What kind of pressure are you getting with your Propane?

Vader 87

Licensed
What kind of bottle pressure is everybody seeing in this cold weather....mine doesnt get over 100 psi.....of course i mean without a bottle warmer:) I think this is why im getting some detonation...

Thanks!!!
JM

Mine is right around 70psi when I leave it sit outside for any length of time. that is at roughly 30-40 degrees temp. if i bring it back inside to 75 degree temp it will raise to well over 140. I was getting some detonation too when i tried to tune with it in the cold, so i have stopped till i can get my hands on some type of bottle warmer:(

Originally posted by GNnut
Mine is right around 70psi when I leave it sit outside for any length of time. that is at roughly 30-40 degrees temp. if i bring it back inside to 75 degree temp it will raise to well over 140. I was getting some detonation too when i tried to tune with it in the cold, so i have stopped till i can get my hands on some type of bottle warmer:(

yeah at 100 psi it takes about 1 run to really drop the pressure...what boost were you running at?

Its not really the pressure causing you problems so much as it is the ambient temperature. They're directly related but the root of the problem is the temperature. That's why we also offer a bottle heater.

I have only been able to make 6 runs so far. I gave up on trying to tune it w/o a bottle heater in the cold weather (its now in the teens here in cincy). With the 86 jet i was running 22psi of boost with no knock. this was at a bottle pressure of 110psi and 100psi regulated. which isnt really sufficient bc the bottle pressure should be at least 20psi higher than the regulated pressure (at least thats what ive been told). Im going to either wait till Jay offers his timer controlled heater, or modify a NOS heater to work. (ie remove the thermostat, and put in a momentary toggle like they suggested) before i do any more tuning. I want to have a bottle pressure of somewhere around 180-190 psi because thats what it was when i heated up my bottle to 85-90 degrees F. Once i get this kind of pressure in the tank, i think i can probably easily run 24-26psi on 93 octane, mabey more... who knows.
I was thinking of making a warmer out of a seat heater from a 99 Suburban that i have access to at work, but i will have to look into it more before i decide.

Dan has bottle heaters in stock for much cheaper than you will be able to buy an NOS heater for.

Correct.

I got an email back from someone who had emailed Dan. The heaters are $70.00.

Originally posted by JayC
Correct.

I got an email back from someone who had emailed Dan. The heaters are $70.00.

Any special features with it? Is there a better one in the works?

I called today and there is a better one in the works but I'm going with the cheaper one no timer just a toggle, i think is was $70 give or take $5 I figure turn it on and see how long it takes to get to wanted pressure and you will get an idea.
Dan

Originally posted by Vader 87
Any special features with it? Is there a better one in the works?

There is a model in the works that uses a timer to cycle heater operation. I dont have an ETA in the works on that as I'm really not in the loop on it's progress. Dan and the SpeedShop.Org guy are doing that deal.

Essentially it will be the same heater, just operate on a timer instead of a momentary switch.

That being said, under no circumstances should you ever hook a heater up to a toggle switch. Getting out of the car and leaving it on and forgetting about it would not be a good thing. For that reason, we recommend a momentary switch only. That will prevent such a thing from happening.

well i finally got some good pressure to my tank...130psi.....got the boost up to 17psi and got small knock at about 90mph......this is with the solenoid at 100% duty and the biggest jet in there....of course the tank dropped back down and it started giving me alot of knock on the next run....this thing is too finicky IMO, i think ill just turn my boost back down to 14psi and just use it as a knock deterrent....that seems to be the safest thing to do instead of detonating my motor every other run. Good thing this kit wasn't expensive....:rolleyes:

Or you could try a heater. I said in the beginning that people that lived in cold climates would need a heater in the winter.

Originally posted by JayC
Or you could try a heater. I said in the beginning that people that lived in cold climates would need a heater in the winter.

Ever thought about including a heater with the kit? Are you working on a better heater right now as well? I was hoping to see 20 psi but i cant seem to get away with 17 right now...as far as temps, i live in Florida, if my kit is acting like this then i know everybody farther north is the same....a heater seems almost necessary unless youre making 300 horses or less

Yea, I did think about it. Almost all the testing was done in a climate similar to yours and we didnt need it, therefore I didnt want to toss in an extra $75.00 option that everyone had to buy when everyone didn't need it. Tossing it in and raising the price to compensate for it might not be a bad idea. If I could have seen into the future and seen that we would have weather this brutal, I would have done it without thinking.

Far as working on something new heater wise, yes and no. Yes there is a new control method being worked on for the warmer but as far as the warmer itself, it's the same one. SpeedShop.Org is working on a timer circuit to control the heater instead of using a momentary switch like we recommend. His deal will just cut the heater on for 10 minutes or so then cut off automatically.

I did most of my testing during the summer in Texas. Most of my runs were with the pressure between 120 and 140 lbs. I think we started at 100. Since it has gotten colder I have noticed more variations in performance and tank pressure. My recent dyno runs were made at 120 lbs. I was able to control the tank temperature/pressure with an electric blanket while on the dyno.

The most important thing is to find a pressure you can maintain. Without a bottle heater, this pressure could change during the year and you might have to change jets as well. We covered a lot of ground and ran a lot of combinations to get to what's offered in Jay's kit, but you still need to tune it to your car and climate.