what oils timing chain

what should i do next

I have had a cam sensor pin shear, and know of a couple other race cars that have also had this issue and all were running external oil pumps that exert lots of load on the gear/pin.

Also, have dealt with many aftermarket timing covers that were made off-shore and the machine work was not done properly, and put the cam sensor in a serious bind. Some were so far off, the cam sensor gear would not mate with the cam gear.

So my opinion is that unless you had something go through your pump that sheared the pin, your cover could be the issue.

Did you cut apart the filter to see if any unusual debris is present?

I have seen where a small particle went through the pump and came out, but was in there long enough to shear the pin. That is why I now run a filter with NO bypass so small crap cannot enter the pump and cause an issue.

Did you drain the oil to look for anything in there as well? Unless you have a RJC pan or added another drain with the bung on the outside, you cannot drain all the oil or particles in the bottom of the pan, but the oil may have small particles to indicate if something is amiss.

Then there is another thing you can try which is what I would do first, that is install a new pin in the cam sensor, then run the engine again to see if it was a fluke or not. Would not be the first time a $.25 part just failed and caused so much grief. :confused:

No matter whatever I have said, or anyone else, it is only a guess at this point! :D

i finally got everything out and apart the gear and the shaft through the sensor got very hot thats what made the pin shear off. i already ordered new cam sensor is therwe any way to check the clerance when iput it in. i have spent a lot of money on this rebuild dont want to screw itup. am very anxious to drive it again

You need to make sure that oil is getting on the gear or you may have the same problem happen again.

or if you didn't hottank the block after losing the cam and/or reused an oil cooler you will be doing it again.

Do you still have the stock cover?
I'd put that one on.
I've heard allot of badly machined after market timing covers like Nick mentioned.

D

It suppose to get oil from the cam bearing but never seems to get there.

I drill a small hole in the gallery plug. A simple mod that just plain works.

Something had to bind up to sheer the pin.

It suppose to get oil from the cam bearing but never seems to get there.

I drill a small hole in the gallery plug. A simple mod that just plain works.

Something had to bind up to sheer the pin.

What size drill bit do you use?

i would like to thank everyone for the help i think it is the cover making the gears bind.if i put the old one back on will i be able to set cam endplay without taking engine out

I could be wrong but i think the intake needs to be off to set the cam end play. Maybe there is another procedure.
Also, what Timing gear set are you using? I have a double roller and I had to modify the inside of the factory cover.

D

i would like to thank everyone for the help i think it is the cover making the gears bind.if i put the old one back on will i be able to set cam endplay without taking engine out

You can pull the intake off and indicate off the backside of the timing gear