what gasoline does. But pressure drop needs to be assessed.
Yup I prefer the vertical and spray meth to drop the in tank temps best of both worlds inmo.

Like everyone, I started with the stock intercooler, then around 1990 I upgraded to a Kenne-Bell "Big Boy" then a few years later upgraded again to a Precision unit which I had only a few years and finally went with a Cotton's front mount. It's very likely the last one I'll ever need because even if I wanted to go bigger, it is nearly impossible to stuff anything bigger in there! Also they're very well built, one by one by Brian Cotton. (y)

Claude. :)
View attachment 268717 View attachment 268718
My intercooler has a vertically positioned core.

As you know Claude, I also had Cottons build my intercooler. Although I'm afraid my set-up can't be marketed to the masses as a bolt in installation.

It was built on my specifications for core size and configuration. It uses only a 3.5 inch thick Spearco bar and plate core. It's configured vertically due to the twin turbo set up. The turbos feed through 2.5" pipe into the top left and right inlet tanks which taper down to the center. And the larger outlet tank tapers larger to the center for the throttle feed pipe.

I'm sorry I don't have very much data to prove it's efficiency. I do know that on any day, anywhere, for any reason, and at all the boost levels I have run so far, my intake air temperatures will drop to ambient or below within 3 seconds or so. Of course, this is with alky being used.

Sorry I don't have a better picture. For a better idea of size, please imagine the space filled in between the pipes shown below. Minus the tanks and small connection tubes.
IMG_0673.JPG
Joeys car pics 004.jpg

Going off what Joey has, the inlet could be on the passenger side top as a 90* facing down off the tank, then vertical core and center outlet on the bottom tank. Wouldn't be that hard to fab by someone with good aluminum welding skills.

I found this picture of a Cartech front mount.
cartech frontmount.jpg

I found this picture of a Cartech front mount.
View attachment 268737
This type of intercooler I bet has a far superior flow capability than the largest horizontal flow. The core is so short there is probably very little pressure drop. The end tanks and piping consume a lot of room though. Would love to see some data on this unit on a higher HP car.
I think there is some room for improvement if we think a little outside the box.......
AG.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some Ebay china vertical ones but the inlet/outlets are only 2".

I ran that ATR one. I wasn't impressed with it. I picked up a few lbs of boost going to a PTE unit. I never logged any temps though.

My intercooler has a vertically positioned core.

As you know Claude, I also had Cottons build my intercooler. Although I'm afraid my set-up can't be marketed to the masses as a bolt in installation.

It was built on my specifications for core size and configuration. It uses only a 3.5 inch thick Spearco bar and plate core. It's configured vertically due to the twin turbo set up. The turbos feed through 2.5" pipe into the top left and right inlet tanks which taper down to the center. And the larger outlet tank tapers larger to the center for the throttle feed pipe.

I'm sorry I don't have very much data to prove it's efficiency. I do know that on any day, anywhere, for any reason, and at all the boost levels I have run so far, my intake air temperatures will drop to ambient or below within 3 seconds or so. Of course, this is with alky being used.

Sorry I don't have a better picture. For a better idea of size, please imagine the space filled in between the pipes shown below. Minus the tanks and small connection tubes.
View attachment 268730 View attachment 268731
Pressure drop data would be useful in analysis. Heat rejection never a problem with methanol injection. I'd be willing to bet you have minimal pressure drop

I ran that ATR one. I wasn't impressed with it. I picked up a few lbs of boost going to a PTE unit. I never logged any temps though.
The quickest and fastest TAI pass was made with an ATR vertical flow Intercooler. Unfortunately he wasn't/isn't logging hot boost pressure so I can't compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.